The Double Slit Defraction Experiment

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Erring Flatley, Apr 18, 2004.

1. PhysMachine MALLEUS SCIENTIARUM Registered Senior Member

Just out of curiosity how does one run into these "lineal waves" mathematically?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

I have been thinking about about what I just said and once again I misspoke. I have a great tendency to call a lineal wave "spherically symetric" but in fact it is not. It is symetric about the line of travel, but it is not spherically symetric about a point, moving or not moving. For a continuously propagated wave train of photons of one wavelength the amplitude of the electromagnetic vector at any point on the line of trajectory is a simple sine (or cosine) wave. It obeys the principles of simple harmonic motion mathematically. It has always been difficult for me to visualize a single photon, but now I see it as simular to a single cycle of a sine wave (360 degrees) but with the line to the right and the line to the left falling or rising toward the base line with infinity. (We really need a blackboard here.) Do you visualize that? This form is not that strict though because the wave is a ripple in the electromagnetic field defined by the electron and the electron's beginning and final position play a role in the amplitude of the vector in the field. This modified sine wave as measured along the center path of travel fades off in all directions perpendicular to the central axial line of travel. The direction of the vector remains the same. It is the vector that defines polarity. The photon and the electron are defined by their fields, not by their centers, and their fields extend to infinity. Questions? Have I said that clearly?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

http://lighttheory.com/

Light is not a wave. It consists of two particles that look like wave. Get real, its time to growup, don’t remain a kid all ur life, Stop talking light as a wave that is history. Stop acting like a human.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

The theory has at least one fatal flaw. If light were two electrically charged particles, it would be possible to bend light using only an electrically charged plate. In fact you don't need a very fancy experiment to falsify this theory.

8. PhysMachine MALLEUS SCIENTIARUM Registered Senior Member

Erring Flatley, what you just described is called a "plane wave." It's one of the solutions to the free space wave equation, and what you are describing of light is the classical result of Maxwell's equations. I'm still not entirely clear of what your point is, exactly. Perhaps you could clarify.

9. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

What makes U so sure that that oppositely charge particles of light are electric in origin. Electricity has to do with electrons, U r confusing atomic particle with light ones

10. AndersHermansson Registered Senior Member

If your theory says that these light particles have charge that is measured in coulombs, it also says that the particles have electric charge and can be disturbed by electric fields.

11. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

There was Honda Corp. research Physicist that did double slit expeiments where the number of electrons emitted made it rare event when two electrons arrived simultaneous at the two hole slit. I think the researcher was Sato.

12. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

The best definition of a plane wave I could find is in Alono-Finn, Fundamentals of University Physics, QC 21.A4 v.2 p.699. A plane wave might be thought of as a spherical wave brought to infinity. Imagine a fire cracker going off. The compression wave is a spherical wave. As the radius of the wave front approaces infinity it becomes a plane wave. A plane wave is a two dimentional wave happening in a space of three dimensions. I am not describing the photon as a plane wave. I am describing it as a lineal wave. I cannot find anyone who has defined "lineal wave" in publication. A lineal wave is a wave happening on a line. But the line exists in a three dimensional space. The wave projects outward from its origin to infinity. It does not expand in space as does a spherical wave. The best analogy I can think of at the moment is that it is like an air compression wave moving down an organ pipe. If the pipe were made one dimensional and had a glow about it caused by the compression it would be more analogous.