The McLaughlin Group

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ivan Seeking, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

I don't know if anyone else here watches or has watched The McLaughlin Group. I've been watching it since it first aired in 1982. John McLaughlin missed the show today for the first time in 34 years. It has been clear for some time that his health is failing. There were days I wasn't sure he was going to make it through the show. Today he still narrated the intros for each segment and was barely intelligible; so much so that they added captions. I've been thinking for some time that John isn't long for this world. Today seems to confirm that.

I remember when I mostly agreed with John. Now I mostly disagree. He has been the butt of SNL jokes and skits, and has been emulated by any number of comedians for his distinct and overstated style. But his show has always offered a balanced approach to intelligent discussions of important issues. It has provided much insight and understanding over the last three decades. Beyond that, I feel like I'm losing an old friend. I'm afraid it's the end of an era.

"McLaughlin
    John McLaughlin is the creator, executive producer and host of two of America's most talked about weekly public affairs programs: The McLaughlin Group, which premiered in 1982, and John McLaughlin's One On One, first telecast in 1984.

Dr. McLaughlin's incisive journalistic interviewing and moderating style, coupled with his wry sense of humor, have earned him numerous awards for The McLaughlin Group, and a reputation as an oft-quoted newsmaker for his acclaimed John McLaughlin's One On One. Both highly rated, the programs air nationally on select CBS-owned stations and on public television stations coast-to-coast. The McLaughlin Group also airs internationally on U.S. Armed Forces Television, and on the WORLDNET satellite service operated around the world by the U.S. government.

From 1989 through early 1994, Dr. McLaughlin also produced and hosted McLaughlin, a lively, probing one-hour nightly talk show on CNBC Cable. During its five year run, the program earned three prestigious Cable ACE Award nominations.

From 1981 to 1989, Dr. McLaughlin was Washington editor and columnist for the National Review. His monthly column, "From Washington Straight," provided readers with the inside story on politics and world affairs from the nation's capital.

Before his broadcasting career, Dr. McLaughlin served as a speechwriter and special assistant to Presidents Nixon and Ford, and was associate editor of America, a weekly opinion journal. He also taught and lectured throughout the U.S. and abroad.

As an international journalist, Dr. McLaughlin has visited Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and Pacific Rim countries, giving him a unique perspective on world affairs. In addition to regularly interviewing the major political and governmental figures in the U.S., he has conducted interviews on location with world leaders such as Mohammed Zia Ul-Haq, President of Pakistan; Miguel de la Madrid and Carlos Salinas de Gortari, both Presidents of Mexico; Garret FitzGerald, Prime Minister of Ireland; Valery Giscard D'Estaing, former President of France; and Oscar Arias Sanchez, President of Costa Rica. He met with King Hussein of Jordan and reported from deep within Kurdish territory when he interviewed Prime Minister Tansu Ciller of Turkey."

As a preeminent news personality, Dr. McLaughlin is frequently called upon to make guest appearances on a variety of local and nationally aired radio and television programs as well as major motion picture films, among them, "Dave" "Mission Impossible" and "Independence Day."

John McLaughlin holds a Ph.D. from Columbia University, and two Master's degrees from Boston College."
    http://www.mclaughlin.com/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.