The Now

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by kmguru, Aug 8, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Past is over, the future is yet to happen. You are in NOW. So what you like about your environment and what you dislike? What are you afraid of and what you want to continue?

Money, sex, politics, job, food, living, dying, old people, young people....ozone layer, Dupont...Hong Kong, King Kong...child labor, child ponography, south carolina law....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Do I sense a bit of rivalry?

Jeez I never knew you were so opposed to future thinking. Then again there aren't any posts or forums about the future in general.

But to awanser your question, I think we aren't doing all that bad right now.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Rivalry? neh...just to have some fun....

All in good humor my friend...all in good humor...

On the otherhand, the economy sucks, Bush is doing nothing...we who have to put food on the table...things are bad, man...really bad. If things do not turn around , we will be heading for a depression...and that is not fun....

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Here is what Randolfo said that is germane to this and the future topic too.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

kmguru,
    I am starting to get used to your method of posting. I must admit that I am gullible in that I tend to take things at face value without looking too much deeper. I find that time after time the subject had another depth or level to it than initially stated. I do not have any bones to pick with you, as it is your method and my lack. This one is extremely fascinating as it has the potential of quite some depth to it.

To address the question/statement, I think that I would first go to Randolfo's quoted statement. To condense it down, he wonders about our throwaway lifestyles and economy and what its results are to those around us and what the end implications are.

I would think that we need major overhaul in expectations. Of what is satisfactory. To state we need to do so and so to start on the road of correcting a perceived problem is fine. But when it comes right down to it, your money is a vote. You spend for what you want/need and in doing so you send the message that I want this service/product over that one. So the businesses, who keep track of buying statistics, of what influences the consumer, (you and me) to buy this over that design their products to fit those wants. Those who don't fall by the wayside and go out of business if they do not change to what the consumer demands. In example of this look at the automotive industry. In the 70's-80's you could buy a new car that the molding fell off of in 6 months. The consumer rejected the idea that cost vs. product was not important and started choosing foreign to domestic products wanting something more durable. The big three automakers did not retool to provide a response to this shift of demand until much later. As a result, they lost a large share of the consumers product trust and hence a respectable share of the market. Which I might add has never returned in full bloom.

Countries like China and India have much to offer in the way to live and exist over long periods of time. Things we could certainly learn to use to our advantage. To do so would mean that we must be willing to give up luxuries that we now take for granted and as our right to expect. As our standard of living. Without that desire we will continue right down the same path we are headed.

You have in the Philosophy sections brought up the subject of caste. As also the economic caste system. Randolfo also speaks of this. So what is the answer? I do not think there will be an answer that is acceptable to the public at large. Perhaps this is the inbred seed of our destruction.

I seem to be rambling quite a bit here so I think I will stop and gather thoughts. I have only addressed a small part of what I wished to at the start of this tirade.

9. kmguru Staff Member

Wet1, thank you again for the compliment and for your accurate inference. I do the best I can on this forum while multitasking my real work (that puts food on the table). This is one of those times, I have to switch task to finish a report.

The problem with our present society is that we do not know, how to do the forensic of critical factors. After that it goes downhill. Doing analysis on scant and sometimes contaminated information is bad enough, when you do statistical operation on those "dirty" data, the results can be anything. Finally, after your faulty observation, your inference and advice no longer remain germane to the original issue at hand.

Prof. Arturo would know what I am talking about. Forensic Science, Intelligence Analysis (like they do in CIA), Psychology, Sociology, Statistics, Discontinuity Probability, Database Management, Metrics, Processes, and a whole lot of other specialities are necessary to provide the correct "Inference" and hence "Action Items".

How many MBAs you know that have a thorough understanding of all these fields to make an accurate assesment? That is why, our economy is a mess and the end is nowhere in sight. The pension funds have lost Billions of dollars that will never be recovered. And the teenagers who run the companies today are thinking - "Economy is not so bad, but if the company blows up, I will move in with my Mom & Pop".

So is Life....

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Hmm... Is this like one of those this-is-the-first-day-of-the-rest-of-your-life things?

My concern is that I live in a world that follows a green paper carrot. We really are a dysfunctional family.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2001
  11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

This one is important. What about <b>NOW</b>?

12. kmguru Staff Member

What do you suggest?

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

One particular thing always gets me chuckling. The woe is me over the now generation from the previous one. This goes back for ages it seems. Each complaining over the fact that the newest is not what the older was. SO WHAT! No one I know of swallows goldfish live as a fad. But it was a common practice in the days of the flapper generation. It just shows that things change, nothing more. That each generation has that which makes them unique to some extent from the next. I say let them have their fun. Be it dancing, clubbing, rave, or whatever. It is not necessary that the future generation be a carbon copy of the last.

14. kmguru Staff Member

Here is something that will bake your noodles:

"The perception of the young that society has become a society of organizations, and that this is in striking contrast to the society of our textbooks, our political rhetoric, and our conventions is sound and realistic insight. The response, however, futile......The organizations will not go away. Repudiating them is not going to make themdisappear. It will not even reduce their power.

Indeed, scorning power only makes it more oppressive. Power has to be used. It is a reality. If the decent and idealistic toss power in the gutter, the guttersnipes pick it up. If the able and educated refuse to exercise power responsibly, irresponsible and incompetent people take over the seats of the mighty and the levers of the power. Power not being used for social purposes passes to people who use it for their own ends. At best, it is taken over by the careerists who are led by their timidity into becoming arbitrary, autocratic, and bureaucratic."
    - The age of discontinuity, guidelines to our changing society by Peter Drucker 1968.

I could not have said any better...It is my thoughts to you.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

This to has been evident through our generation. From the Beatles rage alone. No, not the organizations or policital parties but rather the surge of young minds who group together into a common cluster for the enjoyment of music. Yes, I understand what you are referring to. That any such grouping represents the source of a power. One that will be used by some enterprising person or group to be the leader. Or, in the case of the Beatles, thrust into such position by the force of their followers. If they had a message beyond love, peace, and drugs, to push on their followers where might that have taken them? Or us? What and how might the world have been led?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2001
  16. kmguru Staff Member

I think we talked about this in another thread:

irresponsible and incompetent people take over the seats of the mighty and the levers of the power.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

<i>"What do you suggest?"</i>

I dunno. The Now seems important. Should we cause change or sit back and watch it happen?

18. kmguru Staff Member

Some of us will cause change while others will sitback and watch.

19. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Aah yes, but sometimes it is better for people to sit back and watch. Just think if Hitler didn't do anything how different this world would be For better or worse, who knows?

20. kmguru Staff Member

Last night I was watching the History channel. It was about big ships of the Navy from wooden days to modern. When British built the 12 inch gun dreadnaught, they were working on dominating and keeping their empire in tact around 1904. Others started competing. The second world war was the result of that competition with so much fire power.

If hitler would not have been there, the whole world could have been under British Rule, who knows. Some say that for every major conflict, emerges a new more advanced and adaptable society. May be there was a major conflict 200,000 years ago among the simian race and one race became victorious. It may be natures way....

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Yes, conflict causes change. It unites people, as WWII did for Americans and Russians. The two countries became super powers because of the war.

22. kmguru Staff Member

I wonder if that applies to personal situations. I mean, how many people went through personal conflict or job loss and emerged as stronger, better and carried forward....

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I would think so. My thought is that you can fall no farther then bottom, and from there can only move up, providing you choose to not linger in those dark places.

I think the conflicts in our lives do make us stronger, but they also cause us to grow old.