The God Delusion - ongoing review

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by GeoffP, Feb 28, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is that what Dawkins says or what Einstein said?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How so?

Well, yes, obviously, since anything done by a supernatural being is a miracle. Isn't it?

It's what Einstein said.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

He also said he wasn't an athiest or wholly a panthiest

Denis Brian, Einstein, A Life, New York, 1996

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

so
    shall we ridicule pantheism?
    this pathological need to apply a failed concept, god, to explain the workings of an entirely mechanical universe?

8. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I was responding to the implicit 'merely'. As in Einstein merely believed in a Spinozian God. You then go on to mention some possible characteristics of this God and they are pretty wild and sound miraculous. Not merely because a supernatural being did them. Were they done by some guys in Switzerland it would take a lot of work for me not to believe these were miracles. Oh, my wryness may lead us off track. I hope you see what I mean. Even if that was the God he meant, we are still dealing with something that pretty much every atheist considers 1) incredibly unlikely 2) not supported by evidence.

9. Gustav Banned Banned

Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations. (einstein)

indeedly doodly

pardon
    is god really a failed concept or does it hang error free?

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There's nothing "known" about the location of my car keys, at the moment.

We were talking, actually, about the role of faith in establishing objectivity, while exploring the unknown. I observe that it is counterproductive in the exploration itself, in many simple instances of such exploration (it's difficult to avoid "finding" what one strongly believes in) and interferes with what most people term "objectivity" in any case I can think of.

But as you note, it contributes to motivation - exploration is a time and energy intensive activity, only occasionally fruitful, and most who actually do the work of exploration begin with a sense of what they expect and hope to find.

Hence the necessity, when exploring the unknown, of some means of discarding the reified expectation that is the most common finding of explorations. For this, reason has proven invaluable. Faith that will not answer to reason has no claim on respect or consideration, then.

In the case of car keys, it's Sherlock Holmes's maxim: when the impossible has been eliminated (and there's no BS about it - after the third check of the coat pocket, they aren't there, period, nothing about "imminance" or "transcendent presence") what remains (the ignition, draining the battery all night) must contain the truth.

In the case of deity, eliminating the impossible involves clearing a much higher bar - people really, really want to believe those keys are in the coat, and if it takes quantum tunneling between pockets to put them there, quantum tunneling has to be considered and eliminated to satisfy Holmesian analysis. That's impossible. So the other forms of reasoning, the other legit techniques of rhetoric and persuasion, come into use.

And rhetoric, reason, is what it is - - - not science. Dawkins is not doing science, in the God Delusion.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yet, another reason why you should shut up and read the book.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The keys may be in the last place you look for, but you're not going to continue searching unless you believe there is a key to find at the end of it.

I believe that science is limited by the simple fact that it lacks what Einstein calls truth and understanding. For that you need an input from religion, otherwise, really why bother?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As for the rest of the bells and whistles, I find Maududi makes an excellent case, when discussing the question of what constitutes belief or apostacy:

Not everyone needs the same thing from religion.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The keys may be in the last place you look for, but you're not going to continue searching unless you believe there is a key to find at the end of it.

I believe that science is limited by the simple fact that it lacks what Einstein calls truth and understanding. For that you need an input from religion, otherwise, really why bother?

As for the rest of the bells and whistles, I fond Maududi makes an excellent case, when discussing the question of what constitutes belief or apostacy:

Not everyone needs the same thing from religion.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

But that's the known, not the unknown. You don't need faith for that.
    And yet so many do bother, without theistic input. They seem to find deity unnecessary - do we have then a concrete example of the "invisible church" of the Christian Protestant tradition, and if so where's the Christian God ?

A mystery.

Unless we resort to the observation that the inculcation of meaning, what that same Protestant tradition terms the "holy", is also accomplished through art, music, dance, philosophy, storytelling, humor, etc.

And we note that the least conventionally religious (theistic) of the physicists working on the Bomb at Los Alamos were the ones most likely to have public moral and ethical reservations about Hiroshima.

So that Einstein may have had no religion, and if a God certainly not a recognisable one from most theists' point of view, but he had a violin, and a profound sense of morality.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

And so many of those devote their lives to NO GOD rather than KNOW GOD.

And yet, its the ones closest to religious traditions that trickle down and survive, time after endless time.

Not enough to design, build, test and use it, apparently.
    And then continue to build them.
    And an understanding that without God, it was incomplete.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So the role of faith in exploring the unknown is agreed to be about what I described - an important motivation that without explicit and rigorous regimentation by reason produces self-delusion ?

Devote their lives ? Hardly. The subject does come up more often than is reasonable.
    Not your God, or anything much like your God - you objected to it's being called a "metaphorical God", but there's no way to fit it into the Abrahamic tradition. You can't pray to it, for example.
    No, but compared with the strong theists on the team, a certain extra moral depth is visible, no?
    It's the other way around. Religion, historically, parasitizes and leaches off the arts - first there are rock bands, then Christian rock bands, for a recent example.

People have always sung. Choirs came later. All the musical instruments - except maybe the pipe organ - borrowed. Art and sculpture - developed by despised libertines, coopted by the church. Stories and legends, plays and performances, the very melodies used for hymns - millenia of plagiarism. Holy days - coopted from the local festival traditions, piggybacking the religion on people's desire to get together and have a good time.

Formal theistic religion is a mooch. It has the same relationship to the artistic spirit at the foundation of the soul that a loan shark has to the productive efforts of the human city.

I'll bet Islam takes credit for the Taj Mahal.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think without faith, people can accomplish nothing.
    Clearly.
    The Hindus do.
    No, not when they take on Militant atheism and devote their lives to demonising or killing people for being different.

Not where I come from. Religion is the exploration of the unknown and music, art, literature, philosophy and science are all expressions of that search.
    Clearly popular enough that even atheists will get involved. See any going in the other direction?

Unlike formal athiesm, which is only about books, TV shows and videos that preach to the choir.

The Taj Mahal is pretty unIslamic, considering that its just a fancy grave, and Muslims are not supposed to mark their dead. Though part of it is a mosque.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

One would have to be living in a cave or completely brainwashed by their religion to make such a statement, or simply intellectually dishonest. In this case, the latter is probably dead on, backed by religious indoctrination.

It is an insult to every free thinking mind.

Faith is about worshipping sky daddies and has nothing to do with accomplishing anything other than what faith has already provided; war, oppression, fear, violence to all those who do not share that particular faith.

Any Islamic state will demonstrate their "accomplishments."

19. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I think she means before you do something you have to have faith that it can be done or else it won't happen. Even that isn't true but at least it's not as insulting. If you don't succeed then try, try again.

Faith in sky-daddies is another thing. Not sure what faith in an unproven entity actually accomplishes. If I say I have faith in God then what have I accomplished? Did I put an imaginary creature in charge of the universe? Is that a worthy accomplishment? Was that my goal, my something?

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sure. Doesn't mean its good for objectivity, though, especially if it doesn't answer to reason.
    Probably ought to get a Hindu to agree with that one. At any rate, you can't, nor could Einstein - it isn't anything like the Abrahamic God.
    It's a mooch where you come from, too. Takes in, and takes credit for, every scrap of human soul in the community. Originates nothing except its own beliefs.
    If your bar is the only dance floor in the county, everyone will come to your bar - even the teetotalers.

Which is fine - but don't give the beer credit for everything from the music to the boots.
    They - the ones we're talking about - didn'[t do that. That was a bunch of your precious theists, fighting the Godless Communists, who did that.
    No such thing.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Searching the unknown is not necessarily an objective proposition. In fact, I'd say looking for a meaning to the universe is very much subjective.

Depends on who you ask. Karma for example, is a very Hindu concept arising from the same God.
    Which is why there is a culture stretching back 5000 years and a sense of belonging to it. More meaningful than racheting up hatred on television.
    Yeah, begs the question why teetotalers are unable to come up with an alternative option and insist on hanging around and preaching abstinence.

No they only hang around without drinking.
    That expalins why the godless made so many notches on their bedposts that they are left holding only the chip on their shoulder.

Are you OUT?

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Thinkign you've found it, and having it agree with your expectations every time, is what is subjective.
    Isn't there supposed to be a karmic penalty for doing that - claiming other people's stuff as your own ?
    No less for being fictional, though. Is there some reason that can't be a part of it ?
    So the battle against the Godless Communists,with hundreds of theists building ICBMs in the service of their God, wasn't that big a deal, or what ?
    It's not a begged question, it's an accusatory answer.

You steal people's stuff, take credit for their work, and monopolize their enjoyment of it, you can expect a few complaints. Give back what you took, or at least acknowledge it, and they might go away.

Not my crowd. There is no formal atheism, SAM. It's a meaningless concept.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You know, one could easily say all of the above about atheists.

Now they not only want to take credit for all that religious society has given them over the last thousands of years when they could not muster a lasting society, but they also want to make up a religious group and still call themselves unique!