The Letter "A"

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by torrent, Nov 19, 2005.

1. torrent Registered Member

I believe that the reason why "A" is the first letter in 9/10 alphabets is because of the following.

Humans have two natural instincs: eating and sex.

When either of those happen and you receive pleasure, you release an "aah" sound.

Therefore, it shows the importance of sex and pleasure in our human nature.

Discuss.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. valich Registered Senior Member

"aah" and "uhh" are mutually identical and neither sound like "A." "U" could therefore be equally the first letter. In any case, to find the reason, it's a historical linguistics question that involves looking up the roots of the English language.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I am not sure about the letter "A" but I think "B" looks like a pair of tits.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Blindman Valued Senior Member

If the true big brother existed, we could comprehensively do a study of human utterances during sex. With is information we could then deduce from 9/10 alphabets that the importance of sounds in sex, is a direct link to its order in the alphabet. Thus the last letter in the alphabet that has the least to do with sex should be Zzzzzz, and Yawwwn...

I think you're on to something here Torrent..

8. valich Registered Senior Member

Around the 12th century, in Old English, the letter "A" came from the word "an" meaning "one," or also possibly "on," and also "ein" in Old High German (the "a" in "an" was pronounced like the long capital letter "A" is today). This then came from the Latin word "unus," which came from the Old Latin word "oinos," which originally came from the Sanskrit word "eka." All meaning "one."

9. Jolonar Being of intellect. Registered Senior Member

Hmm.... Well, my name starts with the letter A. And I don't think the letter A sounds like "aah". "aah" sounds more like "r".... get the picture you fool?

10. valich Registered Senior Member

It cannot phonetized it accurately over the internet. The Old English "an" was pronounced with an A sound like the capital letter A in English today, get it? This came from "un," and so forth through the generations. This is called the "origin of words"? Historical phonetic linguistics? Get it?

Why would you call me a fool??? These are the facts.

11. Satyr Banned Banned

I don’t know about ‘A’ but I suspect that the first sound ever made by a human being was breaking wind.

The ‘A’ sound seems like the easiest to produce by a human being, but the connection to sex and eating seems a little far-fetched.

I usually say “Ohhhhhhh” and “Iiiiiiiiii” after sex or a good meal.

During a meal I say “Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm” and during sex I say: “Huh?! Hurrah!!!!!”

12. Zook Registered Member

The least to do with sex?!

I'm a guy, I fall asleep right after.

13. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

You also have to think that a massive amount of commuication has to come before sex, for example promise of gifts and D.I.Y.

14. valich Registered Senior Member

The origin of the first letter of the alphabet has absolutely nothing to do with all this!