The Holy Grail for the Sciences

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by PsychoticEpisode, Jan 13, 2009.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Well then...
    I guess I'll get right on it.
    Give me a few hours.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I have some pretty sad notebooks filled with speculation from my highschool days. I was really sure that I was onto something. Now they look like excellent props for a movie about retarded people or a serial killer. Just notebooks full of numbers and diagrams.

If you want to get started with this, I can tell you a way to become enticed very early on. Draw spokes coming out of the center of the page. Start with 6 spokes (12 spokes are also informative).

Now, write numbers down each spoke, changing spokes as you count. Sets on each spoke will look like:

[1,7,13,19,25,31...]
    [2,8,14,20,26,32...]
    [3,9,15,21,27,33...]
    [4,10,16,22,28,34...]
    [5,11,17,23,29,35...]
    [6,12,18,24,30,36...]

The even sets can be tossed out. Which brings up the first batshit crazy theory of mine concerning prime numbers: The reason current prime number theory doesn't work is because mathematicians have defined prime numbers incorrectly. They use the definition "A number whose factors are only '1' and 'itself'". This is an arbitrary definition used in order to accommodate the "Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic" which is that all numbers can be generated from Prime Numbers. This has created a fascination which makes the definition Holy, and for no real reason. It is all arbitrary hokum.

To me, numbers signify something real. Like sticks that we count. In my batshit-crazy theory, Prime numbers are numbers of sticks that we can not divide evenly between two or three people. This means that 1 stick is a prime number, but surprisingly, 2 sticks are not! We give one stick to each person. Likewise, 3 sticks can be divided perfectly amongst three people, each person gets one stick. So, '3' is not a Prime number either (in my batshit-crazy theory, mind you).

Clearly all multiples of '2' and '3' will also result in even distribution of sticks, so every number on those spokes, and the spokes opposite which are just the "twice many" spokes can all be ignored as "not prime numbers".

Which leaves just two spokes full of all the "prime numbers" according to my batshit crazy theory:

[1,7,13,19,25,31...]
    [5,11,17,23,29,35...]

The only numbers here which are not "prime" according to the sane theory are the numbers which are products of two numbers along these two spokes. So, we hit 25 first, which is 5*5. Next is 35 which is 5*7, etc...

Which led me to postulate, about 18 years ago, that the secret to prime number distribution was not one equation, but two. The first to create these two spokes and the second to remove the products of their occupants.

I hope this is enough to get you started with filling your own journals! Enjoy the sensation of having people move away from you in public spaces!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Isn't your method also completely arbitrary ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

YES! It is batshit-crazy.

But, since my only goal was to determine large primes in order to transfer your bank account into mine, I didn't give a shit if the '2' and '3' had their feelings hurt.

I thought my arbitrary method would lead to results while their arbitrary method is equally arbitrary but also an immediate paralytic.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I see

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Never bathing also works with no mental effort required.

Yes, but do you feel sorry for their product, 6?

6 is very worried because it is next to 7 and you know how it goes. I.e. Seven ate nine.

My mathematically inclinded grand daughter told me this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  10. markl323 Registered Senior Member

i think the mother of all holy grails is immortality. if you can live forever then eventually you'll be able to figure out everything you want to know about the universe.

i'm not a physicist but i think time travel is not possible according to what we know today. it's too hard to imagine something like that :bugeye:

:shrug:

11. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Can't have everybody going to the same event, might get crowded.

12. arbol del viento Registered Senior Member

A.I. as a language that make understandable (translate??) any kind of data from any field of knowledge to another .. wich may have heuristic capacities???... just mixin up some wittgenstein & carnap on the rocks... i know, i know, binary language exist, and the unified sciences were a failure.. but still.

and sorry for not get interest at all by time travel.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How to prevent this from happening all the time!

14. jmpet Valued Senior Member

The ultimate scientific discovery is that there's a 6 dimensional sub-universe and our spacetime universe is only skipping its surface.

Until you can define pi, you're wrong.

If Cosmic Inflation is true, then so must time travel.

15. eddie23 information sponge Registered Senior Member

What gravity realy is.

16. Stephen Mooney Registered Member

How about a paradigm that specifies how everthing is formed and evolves.

A materialist typology type paradigm. I'm working on such a paradigm at present.

Would you believe that galaxies and stars are formed from the emission called space within a context of the increasing density of emission. Would you believe that that explode once the density of the impacting emission becomes to great.

Would be believe that the big bang theory is wrong. The light from galaxies increases in wavelengh as a product of its travelling and not because the galaxies are accelerating away.

Would you believe that you can not measure cosmic distance from the redshift in the light from galaxies and stars.

All this is contained in the essay "Debunking Physics with a Materialist Perspective of the Universe". I can't give you a url as I'm yet to reach the 20 limit.

Stephen

17. Stephen Mooney Registered Member

How about a paradigm that specifies how everthing is formed and evolves.

A materialist typology type paradigm. I'm working on such a paradigm at present.

Would you believe that galaxies and stars are formed from the emission called space within a context of the increasing density of emission. Would you believe that that explode once the density of the impacting emission becomes to great.

Would be believe that the big bang theory is wrong. The light from galaxies increases in wavelengh as a product of its travelling and not because the galaxies are accelerating away.

Would you believe that you can not measure cosmic distance from the redshift in the light from galaxies and stars.

All this is contained in the essay "Debunking Physics with a Materialist Perspective of the Universe". I can't give you a url as I'm yet to reach the 20 limit.

Stephen

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

welcome S.M.

You can trick the filter by things like ww. or wwww. instead of www. or "point" instead of the actual period.

Times are tough. I need a good laugh so I hope you give your link.

19. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

The one the world need the most is Star Trek replicator technology. Something to get us off a market system and to get rid of the need for money. I imagine free easy access to replicator technology would both solve most of the worlds current problems, and probly create a whole lot of new ones.

While we might beat poverty and hunger... we would most likely see an increase in deaths from drug over doses (unless filters can be applied) and mayb an increase in ideological based warfare.

Im not sure humans are ready for this kinda technology, but I felt the same way about nuclear energy.. and were still alive.. mostly.

20. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

Dude sooooo easy,

Coding DNA. Figuring out how to write in DNA code. ULTIMATE

21. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

retraction.... Star Trek replicator, for sure. Cuz it can write DNA code AND give me a beer!

22. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

Gravity is gravity.... duh. What else do you want? Just because you cant see it does not mean it isnt there. Gravity is a function of mass. Ta Da!