The Counscious Defines Time

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Jan 11, 2003.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Nasor,

Time itself is unmeasurable. You can try to define time by cutting into small pieces, but to see the whole things without making it smaller...

The measurement of time is just our perception of it. It can be night here now... but I'm sure in China it is morning.

Besides that, the present of today is the past of tomorrow.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by this? Time can be quantified and expressed in terms of units. Is that not measuring time?
    It is true that our perception of time is not always accurate. This is why we use devices and processes to measure time that are not dependant on our perception. Like clocks.
    Yes, when the sun shines on one half of the earth it will be dark on the other half. I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

wesmorris,

Well, we live in four dimensions, there's little doubt about that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

Hardly. Much of his destruction of "morality" is based on his studies of history and philology.

And kindly don't tell the moderator what to censor and what not to.

ndrs, my "multi"? And is "Justine" yours?

8. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

He declares concepts like the Ubermensch. It is his hope. Surely the blind powers that govern reality must be able to do better than creating just us humans.

His philosophy is an anti reaction. It is passion. He doesn't follow proper logic.

That's as much as he gets.

If I say that maybe something could happen, is that the same as telling a moderator what to do?

9. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

The temptation was too great!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

That isn't true. There is SOME doubt about that for sure. I sincerely doubt it myself. For instance.. why can we be conscious? I believe that's indicative of another "dimension" right there... inward. Just an idea, but all the variants of string theory depend on more than just the four dimensions... so..

plus, the world is (in general, unless you're explicitely captured and tortured or something) EXACTLY what you make of it. In my opinion that is a LOT of power.

11. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I meant AT LEAST 4 dimensions. I read that there are more, but getting into that requires math skills I don't have.

If new age guessing is allowed, I also vote for a big number of dimensions, for example to contain all the possibilities.

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Sure you did.

13. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

14. LaoTzu Registered Senior Member

I Don't Think

Consciousness doesn't necessitate any more dimensions than the rest of the universe does.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Nasor,

That's how we define time into our perception. The brain works this way. It slice everything into small pieces in order to be able to organize it. However, by doing so, a lot of information is actually lost or distorted.

Time itself is the time without someone perceiving it. Imagine if you wouldn't exist. How would be time then? Would time still exist? It would exist for others, but not for you. That's what I talked in this thread. Everyone perceives time in a different way, eventhough to measure time we still use the same units. As we are subjected to time, we tend to measure it.

So time for us is measurable. Time is the object, we are the subjects. But time itself is unmeasurable since there is no subject and object.

It is still our perception. If you and a chinese guy look to a clock at the same time, it is very likely that you will see different numbers in them. It is still defined by your perception opposed to mine.

Again, the time perceived here will be different then the time perceived in China. Besides, the present is always changing its position in relation to the past and future, which also creates an illusion that we are always walking towards a future and away from the past. The Truth is that there is only a present, a present continuous.

It is all a matter of subject and object. If you take into account the subject and object, time can be measured (although not perfectly measured as the distances increase). If you don't take subject and object into account, than all that you have is an everlasting present.

16. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Go look up the Zeno's Paradox thread to see why this is not true. What is half a second? And half of that? And half of that? So you see it can go in to infinity and there is no set unit to measure time by.

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Does time make sense at all...?

If time always existed:
    <--------------------+----------------------------->
    infinite past...present..?......infinite future?

If time was created:
    <-----------------+--------------->
    beginning...middle..........end

If time is an illusion and it doesn't really exist:

?????

18. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Re: Does time make sense at all...?

Time was created by death on the earth..i.e..a beginning and end.,in higher dimesions of reality there is no time
    dominic

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I know, I'm just expressing it to those that don't know...

20. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

Well done Truthseeker ..you really are a truth seeker...

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by that? Have your read my first post at all?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Xev... this thread has absolutly NOTHING to do with Eastern Philosophy!!!:bugeye:

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

Whatever this is, it does not belong with Hume, Descartes, Hegel and Nietzsche. Watching this thread, I see little discussion and much pontification about your Daoist/Christian/New Age personal philosophy.

"Eastern Philosophy" is the closest approximation.

Carry on here. Unless you have a suggestion?