The language police up their game

Discussion in 'Politics' started by iceaura, Oct 8, 2018.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In the Orwellian world of the media operations behind Republican ascendancy and the movement that must never be named, corporate influence and inundating amplified repetition have been the framing means.

But with victory comes confidence, and the thugs emerge from their alley hides:
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...gh-final-straw-conservatives-ask-change-title
    We're going to see more of this. Might be worth tracking in a thread.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

There are many people who considered themselves conservative who object to sexual assault and believed Prof. Ford. However in the age of Trump, they are branded as non-conservative.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Bewildered question:
    What is it that conservatives in America conserve now?

Xelor likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Their privilege.

8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What about the poor ones with no jobs or crappy jobs?
    I suppose they figure they can lord it over some out-of-favour group, like women and other migrant labour.

9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Much like the poor whites who supported slavery. There's always somebody to blame.

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Kiss up; kick down. Conservatives approve of "strong leaders" and vertical lines of command.
    I just heard today that conservatives value loyalty above honesty, and I'm inclined to believe it. (Hence: "My country, right or wrong.")

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Exactly. "Hey, I may be lazy and unemployed, but at least I'm better than those blacks/women/Muslim/illegal immigrants."

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I was raised by a single mom (from age ten onwards), with a chronic and debilitating illness and a job that payed just slightly more than the minimum wage. She voted for Reagan. Her views have evolved quite profoundly over the past 30-odd years, but I could never fully make sense of that.

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

My mom didnt closely foller politics, just voted republican like dad, an after dad died, she paid attenton to an Obama speech an was then tickled pink to vote for Obama.!!!