The morality behind veganism

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by wegs, Oct 8, 2016.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I imagine it would be a bit charred.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Mother's milk?

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The lie is that we need milk from another animal in our diets for good health. We don't.

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

You may be rich.

But I know people living on the streets that require sustenance in any fashion they can get it.

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'm not rich, but it's interesting that you think cow's milk is providing them with ''sustenance.'' Unless you consider growth hormones, antibiotics, and milk from abused cows to be ''sustenance.''

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I didn't specify cows milk.

All I'm wanting to convey is that eating meat is not immoral.

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  12. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I sometime eat things that aren't dead. Is that immoral? Or just fun?

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That's where the corruption and inhumane business practices lie, in many of the dairy factory farms. There are humane farms, but for the sake of this thread, I'm talking of cow's milk.

Not all meat, no. Some farms believe in the ethical treatment of their animals, and I don't see anything wrong with someone wishing to consume meat, but I'm hopeful that this thread at least brings some awareness as to how many of the farms in the US are conducting their businesses. Many cows in this ''system''never see the light of day because they're born in a factory setting, and they remain there until they die. There's something profoundly wrong with that, in my opinion anyway. I wish I could say that it's a small percentage that operate like this, but it's not.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid to ask.

Truck Captain Stumpy and Dr_Toad like this.
  15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No, we aren't. Nobody is accustomed to thinking of appetizing food that way except a few employees of such operations.

When people are aware, they eat better food.

If you are genetically set up to drink milk, it's good for you - in moderation, like anything else. Humans don't "need" any single food.

16. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Mmmmm - it's good to be an omnivore!

wegs likes this.
  17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That's my thought when I look at Spam and Hot Dogs. They say it is meat, but...?

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Beware of ''they'' lol

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I've worked for "they"

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Ugh, so gross!!! I used to like a hot dog now and again so thank you, that's cured me forever!

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There is much about processed foods that we don't know and don't want to know.
    Best option: don't put anything in your mouth that you have not seen from its origins.
    Ideally, we would all participate in vegetable gardening and harvesting - yes, in the cities! yes, in high-rises! yes, in slums! yes, in cold climates! - preserving and making our own food.

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I worked at a bakery for a year... an the forman said i coud eat the cup cake stuff in the boxes next to the wall... an i coudnt beleive it... all the free bakery deserts i coud eat... an after about 6 mounths i discovered that those boxes contained extra cakes that wasnt needed in curent orders... an they didnt have date codes on 'em... an when they did need some of 'em for an order the forman woud hold the cup cake up to the light an look thru the plastic to see if ther was any visible mold... an if ther wasnt he woud run 'em thru the date code machine an they received a curent date code... but no big deal cause i had alredy stoped eatin that garbage when i saw mouse nests bein dumped into the giant mixer bowls as the flower was added... an also saw a mouse get squshed in the convayer belt chain an mouse juice squirted all over the belt which had cookies on it... an the forman wiped up the juice in between the cookie dough on the belt an sent the cookeys to the oven to be baked... an also... the grease machine wasnt workin good an the forman stuck his hand down in the grease to clean the filter an pulled out a handful of bugs... then the machine worked great an we was back in bidness makin cupcakes... yum yum.!!!

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My experience in the industry has been reasonably positive. Hygiene was always an imperative--washing your hands before returning to work, wearing hair and beard nets, not being allowed to work if having a cut or open wound. No jewelry was allowed. We had to inventory all tools before and after a shift. All product had to pass through a metal detector. Machinery had to be thoroughly cleaned whenever we switched to a new product. All doors into the facility had to remain locked 24/7 to prevent anyone not authorized from entering the facility (Federal Law). They were constantly vigilant and on guard against rodents and insects.

Regardless of the mechanized nature of processed food, I believe most companies try very hard to provide a safe product.