The Higher My Debt, The Higher My Credit Score

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Bowser, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I took on some substantial debt last year and, strangely, my credit score went through the roof. I'm not certain why that is. My credit card bank wants to upgrade my credit card. It's the craziest thing ever.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not crazy at all. You now have a track record of paying back debts. That's a critical metric for lenders.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I have always paid my debt. The only thing that has changed is the amount of debt.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Same thing happened to me - not recently, years ago. This is an old pattern - one of the reasons so many religions forbade the loaning of money at interest, especially compound interest.

It makes perfect sense if the goal is debt peonage - which would be the obvious best outcome for the moneylenders involved, from a competitive free market point of view.

The basic idea is to own your paper (an older term) - have you obligated to them, not their competitors - when a short run of bad luck prevents you from paying as you go, "temporarily".

This bad luck is - for obvious reasons - likely to coincide with general economic troubles in your economic world, which cripple your ability to dig out in various ways (often including the adjustment of the interest rate on your debt) - the outcome is a large population of responsible working adults who are handing 10 - 25% of their monthly income to a moneylender for the past use of money already repaid.