The financial consequences of winning the lottery

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

This paper from 2010 examines whether giving large cash transfers to financially distressed people causes them to avoid bankruptcy. Findings suggest that skepticism regarding the long-term impact of cash transfers may be warranted.
    In other words lottery players may have a tendency to be more reckless with money.
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1324845

What would you do with your money if you won Powerball lottery?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

A tricky question. I must admit, I have no good idea how to inspect myself for a faithful answer. Having alot of money tends to corrupt people, and how could I be sure to resist?

The current idea is about this:

- Invest some of it in highly secure and/or diversified investments for security against inflation and currency troubles.
    - Try to find investments which give a yearly payout, and decide firmly not to touch the invested sum, but live from the payout.

- Give some of the money away to
    -- Healthcare and similar organisations, maybe also medical research
    -- Care organisations for orphans, poor and/or old people in my region

- Furthermore try to hide the money from everyone, and live modest to avoid being begged and pushed by self-proclaimed "friends" to help out with the money. Give small, unsuspicious amounts of money in cases where it deems me worthy, e.g. to help a person whom I care about, bei it a promising artist, an inventor or a friend of mine who is in trouble.

That's the plan my mind makes in the non-corrupted state.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Does anyone here actually buy lottery tickets?
    If so:
    Why?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You know the answer. Why ask?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I rarely ask rhetorical questions.
    The above was not one of them.

9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

It could be argued that lottery tickets are a good investment - high possible return for minimal investment (though the probability of gain is low).

But no, I don't buy them.

If I won a billion dollars in Powerball, I'd probably quit my job and give up my bus pass - but I'd go and visit my former co-workers in a chauffeur-driven limo.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

All right. Apologies.

People buy lottery tickets as a way of hedging their bets. A $1 investment weekly is manageable versus the huge payoff if you win.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What I have done throughout the years is just write down the numbers I would have used if I went and bought a ticket. Over the past 50 years or so I've never come up with the winning numbers so I have not lost money. Instead I put my money into treasury bonds which at first gave me about 4% return. So I've never spent money on gambling so I've never lost any. If I had bought tickets during that 50 years I would be thousands less in savings so I'm glad I never got caught up in that lottery scam.

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Me neither. I have never bought a lottery ticket.
    I was, and remain, curious as to whether any of our peers do so, and why.

13. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

Not me. Knowing that it's made so that they can keep 30% of the ticket shows that it's not a fair business at all. I'm not going to support that with my money.

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Drink a lot of beer and stay out all night! ~Homer Simpson

I'm not eligible for Powerball but I do on a rare occasion get random numbers for the 6/49.