The Conservative Myth of Government Dysfunction

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Mar 5, 2015.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That’s blatantly wrong. Republicans aren’t for “preserving” anything but their political power and the influence of their financial sponsors. Republicans are all about changing the Constitution in ways that bring about a stronger state which will preserve and expand their political powers, and that is indeed regression.

Except none of that is true, as others have pointed out the middle class existed long before the US Constitution was created. In addition, your assertion is contradicted by history. The US Constitution was created to bring about a larger and stronger government. Our current constitution wasn’t the nation’s first constitution.

The first constitution was The Articles of Confederation which created a weak central government, and the founding fathers found that form of governance unworkable. That’s why they created a stronger central government and created the US Constitution.

Unfortunately for you and your fellow Republicans, history matters to those who aren’t Republicans or self-described conservatives who are anything but conservative.

As other have pointed out the middle class has existed for eons prior to the US Constitution. I don’t suppose you have heard of the Magna Carta, The Florentine Republic, Rome, Athens, etc.

Unfortunately for you and your fellow Republicans, other people do know their history.

And here is the thing; I have never met a right winger who can define for me in any meaningful terms what they mean by “big government”. Perhaps you can be the first?

No, it’s about preserving and expanding Republican Party control and rewarding Republican benefactors. The fact is Republican justices have selectively used the notion of “original intent” when it benefits the Republican Party and Republican benefactors. When it doesn’t, they could care less about original intent. Unfortunately for Republicans, facts matter.

Except Wikileaks has shown no such thing, yeah, we are back to facts matter.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.