The Evangelical Atheist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Feb 26, 2008.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Would Christianity have stopped the Nazi plan? No. Many of Hitlers trusted aids, SS, and commanders were Christians. Almost all of his soldiers were. All German soldiers had "God is with us" on their belt buckles.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

It sounds like the state nationalising assets. The same happened to farms, and factories Sam, and to infer something different is involved when church property got appropriated by the state is again, dishonest.

Anyway, the challenge to you was to name one historical atrocity that can be attributed to atheism. As you have stuffed straw men in the meantime I guess that means you admit defeat.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So can you prove why a theist would not be doing it for the same reasons?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Spidergoat, your wrong.

Phlogistician,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

....oh nooooo.

8. John99 Banned Banned

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

Also, Adolf Hitler. But anyway, the debate isn't whether Hitler was Christian, it's whether there has ever been an atrocity committed in the name of atheism, and so far, Sam has failed miserably to demonstrate there has been.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

He was educated by Catholics, and yes, later became an atheist, but you think his mindset changed completely at that point too? Or did he go on to emulate the actions of those that edcuated him?

Whether he was an atheist is immaterial, the point you fail to grasp is that the atrocities he committed were in the name of Communism, not atheism.

Stalin, Hitler, Saddam Hussein, and Augusto Pinochet all had moustaches for instance, but none committed their atrocities in the name of 'The Handlebar Club'!

11. John99 Banned Banned

Without a belief there is\was no limits to the cruelty and atrocities perpetrated by the examples given. I tend to agree with that but of course in no way am i saying that Atheism alone had anything to do with these historical events.

She is right about them being anti-religion, except Hitler dabbled in all sorts of odd beliefs. In all these vicious dictators their paranoia included a distrust for organized religion, to the point of it being an outright enemy of their goals and ambitions. But like i said, criminal insanity is not really dependent on religious beliefs.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

Again you are being dishonest Sam, that isn't the challenge. It's up to you to show that an atrocity has ever been committed in the name of atheism. The communist party appropriated assets, and the motivation was the same for all of the assets, there was no particular malice shown for the church.

But if you wanted an example of a theist performing similar actions, I need only point you at Henry VIII, who took church assets, and smashed monasteries. Again, the same motivations, the appropriation of assets and the dismantling of a competing power base.

So theist/atheist makes no difference, it's politics.

Please stop being dishonest and meet the challenge set before you.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Which came first, the desire to perform any acts deemed necessary to purify the nation, or abandonment of Christian values?

Considering that belief in Christianity is a matter of faith, not logic or reason, it's hardly an effective deterrent to immoral acts.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Aside from the obvious guesswork in the "he became an atheist" assumption, we recall this:
    usually attributed to Jesuit scholastic maxim.

In any case, the use of theism's grooming of a populace by tyrants and oppressors is well established - if it is one among various tools available to tyranny, still that is a valid criticism to be laid against it. And the evangelical atheist who does that is not wrong.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So let me get this straight, if a theist attacks another country, its all because hes a theist, but if an atheist kills 20 million people, his atheism is incidental?

So why did they need to re-educate the people away from "superstitious notions" to appropriate assets?

Is Dawkins a Muslim too?

So is atheism's. To even more horrific levels. All in the quest for the good society of course.

Nah just lost track. Which posts do you want answered?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

These are supposed to be your responses? Pathetic, sam.

uke:

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who is more likely to lie about his beliefs in a majority Christian country? A theist or an atheist?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Still waiting to hear your secular humanistic response to the unlawful detention of tens of thousands and deaths of some by torture.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, as to take the heat off this pathetic thread?

Sorry sam, you buried yourself with this one. Sams credibility = 0.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So no answer huh? I guess Gitmo will not receive any Mo bears from anyone.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Hey sam, when are you actually going to get around to answering everyones posts here? You did create this silly thread, why can't you follow up? Of course, your pathetic OP was SO easily crushed by many here.

Can we assume this is your response? ---> :runaway:

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well its clear to me that "secular" atheism is not equal to secular humanism. And those who say it is are only fooling themselves. This was the answer to your claim that atheists are somehow secular humanists.

The massive deaths under communist regimes may have been politically motivated but the transgessors were atheists, so becoming an atheist does not translate to peace and love.

The fact that you were willing to send off 20? bears to support an anti-religion stance but have ignored the incarceration and torture of tens of thousands of possible theists shows your secular "humanism" for the shallow claim it is. You could not even bring yourself to express an opinion about it, for God's sake.

Clearly evangelism by atheists should not be mistaken for a path to the "Free World"

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

A patently fallacious argument. Nixed. Next.

An opinion to a patently fallacious argument? Ok. Here ya go ---> :wallbang:

Clearly. Let's instead follow the path of the faith based evangelist, to rewards in heaven after death.