The Dali Lama speaks at Rutgers

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by one_raven, Sep 17, 2005.

1. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

Thank you kindly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kazemi Registered Member

Although I cannot see the beads very well in the video, I would imagine he is wearing a mala (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mala) which is basically a necklace of beads that can be worn around the wrist or neck and is used to count the repetition of mantras (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantra) which are the approximate Buddhist equivalent of short prayers. ie - Om Mani Padme Hum.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Businesswiz Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

You're a redneck jackass, you realize that, right?
    Ingrate.

8. ayla_z It's always here, always now.. Registered Senior Member

The Dalai Lama has had a very unusual life, not because of what he IS personally, but because of what inhabited him, shared consciousness with him. He is not particularly intelligent, I've noticed, and not particularly gifted spiritually, either.

He is like a good book written to explain the TRULY good books to the uninitiated. Worthwhile, but not satisfying in the long run.

I think as a Political Figure he's some good, but as a spiritual leader, he is not much use, really. Nice Guy though......

9. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

I have never heard a thing about him sharing a consciousness. Why do you think that?

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'd like to know why you think that as well.
    What makes you think he is not particularly intelligent?
    What makes you think he is not much of a spiritual leader?

11. ayla_z It's always here, always now.. Registered Senior Member

The current Dalai Lama is the re-incarnation of the last Dalai Lama.
    And that Dalai Lama was inhabited by the one who came before, etc.
    Each is the host of a Lama who previously lived. Each had to pass tests
    as a child to prove he had specific knowledge of the previous life,
    knowledge only that person would have.

His body, at some point, was inhabited by that being who lived
    many lives previously. An example that awareness is not
    a Local Phenonmenon.

As far as Intelligence, we all know where we fall on the scale.
    And a Spiritual Leader is proved by his followers.

The Current Dalai Lama has political role in the long story,
    the next Dalai Lama will fullfill another need..

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I don't understand the allusion.
    Are you saying that you don't believe the Dalai Lama to be very intelligent because you don't think Tibetan Buddhists are very intelligent?

If not, what ARE you saying?
    Please, make it plain.

Also, I am curious if you came to this conclusion by reading any of his writings or hearing his speak.
    I am not saying you are necessarily wrong or should not say what you have, I am just trying to understand why you think that.

13. ayla_z It's always here, always now.. Registered Senior Member

I say we all know where we fall in the scale of intelligence.
    Each of us can tell when we are speaking to someone more or less intelligent
    than ourselves (or reading something written, or spoken by another). So, it is
    not a secret how intelligent he is, not to anyone. I certainly would never say
    Tibetan Buddhists, as a group, are not very intelligent.

<a href="http://www.ayla-z.com">Ayla Z</a>

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think that's a particularly sophisticated view of reincarnation. You see, you are also a reincarnation of the Dalai Lama, and so am I. I think he is quite intelligent and spiritually advanced, but that's a matter of opinion.

15. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Would you not hold with the idea then, that there is a continuum of mind, and that the subtlest of minds carries with it karma and merit accrued; giving rise to abilities and circumsatnce in future lives?

would you only hold that our aggregates disolve on death to be reformed later without karma or merit attaching to any one (or all) of those aggregates; and that karma and merit are only experienced in so much that all of our words and deeds go forth into the universe creating a chain of effects good or bad, which will be experienced later by our various aggregates in the form of other beings?

Also - do you think the sophistication of an idea has any bearing on the truth of it?... either way.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think an idea has to be sophisticated to be true, perhaps it was a poor choice of words, I only meant to convey that the commonly held view that reincarnation is just like the Christian soul, only instead of heaven it goes to another body, is not, in my view, what Buddha really meant.

I think there is a continuum of mind and body. I don't think Karma is accrued individually, but collectively. The mind is also a collective phenomenon, but this at least can be transcended.

17. dudhab Registered Member

Someone once said

"Do not overlook negative actions merely because they are small; however small a spark may be, it can burn down a haystack as big as a mountain.

Do not overlook tiny good actions, thinking they are of no benefit; even tiny drops of water in the end will fill a huge vessel. "

He then went on to say

"The results of karma can not be known by thought and so should not be speculated about. Thus thinking, one would come to distraction and distress. Therefore, do not be the judge of people; do not make assumptions about others. A person is destroyed by holding judgements about others."

18. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

I think that karma is accrued individually and collectively, and yes minds are joined at some level, but the individual mind carries karma with it until the individuality is transcended.

But thats just my personal and current understanding.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  19. water the sea Registered Senior Member

No, wait, how does that go ...

"Tibetans are lazy and dirty peasants! All of them!"

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Ayla,

Your stance on the Dalai Lama's intelligence is really special. I'm a bit baffled.

Here's a story for you, about the Cucumber Sage.

21. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Water,

The story - brilliant. Thanks for sharing it.

But

.... Does the Dalai Lama eat cucumbers then?? ......... only joking

he he he

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

The lesson that one is to learn does not depend on the qualities of the teacher.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think the lesson is the qualities of the teacher.