The Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Leviticus, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Imagineth
    I agree with you. I probably wouldn't use simple minded, but rather people with a lower consiousness. We are all one. A simple message but contains great truths. Only when we see ourselves as a collective, all our problems will be solved.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

I think "What is the purpose of life is an interesting question," which I would approach very carefully, and I am no dummy. Yet, the number of you who so specifically state what it is, is amazing. To me, just without thinking too much more than I already have, it seems this question could be answered at least from two points of view. One would then be, "Whatever we each think our purpose is, and what we do with it, is all that can truly be said of our purpose." The second (and there endless possibilities, but I give two), is that we come here, to this earth with a plan, so to speak, and what happens to us is a universal thing, to which we may harmonize our desires, or fight against. Therefore, as a self-admitted non-expert on the subject of the purpose of life, these are my thoughts. PMT

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MISSunderstanding@ Registered Senior Member

Hi:
    Does life have a meaning? Aren`t we finding a meaning for life to make it purposeful? For me, it is very hard to answer this in a way to be convinced.
    We come to this world without our consent. Up to now everybody must leave the world, willy-nilly. So we try to find a meaning to amuse ourselves and to show that we are different than the animals and superior to them, as it is so in religious thinking where man is the crown of the creation.
    thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

MISSunderstanding posted these words: So we try to find a meaning to amuse ourselves and to show that we are different than the animals and superior to them, as it is so in religious thinking where man is the crown of the creation.

Who is "we." Not once has it ever entered my mind that I need ever show this world that I am different than animals, nor do I know anyone who seems to be of this persuasion. Therefore, I am curious why you think this, if this is truly what you think. Secondly, I think that I would be a bit amazed if I could--on this forum--read anything seemingly unreasonable, or lacking sufficient cogitation, that would not be applied to "religious thinking."

Is religion the scapegoat of all scapegoats? Is it, to the majority of those who post on these pages, the epitome of the moronic? Is it the necessary "bungler" to keep fresh academia looking good?

How about some real thinking! PMT

8. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

*throws arms around Alain and kisses him on cheek* yeah! go me! you dumb, dumb shites... i am so much smarter, and alain is close to my smartness so listen to him too!

9. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

It is always a test to receive a compliment. PMT

10. Morteza Olangui Enemy of the people Registered Senior Member

Hi everybody:

Have you set yourselves ideas and goals ? If not, I advise you to do so.
    Imagineth had a wonderful saying: life creates purpose. So when you have found purpose in life, or are following your set of goals, if sublime, the better, everything turns itself into a meaning. Your "life creates meaning" for everything you do. Even kissing your dearones, going to the bathroom, eating and anything else becomes meaningful.
    Have you ever seen a footbaler not wishing to score? I have never met such a person. When they all enter the soccer court they all have a goal. To score and win the game.
    What will happen if they all felt that the football game is without a goal or a purpose? They would not even try to move the ball.
    I, myself, think life has a sublime meaning, which is concealed from us. The more we endeavor in that direction, the things become more clear.
    quac -quack, thanks

11. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

*hand shoots up into the air* yeah! yeah! me! me! I HATE AFL! (Australian Football) my god! I prefer to just spend the time lurking as a goalie...

12. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

M. O. / Glad you are inspired. I wish I could joke like some of these people, but, not to sound corny, but I do not wish to offend; nonetheless, you sound a bit like Amway sales people. That is supposed to be a joke; better to sell Amway than to be idle.

From my observations, many of the people on this forum are self-motivated, and way ahead of your advise. Why do you think we are goal-less. Just curious. pmt

13. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

Meaning of live = 0/0

14. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

Semon posted these words: Meaning of live = 0/0

Is that the best you can do? Come on, tell us what you really think!

15. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

The question is so vague as to be meaningless.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The question of the meaning of life can be better understood by asking, what is the meaning of music?

17. Winter de Ballestero Registered Member

Perhaps the meaning of life is something derived from the human need to classify objects, organizms, etc. Just as we give names to these things we give meaning and purpose to life, thus putting reason to something that may be too large or abstract to fully grasp otherwise.

18. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

I thought 'what is the meaning of life' is a silly question made by human beings. It made me go crazy. So I avoid myself to think about this question. Then suddenly I asked myself what am I doing? What am I do it for?
    I think the meaning of life is anything encourage you to do something, such as happiness, sadness, pain, love, desire, your mind. Those things fight together. The one which win will make the decision for you.

This is how I think. Hope this is not too stupid. please excuse my poor English

19. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

Hey Semon, we are all in this life together, whether we like it or not. Therefore, you know about as much how to answer that question as any of us, because we all see things through our own lens, so to speak. Life can have little or no meaning at times to one of us, but this is an illusion, often brought about by distress and despair. We sometimes forget how much we influence one another. As long as there are people who will look us in the eye, or otherwise acknowledge us, the concept of meaning is encouraged; yet to depend on that would be a big mistake.

Your English is fine, and nice to hear from you. pmt

20. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

We always want to give meaning to things like we do to other animals.
    We ask this question because we are not satisfied with how we are living so we want to have a meaning of why we are living like this and give this a great purpose. When we are soaked with joy we actually won't ask this question. We can give life a meaning the way we do to other things, just some statements. We cannot think outside of life. The infuence to each other is actually one of our natural purpose since we want to prove that we exist. This is a natural desire.

21. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

After 30 years of existence I can only offer this small bit of advice:

The weak ask "what is the meaning of life?"

The strong say "this is MY meaning"

Be strong. Decide what your meaning will be. Then make it so.

22. e-bow Registered Member

If you haven't discovered the meaning of life yet, then at least you have something to look forward to having.

And when you do find that special meaning, do you think the experience will leave you feeling elated or disappointed? Or perhaps temporarily intoxicated with delight and followed by a hangover?

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If your meaning of life is something other than life, then your meaning is merely symbolic.

Biologically, the meaning is continuity and change, reproductive success coupled by natural selection.

Humanistically, we find meaning in participation in a group endeavor. We like to feel that we are working towards an end point, a goal. In the past, we probably worked towards the prosperity of a small band of people, finding food, making tools. Now we are separated from that, no wonder we feel lost. I don't think primitive people ask this question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.