The Merlin Roadster

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Success_Machine, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

My post on the lisensing is based on an article in Poular Mechanics covering the vehicle. If you have a more reliable source of information then I stand corrected.

I live in Germany and I saw a motor scooter with a roll cage like roof and even wipers on the windshield this weekend. Can anyone get more info on this thing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Success_Machine Impossible? I can do that Registered Senior Member

I hear it's really expensive

Way too expensive. On a side note I got a ride home from a co-worker in what appeared to be a 4-door sedan that seats five. Ha! I had to sit sideways in the back seat, my feet were too long to put on the floor without first turning them sideways in order to get my toes under the driver's seat, and then turning them back straight again.

I tell you, most 4-door sedans already are 2-seat cars. There is no way I'd ride in that car for more than a few minutes. The Merlin Coupe just means the owner has accepted reality.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I will NOT get a car that I have to curl up to get into. And that doesn't mean that it can't be a light efficient one. There's a difference between weight and volume.

8. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

How about the difference between the ground and the sky?

9. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Perhaps if I get a pilot's license.

10. Success_Machine Impossible? I can do that Registered Senior Member

Skycar?

Can you drive the skycar on the highway? If not you might as well buy an ultralight, there's lots of different styles and kits available. Some of them fold down so you can tow it home from the airfield behind your car.

Skycar does look a bit overpowered for highway use.

11. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Re: Skycar?

Depends upon what you consider to be the highway.

The picture is from a hover test done in July, so it's still going to be awhile before even pilots can make use of it. It's possible specs are:

• Fit in your garage.
    • Only needs road to get to takeoff/landing location.
    • VTOL (ie. no runway needed).
    • 300mph in flight (ie. much faster than an ultralight).
    • high flight ceiling (I forget how high).
    • redundant systems plus parachute.

This could change the organization of cities dramatically. The first area I see it potentially being used is the SF Bay Area as a sky taxi service between major cities. As more "vertiports" are installed and the cost of the Skycar comes down AND the automatic flight control systems improve, people could spread out more and reduce conjestion on the streets at the same time (there's a lot more real estate in the sky than on the ground).

Of course, this is all still years away.

Then again, maybe the Solotrek will get here sooner. It's fun to dream...

12. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

A million dollars was the last price I new on the skycar. I doubt it will drop below 200 grand.

13. bobbapink Registered Member

Coffin

Does that $18,000 include a funeral plot?

It looks like a death trap to me.

14. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Re: Coffin

In comparison to any other motorcycle on the road?

15. bobbapink Registered Member

Re: Re: Coffin

Yes, confused.

Seems to me it has all that safety disadvantages of a motorcycle and none of the advantages. I’ll go through a short and very incomplete list.

Motorcycles are far more maneuverable.

Motorcycles are far more vision friendly.

Motorcycles are far more fun.

Motorcycles do not generally prompt others to tailgate.

Motorcycles generally necessitate helmets/headlights.

Motorcycles ride higher (view wise for the rider and observer)

You can (convince yourself that you can) jump off in case of imminent danger. (I’m joking a bit here but honestly, I’m not sure which I’d prefer – road rash or road smash)

So yea, In comparision I’d say it looks a large bit more dangerous than a motorcycle.

Your thoughts?

16. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Coffin

With respect to the "Roadster", you have some points because of it's "open" configuration. I see the roadster as kind of a three wheeled version of the typical police motorcycle (think "CHiPs"). The question is how good is the shell around it (the open top, though, means you could be ejected up in a crash).

I remember reading on the web-site that the shell would be built of a high-strength composite akin to what is used in motorcycle helmets. If you feel safe wearing a little bitty helmet on your head, then aren't you going to feel a whole lot safer if the helmet surrounds your entire body? Assuming the shell doesn't disintegrate in a crash and the seat belts hold up (big ifs), I could see how you'd be safer than in a motorcycle. The rounded configuration and the elasticity of the composite shell may mean that you'll "bounce" off of things in lower speed collisions (but how low is "lower speed"?).

With a strong composite shell, I don't see it being any more dangerous than riding in a Mazda Miata, Porsche Boxter, Cooper Mini or BMW Z3. It "looks" like it should be safer (especially in the coupe configuration) than most motorcycles I see on the road. However, just because it's a motorcycle under the hood, doesn't mean you should go driving it like one.

17. zira Registered Senior Member

Merlin Roadster versus Harley

As I can see on the photo,

you would lay down in that roadster nearly like in a bed.

How would you see the road in front of yours ?

Quite different from the posture on a Harley.

18. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Doesn't appear to be any different than sitting in a low sports car (like a Porsche). It's a reclined position, but it doesn't appear to be "flat on your back". Unless you're a very small person, it looks like there is a lot of straight ahead visibility.