The morality behind veganism

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by wegs, Oct 8, 2016.

1. river

Sure

Yet e-coli is still a problem .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Some try hard; some skirt the rules. Most processed foods are probably free of rat feces and bits of human finger....
    ...but that doesn't make them necessarily a good nutr4itional choice. Sugar and salt content, preservatives, peanut and palm oil... overpackaging, overpricing.... shipping .... middlemen...
    Just don't buy the stuff!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It has happened but I don't believe it's a huge problem.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Well, yeah. If you can find and afford unadulterated food, that would be the better choice. Of course. I think it's hard to escape processed food in general.

8. river

People demand for healther foods is the key .

No nitrates etc.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That has happened to some degree. The industry sees the market and tries to fill the demand in some way. There are a lot of products that list their advantages. "No GMO" seems to be a popular slogan right now that I'm seeing on packaging. I've also seen "Free Range" on meat products. Another on might be "Grams of fat per serving." "Low Sodium" is another. It's all still processed food in my opinion. The only way to really get away from it is to buy directly from an organic farm or a store that offers only organic food,

10. river

WHAT is processed foods in your opinion mean then ?

I get organic food ; I buy when I can ; and can afford it.

But again what is processed foods mean ; to you ?

11. Bells Staff Member

The production of almond milk is also not exactly environmentally friendly.

In fact, the production of almond milk, from growing the almonds themselves, to grinding them up, mixing it with water, is a laborious process that is not only not environmentally friendly, but you are also not getting the actual benefit you would get from eating a couple of almonds.

Let's look at the production and issues with growing almonds to cater for the almond milk crowd:

To cope with the surging almond demand, farmers have been drilling into the ground to tap into aquifers.

"Overpumping of aquifers threatens infrastructure like roads, which stand to collapse into sunken ground," said The Atlantic. It could also trigger earthquakes, explained a seminal piece by Mother Jones last year.

Another knock-on effect is the collapse of honeybee colonies. California uses about 60 per cent of the US's managed honeybees to pollinate the almond trees, but up to 25 per cent are dying from the pesticides.

The death of that many bees from the pesticides they use on the trees is terrible from an environmental standpoint. The amount of water required to grow the almonds, is, well, ridiculous. And with a growing market, more and more trees are having to be planted to cater to demand. As a result, precious ground water, is now being depleted to cater for the demand of almond milk.

It is not sustainable, it is harmful to not just the environment, but to animals like bees who play such a vital role in the ecosystem.

A look at the nutritional value of almond milk makes it even worse.

A single ounce (28 grams) of almonds—nutrition info here—contains six grams of protein (about an egg's worth), along with three grams of fiber (a medium banana) and 12 grams of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (half an avocado). According to its label, an eight-ounce serving of Califia almond milk offers just one gram each of protein and fiber, and five grams of fat. A bottle of Califia delivers six eight-ounce servings, meaning that a handful of almonds contains as much protein as the mighty jug of this hot-selling beverage.

You are better off drinking water and eating a small handful of almonds than drinking a glass of almond milk, which uses up much more almonds and loses pretty much all of its nutritional value in its production. For example:

Califia does make a couple of splashy nutritional claims: "50% more calcium than milk," the bottle declares, and "50% RDI of Vitamin E." Almonds are a great source of these vital nutrients, but not that great. Our ounce of whole almonds contains 74 mg of calcium vs. 290 mg for a cup of whole milk, and 7 mg of vitamin E, about 37 percent of the recommended daily intake.

How does Califia's beverage manage to outdo straight almonds on calcium and vitamin E when it lags so far behind on protein and fat? Again, the answer lies in the ingredients list, which reveals the addition of a "vitamin/mineral blend." All fine and well, but if you're interested in added nutrients, why not just pop a vitamin pill?

Moreover, almond milk isn't just a few nuts packaged with lots of water. It often contains additives. For example, in addition to vitamins, the Califia product, like many of its rivals, contains small amounts of carrageenan, a seaweed derivative commonly used as a stabilizer in beverages. Academic scientists in Chicago have raised concerns that it might cause gastrointestinal inflammation.

Califia is not the only brand to be lying to their customers about their almond milk. Europe are seeing similar lies about the nutritional value of almond milk being posted on their merchandise:

On cartons of Alpro (“enjoy plant power”), one of the market leaders that uses almonds grown in the Mediterranean, there is a picture of an almond breaking open as if this elixir of good health is exploding out of it. But, like many other brands, Alpro’s almond content is just 2% – the biggest ingredient is water, followed by sugar. Like most others, it also contains additives such as stabilisers and emulsifiers. The amount of sugar is less than the natural sugars found in cow’s milk, so it has fewer calories, but there is also less protein – 0.5g to the 3.5g you’ll get in the same amount of cow’s milk. Protein, says Helen Bond, spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association, “gives a feeling of fullness, it helps you to feel fuller for longer, and a lot of people are trying to get their protein intake up”. Dairy, she adds, “is a really great source of a readily available form of calcium, so you need to look for plant-based milk that is fortified with calcium, essential for maintaining bones as we get older”.

Like quinoa, another staple of hip “health” obsessives before it, production of almond milk also appears to have a hefty environmental impact. More than 80% of the world’s almond crop is grown in California, which has been experiencing its worst drought on record. It takes 1.1 gallons (5 litres) of water to grow one almond, and thanks to the big profits they bring in, almond orchards continue to be planted (this isn’t to say cow’s milk, which takes about 100 litres of water to produce 100ml of milk, is more environmentally friendly – more that its production is not concentrated in one area of the globe).

Almond milk is delicious, because they add sugar to it to make it palatable. They also add all sorts of stuff to it, to try and give it some nutritional value. I agree, you are better off popping a vitamin pill than relying on almond milk for your daily intake of vitamins and proteins. It contains very little by way of almonds and more synthetic powders to mimic vitamins and proteins and of course sugar to make it more palatable. It is one of the reasons why I refuse to allow my kids to have it. It isn't that healthy and it is not environmentally sustainable. They eat a couple of almonds and that has more nutritional value than a bottle of almond milk.

There are alternatives to dairy out there, that have less of an environmental impact and that are sustainable and healthier for you than drinking what is tantamount to a couple of almonds ground up, added to water along with many synthetic powders and sugar to meet its claims that it is "healthy".

Alternatively, do your research on sustainable dairy farming, and buy from companies who support farmers who treat their animals humanely and who offer a more natural grass fed dairy product. It is not only healthier for you, but also better for the environment.

Truck Captain Stumpy and wegs like this.
  12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Processed food is a manufactured product. It is engineered with the specific aim of appealing to the consumer while also maintaining a long shelf-life. Organic food is processed to an extent, depending on the product, but in theory its origin and process doesn't involve any man-made additives to enhance its characteristics. That's how I view it.

From Google

13. river

In what way is organic food , processed ?

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It depends on the product. At the very least it may need cleaning, sorting and packaging. At the most it might be combined with other organic products.

15. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Well, you are a toad. I once saw a small frog trying to eat a large long worm. Half the worm was wrapped around the frog the other half down the frog's throat. I didn't wait around to see the outcome.

16. kx000 Valued Senior Member

No they dont get to eat, angels are passive to the cattle and they are death, they get to eat them. Demons are impassive, they dont know a thing.

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Interestingly, I've always only eaten almonds as a snack in order to obtain ''good fats.'' Never viewed them as much more than that, to be honest. And I'm not keen on ''adding'' supplements into food products to boost their nutritional value. I'm aware of the environmental concern with almond milk, and you could be right - that eating 25 almonds with a glass of water would be a healthier snack, and not as detrimental to the environment. Cow's milk can be less offensive from a health standpoint, IF the dairy farm provides ethical treatment of animals as a practice. But, we still don't ''need'' cow's milk, to be honest. I think that we have been conditioned since childhood to viewing dairy products as healthy, but that's just how the dairy industry has been marketed, in my view. I think that you bring up great points, and agree in that if someone wishes to not go vegan, he/she should take the time to research where their food is coming from at least, and only buy from humane dairy and cattle farms. It's worth it.

[I've recently been introduced to ''hemp milk,'' which some people say tastes disgusting, others like it. Might be good for cooking, as an alternative, too.]

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's ethical to eat defenseless plants. I only eat things that can fight back.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  20. Bells Staff Member

If you are not lactose intolerant, dairy is healthy if it hasn't been flavoured with sugar and the like. The same with most things really.

Personally, I rather my kids have a glass of milk than a glass of almond milk. Not only are they getting more nutrients and vitamins from a glass of milk, but without additives that almond milk has.

It also provides a quick and healthy way to add calcium to one's diet. Calcium that is more easily absorbed.

Non fortified almond milk (ie almond milk that contains not supplements as additives) provides no calcium.

If I want my kids to take something with supplements added to it, I'd rather just save the hassle and get them supplement pills and avoid the almond milk. Or I can give them a glass of milk. While high in fat, they are not lactose intolerant, it is a safer and healthier option for them. At the very least, I know they are getting the nutrients they need while growing.

My kids consume 3-4 servings of dairy a day. From milk in their cereal for breakfast, to yogurt and hard and soft cheese. I am thankful my children are not lactose intolerant. If they were, then I would be forced to find alternatives for them. Goat's milk maybe? Or I would simply switch to a lactose free milk, which are now very popular.

I am wary of food fads and health fads. People who claim super foods, for example, just turn me off because a) there is no such thing and b) such fads often result in shortages in areas where these foods are produced (such as with quinoa). Most importantly fads and pushing things like almond milk as a viable alternative, especially towards people with small children, can end up with disastrous results. I like to stick with the tried and tested methods, such as yes, dairy. Sure, there are alternatives out there, but they like their dairy products and I know what they are consuming.

As I said, it's easy to do one's research and find hormone free dairy products from sustainable and humane dairy farms. It also helps support these farms and communities.

21. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Reality shouldn't eat nature.

22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Processing is what makes inedible foods edible. Processing, such as grinding, is why we can digest a lot of seeds (grains). Processing, such as cooking, is why we can digest a lot of meat. Processed food is one of the major reasons for the survival and expansion of the human race.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I agree with you Bells, in the sense that we should eat a balanced diet, of whole foods. I'm not even against dairy/cattle farms, so long as those farms believe in the ethical treatment of animals. I'm learning that the definition of that varies from vegetarian to vegetarian - vegan to vegan. lol For me, it's just a personal decision based on how I've chosen to process the information I've reviewed, and not seeking to convert people.