The mindset of one-upping

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Does admiring someones health, and future amount to admiration or envy?

btw there is not right or wrong it is only understanding that matters...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

There isn't a right/wrong way to view this, but envy is a riskier mindset than admiration (imo), is all I'm saying.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

absolutely... as these last posts indicate...
    The thing is that the behavior of envy has been recorded in history for thousands of years, the word itself was coined about 1400 AD with the word Admiration coined about a century later.
    The behavior in it's earliest forms is simply "Desiring something for yourself you do not have that someone else has"
    Using the above definition: This can be entirely destructive but it also can be incredibly productive.
    When envy is transformed into admiration as the ego matures, it gains the productive quality....IMO

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

One could suggest that envy is only a destructive form of admiration...due mainly to a weak self esteem and be done with it...

8. river

Envy , can also be a motivation towards a better life .

Quantum Quack likes this.
  9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''Be done with it,'' eh? Is this the same guy who has threads that go on for months?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

jk

I'll leave you with this...imo, envy stems from a place of inadequacy, and doesn't radiate happiness for another, usually. Admiration stems from a place of respect and genuine happiness for another, and while the two can potentially motivate people to improve themselves, one idea stems from something negative, while the other stems from a positive place.

My point being, be careful which wolf you feed.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It's a bit like the following statement/claim:
    "Racial discrimination is not necessarily racism"
    First reaction is usually a hostile "How dare you question convention?"
    My response is "I question everything....convention included"

Human beings must discriminate to make sense of the world ie. orange vs apple... But this is not "fruitism". Racial discrimination happens continuously in our thoughts and beliefs.
    It becomes racism when the pejorative definition of discrimination is applied.

Example statement:
    "I accept that I am racially discriminating but do not accept that I am racist in my discriminations."

A similar rational can be applied to Envy

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

We know.

I wouldn't say that admiration and envy are comparable to your example above, using racism. Racial discrimination stems from racism...but, both could be considered forms of racism. They're both born from the same place.

Admiration isn't born from a feeling of resentment or inadequacy, like envy. Envy isn't defined as merely admiring someone. This is just how I've come to view it.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Really. Hmm. Okay, I'd like to explore this further...but, tomorrow is a new day.

My question is - how can one be ''racially discriminating'' but not ''racist'' in his/her discrimination?

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You can't. He is just playing with words to find a difference with no distinction. He uses discrimination in the "discerning" sense when he wants to make that point just as he uses "envy" in the "admiration" sense.

It seems he's based his whole internet presence around that. This is the only reason that his threads go on for months. He asks meaningless questions, trying to appear "deep", when it's just gibberish designed to keep all conversations going on forever, like Jan Ardena.

"I question everything. Let's explore this..." "I say that "envy can be positive if I use it when I really mean admiration but I'm using it in a deeper sense than you are"... "Racism isn't racism. Let me explain. I admire Jimmy Hendrix's curly hair...I'm acknowledging that he is black with curly hair but it isn't negative racism". It isn't racism. It's simply being discerning enough to know that Hendrix is black with curly hair (your eyes tell you that).

Earlier he asked something like "If I admire you am I envying you?". This is his kind of word salad. He just said he was admiring you so...he is admiring you.

But we can explore this tomorrow...

14. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i would like to comment further on your point but im not going to give any clues or ability of trolls to use what i say to trick and abuse others.

16. Sancho Banned Banned

yes that is confusing. Sancho doesnt discriminate.

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

... full time working mother manages to almost maintain global title as number 1 sports woman...