The importance of clocks

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Aphrodite, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Aphrodite The Goddess of Love Registered Senior Member

Sorry if you guys (and gals) have discussed this before, but I think it's an interesting topic either way....
    What do you think about time? Does it really exist or is it just some ploy to sell clocks? Useful? Stupid? What about time travel?
    ****Try not to be TOO philosophical.....my small brain can't handle much

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-Aphrodite

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

CLOCKS

I think clocks are just there to deprive me of my sleep. They are instruments of the Evil Blind Watchmaker. >: ( =(>)=

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Oh really, and just where would us cookoos live if it weren't for the swiss ?

Waddaya mean trees? I'd freeze me nads of without those two little doors to keep out the chill, why I oughta...

BANG!!!

Well that's enough out of him, where was I?
    Oh yes

TIME!
    It exists!
    I thank you!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Time is a subjective reality which is basic to the world we know. It's the term we use to describe the fact of change. For there to be change, there must be time. If you move, that's proving time since you're being non-static.

Time is objectively an illusion, not a real thing but simply another dimension just like width or height. The cause of the illusion, in simplified form, is that we can't perceive the time dimension through our senses, rather only through memory.

Clocks define our increments of movement. Clocks are non-static, but they change in a predictable way so we can use them as a way of comparing with other changes. When a hand on a clock moves to point to the next second mark, we can compare to all our other movements by saying, for example, that it's about the same amount of time that breathing in once would require.

Oh, and you can time travel by setting your clock back.

8. The-Hybrid Registered Senior Member

omg... it worked! I turned my clock back, and hit refresh. The SAME POSTS came up again. You're a genius!!