The History Of SCIFORUMS...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by The Flemster, May 24, 2004.

1. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

As a relatively new poster to the site, I've become fascinated by the heirachey (I can't spell) of the place.
    I was wondering if someone could fill in the history of Sciforums, as I think it is quite possibly one of the best sites on the Interwenet.

Sorry to shove my tongue that far up your arse, but there you go!

The Flemster.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I can tell you my own little bit. Dexter was the first moderator of scifi, he was replaced by Pollux V, and then I took over for Pollux. MalloryKnox was the first Sciforums troll. Porfiry's name is Dave, and his first sci-name on this site is DaveW.

Tiassa is the longest standing member, he's been here since 1999.

Free Thoughts original name was going to be Free Thinking or Random Ideas or something. Any questions?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the info, CC. Just one question though:
    What's a Sciforums troll?

The Flemster.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

A sciforums troll is someone who is annoying and causes trouble and uses to much rhetorical debate. Past trolls have been MalloryKnox, Whatsupyall (AKA MuscleMan), etc. Just check out their names in the member list and read the threads that they posted in.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

and Crisp...he/she still posts.

9. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

Cheers. Any more for any more?

The Flemster.

10. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

The person who needs to answer that question is the creator of this wonderful place - Porfiry aka Dave. He has maintained this site for years and the fact that he still does it is amazing in itself. Moderators have come and gone. Members have come and gone.
    But I think anyone who's ever joined and left will come back and see what's been going on at some time or other - it's just that good. Flemster, I think if you take a look through the archives, you'll find many threads giving this forum a very good review. I still love it.

Cheers
    Teri

11. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

has anyone ever come across another forum like this on the internet?

-gw-

12. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

There is another forum similar to this ... it's www.physicsforums.com. But I'm not advertising it or anything like that ... I'm just answering the question.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Actually, MalloryKnox was not the first major troll. She was my personal favourite...but I'd say HowardStern was the first; he faked his own death after september 11th, and 99% of us believed him.

14. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

the history of this place would put a kid with ADD on 7 hits of sucrose to sleep. this isn't as good a forum as some of you think it is. venture out there a little more.

15. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I think this forum is mature (overall

) I go to other forums to have some silly fun, but I am not a forum surfer. I have this one and a couple fun ones and that's it. I think there are my kind of people here who can debate, be serious and who have twisted senses of humour.

16. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I constitute a troll as being someone whose been banned; also really annoying, mean, a bitch, etc. Howard is still here, Mallory is not. Mallory was the first troll, Howard was just a jackass.

17. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

The history of Sciforums was primarily about a small group of people who were first interested in pure science. . A small, somewhat rude little crowd, with not much tolerance for cut-ups, vulgarity, and sawed-off, little pug-nosed assholes of bad Science Fiction television shows! Many of the other places for the various members/points of view, were added by "Dave W" as a way to accomodate the new members/ideas, as well as a way to hopefully keep nonsense posts out of the more serious science oriented areas.

Tiassa was most likely in Porfiry's mind when the old, first religious forums were created. It was also the first thread that I landed on when I first came to Sciforums (by finding the buried link in a long forgotten search engine).

"Free Thoughts," was created almost entirely with me in mind (Porfiry's mind). Again, it was a way for me (and others) to vent/post anything, as long as I/we didn't bother the more serious members in the other threads. The newer Cesspool is a greatly exaggerated version of Free Thoughts. NOBODY used more unacceptable language than me, at the time. Nowadays, I am shocked somewhat, at the kind of language used, even/especially by moderators. I guess Porfiry still sees me as the "loose Cannon," though. I'm not sure if I ever did ask Porfiry to become a moderator...

There have been so many good writers here,.....but some of them that I remember...and that you should take the time to read (especially considering the crap-heads that are posting nowadays) :

kmguru I just saw that he was here recently.....tech, physics....
    boris physics, math, california dude.........
    cris (moderator)british immigrant to US.....dry sense of humor, general science, tech...was engineering computers the last time I talked to him....(couple years back)
    Bowser India/USA....All around good dude, good humor, religion issues, never tried to make enemies with anyone. Sciforums has never been the same since Bowser left.
    Banshee(moderator)..............

Bebelina(CO-MODERATOR)..............

wet1(moderator) general science, intelligent, level headed, good natured, put up with a lot of my BS, ...good friend.
    Randolfo saw on the board tonight, good writer...
    Oxygen(moderator)...religion, decent all around character, cow god....moo..

kept trying to run me off of his forum.....

....and....many others that i have forgotten........

If I were looking at the Sciforums posts for the first time, I'd go back & look at the posts made from the very beginning(1999) up to 2002 (starting with the members that I have listed).

There were quite a few interesting people@Sciforums from 1999-2002. But most of them are long gone or have left in the past couple of years. The last one of the older members that I had talked to was wet1. He wrote me that the newer members were behaving so juvenille and disrespectful toward other members that he had just about had enough. That and the lack of any really serious science discussion (or science oriented posts). I don't blame wet1 and many others for abandoning this forum. It's now just a place for vulgar, hateful, small-minded fools, with an axe to grind.

Someone hacked my user ID, sometime in past couple of years, & deleted around 800 of my posts. I hardly ever post here anymore, then only to rattle the cages of the mindless animals here.

I wouldn't be a damn bit surprised if Porfiry sold the site to some large, impersonal company. If I were in his shoes, I would. Either that or just shut the whole fucking thing down, take the money saved & buy a new kangaroo belt...........or something useful.

18. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

Wow!
    Cheers, Howie!
    That kinda fills in some blanks. I was beginning to think I'd asked the unaskable question, or something!

The Flemster.

19. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

I want to revise some of my harsh criticisms. There are still some exceptions:

Physics & Math moderated by James R

Earth Science moderated by Tristan

Computer Science & Culture moderated by Stryderunknown

20. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Damn...I feared as much. What great guy...put up with a lot of my early BS too. Peace Wet1.

21. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Really? Wet1 told me (And other mods) that he no longer had an internet connection at work. Things went downhill in certain forums after wet1 left--because he left.

22. HOWARDSTERN HOWARDSTERN has logged out.... Registered Senior Member

From what I've read of you, counsler rigel, I suspect that most people tell you what you want to hear, just to avoid your nagging dribble.
    Humorless jerk.

Since I haven't sent/received mail from wet!!!!!!!!!!!~1 in close to two years, I can' t (and didn't) say that it was the absolute reason that he left. I just stated that he had expressed that he was tired of silly f*uc**king morons like you. So get your F**king facts straight, ass**H*LE

BTW, I have never questioned Dave's decisions in regard to moderators, since most of them have been OK people, with at least the intent of doing a decent job. But in regards to you guy, I am really wondering if Dave has been doing acid (LSD) or something to make a guy like you into a moderator.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  23. Rick Valued Senior Member

Yeah,I miss 'em too.Cris was a great poster on intelligence and machines forums,Chagur,Wet1,Banshee,Adam.etc..Km,Stryder to me have been regular posters here for a long while...

Hey i am an olddie here too...

bye!