The Mueller investigation.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Quack, Feb 17, 2018.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

You said "It's not Trump claiming what the FBI did." Yes, he did claim just that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Between the expectation of clairvoyance, and questions about your reading comprehension, I'm going to go with the latter.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Comey wasn't personally involved in all the FBI misconduct, and I've yet to see Trump detail all the facts uncovered so far.

I'm sure you'll go with whatever assumption doesn't require you to make a cogent argument. Just your usual, subjective stream of consciousness.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Buzzfeed↱ lede:

Donald Trump was told in advance that Wikileaks would be releasing documents embarrassing to the Clinton campaign and subsequently informed advisors that he expected more releases would be coming, according to newly unredacted portions of special counsel Robert Mueller's report into Russia's interference in the 2016 election.

And some of the detail:

based on the interviews it conducted with those three men and other officials, Mueller's report concluded it had "established that the Trump Campaign displayed interest in the WikiLeaks releases, and that former Campaign member Roger Stone was in contact with the Campaign about those releases, claiming advance knowledge of more to come."

The newly unredacted portions of the Mueller report also show that after the initial dump by WikiLeaks, Trump personally asked Manafort to keep in touch with Stone, who in turn told the then-campaign chairman to keep him "apprised of any developments with WikiLeaks." Investigators were also told by Gates that Trump had multiple phone conversations with Stone during the campaign and that, following one call held en route to LaGuardia airport, "Trump told Gates that more releases of damaging information would be coming."

In written testimony to Mueller's team in November 2018, Trump denied being aware of any communications between Stone, Manafort, Gates, or Donald Trump Jr and WikiLeaks or Assange. Yet according to the newly public portions of the Special Counsel's report, "Trump knew that Manafort and Gates had asked Stone to find out what other damaging information about Clinton WikiLeaks possessed, and that Stone's claimed connection to WikiLeaks was common knowledge within the Campaign."

Considering the contradictory evidence, the special counsel's office weighed the possibility that Trump "no longer had clear recollections" of what happened two years earlier, but also wondered whether "the President's conduct could also be viewed as reflecting his awareness that Stone could provide evidence that would run counter to the President's denials and would link the President to Stone's efforts to reach out to WikiLeaks." The investigators stopped short of suggesting that the President may have lied or otherwise misled the special counsel, however.

While Buzzfeed's lawsuit compelled the lifting of these redactions, the fallout continues:

In a related matter, the federal judge presiding over that case, Reggie Walton, earlier this month summoned Justice Department lawyers to closed door hearings in July to explain their justification for other redactions in the document. Walton is weighing whether some portions of the report that have been withheld should be publicly disclosed.

In a scathing 23-page opinion released in March, Walton said Barr's public characterization of the Mueller report "failed to to provide a thorough representation of the findings." Walton questioned whether Barr's "intent was to create a one-sided narrative" about the report and a "calculated attempt to influence public discourse" in favor of President Trump "despite certain findings in the redacted version of the Mueller Report to the contrary."

We are not unfamiliar with the summary; we've been following this part of the story for over a year↑, and those recent↑ events↑ have set the Trumplovin' chatter abuzz about, to borrow a phrase, a lot of nothing.

The Stone redactions, meanwhile, which really can be argued reasonably redacted for ongoing investigation until DoJ failed to release unredacted material after sentencing, both confirm suspicions about Trump's conduct as well as offer a glimpse into the nature of what remains hidden.

Notes:

Leopold, Jason, Anthony Cormier, and Ken Bensinger. "Roger Stone Told Trump In Advance WikiLeaks Would Release Documents Harmful To Clinton Campaign, Aides Claimed". BuzzFeed. 19 June 2020. BuzzFeed.com. 19 June 2020. https://bit.ly/2Ng3iym

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

He was the guy in charge of the sandbagging of Clinton and protection of Trump during the 2016 campaign.

That was the most serious misconduct by the FBI that year.

You are the one putting the most emphasis on the Partisan aspect of FBI misconduct - it seems odd that you keep overlooking the obvious and decades-old Partisan bias involved. The FBI is and always has been staffed and controlled by Republicans, predominantly. That Partisan bias has underlain quite a bit of FBI "misconduct" over the decades.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  9. billvon Valued Senior Member

You (and Trump) have claimed that the FBI mishandled the Russian investigation.

Trump: "when I decided to just do it [fire Comey], I said to myself, I said 'You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story.' "

Time for your next backpedal.

10. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

No, I just have to repeat what I just said, since you obviously didn't comprehend simple English:
    "Comey wasn't personally involved in all the FBI misconduct, and I've yet to see Trump detail all the facts uncovered so far."​

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sure.
    Some of the FBI misconduct did not involve Comey, and afaik Trump has never bothered to "detail" any facts at all.
    So?
    Comey was directly involved in sandbagging Clinton while protecting Trump during the 2016 campaign, which was the most significant misconduct by the FBI in 2016;
    and Trump's refusal to "detail facts" is a major reason the FBI's failure to depose him or certain of his associates under oath was so damaging.

12. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Wow, I think that's the only thing I've ever seen you post that actually reflected reality. Good job. Someone give this guy a gold star.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The part about Comey sandbagging Clinton and protecting Trump in accordance with the FBI's wellknown and firmly institutionalized pro- Republican bias was the pertinent aspect of reality reflected in my post there.

Are you sure you want to endorse that?

14. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Well, that was very short-lived. Right back to la-la land for you.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Never left. I suspected you hadn't actually read the post - suspicion verified.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
    But you might at least make an effort - the ratio of attempted thread contribution to chuckle-headed insult in your posts is getting smaller by the day.

The FBI misconduct during the 2016 campaign was spectacular, after all - there's plenty for you to criticize, if you can retrieve your lips from Trump's ass long enough to put a few facts together.

16. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Oh, we're all very aware of that.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

So much for Trump's claim that "it's all a hoax!"

18. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Why, is there something new on the long-over Mueller investigation?
    You know, aside from charges of FBI misconduct.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, the FBI conspired against Trump, for shame! Must have been all Democratic FBI agents.
    The Mueller report is far from closed. Wait until Trump is out of office and the protections that it affords him.

20. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

I guess you missed where an FBI lawyer plead guilty to falsifying an email to get a eavesdropping warrants against CIA source Carter Page. In the process, making false statements to both the judiciary and the executive branches of government. Who am I kidding? Of course you don't know any of this. You whole shtick is posting about stuff of which you're completely ignorant.

Mueller closed his investigation and submitted his final report. Too bad crying babies can't handle that reality.

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

WOW, a national crisis much worse than the six Trump associates who ended up in jail as a result of the Mueller report and more to come or is it go!...

Where is your link or are you falsifying the facts of the case? In case you don't know how to link.
    Highlight the addy and copy/paste into your post, it's easy.....

Here is a quote and link to Forbes:
    Bannon Joins Long List Of Trump Associates Who Have Been Charged Or Imprisoned
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemima...have-been-charged-or-imprisoned/#7d7189135ea4

22. candy Valued Senior Member

Kevin Clinesmith's plea bargain about fabricating evidence for a warrant on a political opponent has a chilling effect on the rule of law. Nixon did not use government employees to spy on the other party. That is really bad precedent. What if DJT decides to use the DOJ to spy on Biden's people? Do we say it is okay because Obama did it? This is a very slippery slope.

Vociferous likes this.
  23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Ex-FBI lawyer Clinesmith to plead guilty in Durham probe
    BY J. EDWARD MORENO - 08/14/20 01:00 PM EDT
    https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...er-clinesmith-to-plead-guilty-in-durham-probe

Who says Obama ordered that? An individual agent exceeding his authority in order to obtain information based on "reasonable cause" of foreign espionage is not the same as an illegal act ordered by the president of the US, where an extension of the warrant might have been granted anyway. That's more Trump's game.

Obama would not be caught dead. That man has a concience and a sense of history!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020