The Muslim Ban Has Begun!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ElectricFetus, Jan 26, 2017.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

An Iranian gradstudent just informed me that her parents can't enter the country and that she can't leave or else she won't be able to re-enter, worse she fears her visa will not be renewed in a few months.

So what is going on?

https://www.niacaction.org/what-does-trumps-ban-on-iranians-and-muslims-mean-for-you/

Well apparently it has not been signed yet, that is all I could do to reassure her. I won't be at all surprise if this is true, hard working competent workers in our society will be kicked out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Trump is being un-American.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Emma Lazarus, 1883

Stoniphi likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I don't see any mention of sending

"those who wish to kill us".

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Then one time a darkness fell
    Upon this great and wondrous land
    The freedom flame extinguished with the tolling of a bell
    Sanctuary not to be found nor a helping hand
    Fearful minions of future tell
    Where tears join, holy, with beach of sand.

The common vote abused by one
    For power, for glory, for self make grand.
    The passing of an era so dim in the sun
    When darkness fell upon the land.
    An era has ended and new one has begun...
    Now darkness has fallen upon the land.

QQ 27/1/2017

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am not even American but perhaps you are too young to understand the principle that has been wantonly destroyed with Trumps inferior solution.

You have let the terrorist win...

Ophiolite likes this.
  10. wellwisher Banned Banned

Former president Jimmy Carter did the same thing to the Iranians in response to the hostage crisis of the late 1970's.

During the Iranian hostage crisis, Carter issued a number of orders to put pressure on Iran. Among these, Iranians were banned from entering the United States unless they oppose the Shiite Islamist regime or had a medical emergency."

He cites two specific actions. One was an order for Iranian students to report to immigration offices in order to determine if they had violated the terms of their visa; if they had, they would be deported. The second was an order to end all future visas for Iranians and to stop issuing most new visas

Also, America restricted immigration from 1921 to about 1952. What Trump is doing is not un-American, since it was already done before.

The Immigration Act made permanent the basic limitations on immigration into the United States established in 1921 and modified the National Origins Formula established then. In conjunction with the Immigration Act of 1917, it governed American immigration policy until the passage of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, which revised it completely.

These two restrictions on immigration was due to national security and allowing time for a large number of previous immigrants, to assimilate. The act was instituted so American cultural identity would not be watered down, due to too many third and second world cultural pockets, which were not assimilating but retaining their diversity, as is is called nowadays. I would guess changes to the department of education will include a national language; English, to help speed up assimilation. This would be consistent with the America first theme of Trump.

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

You don't see the difference between Trumps exec action and an action with acceptance if criteria met?
    You don't understand why the Democrats and others were so reluctant to entertain a ban on Muslim migration do you?
    try again...then again don't bother as it is too late....
    the Islamic terrorists have won...

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

QQ, no, they don't - these Trump Apologists are incapable of either critical thinking or individual study and research... they haven't the foggiest idea of anything beyond that which their Faux News overlords tell them. That's why they are so desperate for "alternative facts"...

*sigh* And yet, they are still a significant portion of our electorate, and thus... we get the Great Trumpkin Charlie Brown...

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Trump has managed to find the greatest flaw in any democracy that relies on "good will" and a genuine desire for the benefit of the collective.
    He has taken advantage of every loop hole, every contrivance, totally exploiting the constitution that you all hold so deeply.
    He has lied, bullied acted and is acting in ways that are unconscionable to the extreme.
    He has no idea how much damage he is doing to the Mexican public and any future relationship the USA might have after he is long dead and buried.

He wishes to use extortion against neighboring nations and those further afield.

And your democratic system allows it.

From my perspective the USA is now to be considered as a rogue nuclear power worse than North Korea ( they haven't yet got there where as USA is fully armed and fully capable). Disappointment is an understatement.

Trump has no idea how to make the USA great, because he doesn't realize that the USA greatness has naught to do about money but more to do about ideology, philosophy and purpose. History has shown us countless times that military might, economic might are very poor cousins to what makes a nation great.

Obama was wrong when he said that "nothing can rob you of your values"

End of rant... sorry but I feel this web site will be taken offline any moment due to some sort of media censorship and I better say it before I can't.

Ophiolite likes this.
  14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I also am not American

I am 75 - just

I do understand the concept of being kind and compassionate.

I worked as a Registered Nurse for many years

I also was involved in ambulance service for a few years

Try going to accidents and being compassionate to drunks who kill people and fight you as you try to save their life or a body part

While the code for trauma says to treat the most serious first if the most serious is the cause of the accident and is hostile to you I move to the next most serious

If I waste time trying to help the drunken cause I might loose one of the victims

What is your solution to not letting the terrorist win?

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

They have already won.... Trump is their reward...

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I would contend the terrorist who have no interest in democracy or any flavour of good will are the fanatics who have exploited the "flaw" to the maximum.

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

OK

Let me rephrase that

What WOULD your solution have been?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Everyone from those predominantly Muslim countries wish to kill us? That's insanely bigoted. Refugees from war want to kill? I think they just want refuge from war. This is no different than our rejecting Jewish refugees of the holocaust.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You would be wrong - what they exploited were such things as human shields and the Rules of Engagement, knowing full well that soldiers with an actual code of honor would be at a severe disadvantage trying to defend themselves from targets nearly indistinguishable from the civilian populace, using said civilians as meat shields.

No, Trump has exploited the tragedies of the last few years for his own personal gain... and don't believe for one moment he won't profit from it in a massive way...

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

No. A fair sized number yes.

Genuine ones no

Ah but those sneaky ones do want war and guess what they hide with the genuine refugees

21. wellwisher Banned Banned

People misread Trump. Trump does not have blind devotion to a political idealism and dogma. He is not like the average professional politician or political person, on the left or right, that holds firmly to one sided positions, that define who they are, and how they see the world. Trump is a deal maker. A good deal maker is able to adjust their position, as the negotiation goes on, to get the best deal. So many people are used to one sided idealism and closed minds running the country. Therefore if you assume Trump is a professional politician, his opening deal bids looks like the inflexible radicalism of an over the top partisan. Trump has a deal goal in mind. In the art of the deal, you need to start very one sided, and allow others to bring you, to where you are willing to be from the beginning.

For example, say you wanted to put together the best sports team in a culture that believes in demographic quotas. A quota system may satisfy an emotional need, but it is not the best way to put together the best team. The best team would need to be based on merit, regardless of demographics and sentiments. Trump would start that deal with the proclamation of pure competition for all positions on the team, knowing that those who prefer quotas, will have a cow. Deep down, he can manage with half and half, but if he started the deal with half and half, the other side will want 3/4, with a lot of foot dragging. Instead he will start with 100%. This will served to expedite the deal, since the other side needs to act, quickly, before it takes root. This also require the other side fully rationalize their bias. He may settling for half; good deal for all.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And so you condemn the masses for the actions of the few.

I guess, by that logic, you should be killed because you could "possibly be ready to initiate a new Crusade"...

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

True on the battlefield

Hiding within the genuine refugees making the task of selection of those in need as you put it so well

bringing the war to the civilians