The necessity of holding that the same is fundamentally true for all

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by greenberg, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That's easy ...force them to agree with us! And if they refuse, take them out and shoot 'em. Problem solved permanently.

Again, it's easy. Find 'em, force them to believe as we do. If they refuse, take 'em out and shoot 'em. Problem solved permanently.

You can hold anyone to the same fundamental truths that you hold ....only by force! And that usually comes from the muzzle of a gun.

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swarm Registered Senior Member

It would seem that assuming the complaint is not a content free emotional burst, that being more explicit about what is meant by [subject to ideology/indoctrination of one kind or another] and then establishing a means of verifying claims one way or the other would be in order.

In this particular case the claim is so vaguely worded it seems a tautology and the complaint does seem more a matter of principle than actual counter claim, so its probably best to figure out of you are saying what you want to be saying and not worry too much about the rest of it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Agreed. And I am not sure 'we' can really do it either, to, again assume commonalities.

[elided in the interests of focus.] Thank you for clear examples. Something rather horrifying for me reading that list. The only thing I would add is how much one can imply, rather than bluntly state, such things, and also conflate these various uses.

You might find it interesting to talk to Swedes who have a, generally unstated, philosophy that verbal communication is to be used to inform. Other uses of language, especially between non-intimates, but not merely restricted to these, are seen as egotistical, excessive, selfish, confusing and/or wasteful. The grammar is very efficient and there is a dearth of synonyms. IOW it has a small vocabulary.

It was actually the opposite - though mirror - phenomenon....'forgive them Lord, they know not what they do' 'what can you expect from these primitives' (this second said to someone becoming embarrassingly upset at 'the help' or the colonized. And so on.

Oh, dear. I either misremembered or misread it. But good for him then.

Animals seem to trust themselves, generally.

Almost a past life.

I've noticed that my in-person strategies in relation to this have run their course - people pleasing, being rebellious, withdrawal all feel constrained and unpleasant. I seem to be more able to not contort myself around non-intimates while also not confronting them. I do think this relates to NOT assuming they are the same as me. In some way I do not see being in the same space as being in relationship. I think I have always been overly intimate with everyone - not that they might experience it this way - even in my withdrawal.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I can relate to this very well.
    I often wonder how much other people think of me, if at all - and that I probably think of them a lot more than they think about me.