The Official Windows vs Linux Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Soupir, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soupir Registered Member

It is a debate that is being argued more loudly, more boldly, and more passionately than ever before: the showdown between two kernels, two user groups, and two operating systems.

Microsoft Windows is often seen as the hulking brute of the industry, enjoying such profit only because they have profit to begin with. Windows is scoffed at by Linux users for weak security, infamous performance issues, and that annoying Start button.

Linux users liken themselves to the Rebellion: outnumbered, outgunned, but certainly the technical superior. What Windows can do, Linux can do better - or so they say. They revel in the beauty of an open source operating system built by the few <I>for</I> the few.

What say you?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

In many ways I'm like a Windows user; I just want to use the computer, and I don't care what's on it. Having said that, there's no way I'd go back to Windows. Why? Because windows is a piece of shit.

Hardly an original answer, I know; but I can run linux on a Pentium 100, if I like. I can choose which bits of the OS to load. Don't want pretty graphics? THen I don't install X, and I can run it on a 486. Windows is a kludge; it's been built on DOS, expanding as it goes; it's like an inverted pyramid. It's just a matter of time before it falls over.

Microsoft don't care about quality; they don't need to. To Microsoft, 'quality' and 'stabilty' are for companies that don't have a deathgrip on their customers. If you've got a captive audience, all you need to do is add a few features every couple of years, and pretend it's a new operating system.

Then, of course, there's price. I upgraded my laptop to Red Hat 7.1 recently. What did it cost? A few hour's worth of ISDN download time, and a few blank CDs.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

Don't care what OS, as long as it can run the thing I want to run. Right now Windows does the most.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mcbeef Registered Member

...I pretty much feels the same way. IMHO what`s important is that it works for you and that you can run the proggies you need.
    What microblows got running for them is numbers...ie compatibility. I`m certain that this is about to change, and to some extent it has, as time goes by & linux continous to collect users. Eventually I think it will gain the end user in any case...!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.