The One Centimeter Layer Of Space Around The Human Body

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by davidelkins, Mar 3, 2016.

1. davidelkins Registered Senior Member

Consider the 1 centimeter layer of space around the whole of the human body. That space is vastly diverse in imaginative possibility. For example, despite the thinness of the layer, one can imagine whole cities in that region or imagine the vastness of the universe and the complexities of mathematics there. Being that it is simple, it has a potential of expansiveness. Since this layer surrounds the whole of the body, including regions that are not necessarily visible, this adds an element of mystery. People often discuss the human brain with notions such as memory, intelligence and planning. This is heavily organized inside our brain, but not necessarily limited to the brain. Then there is discussion of reports, imaginative lands, books, videos, plays, scenes, scenarios and virtual reality which are oriented toward the vast shared landscape in which we interact. Discussion of a 1 cm thick layer around the body adds another dimension to these considerations.

Author: David Elkins

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I don't understand. What does the 1cm layer of space have to do with our imagination?

"...one can imagine whole cities in that region.."

It is just as possible to imagine whole cities inside my ear canal or under my tongue, or inside the alveoli in my lungs. How is the space you mention any more fertile for the imagination than any other?

Also, Sci Tech is not the appropriate forum for musings. I will have it moved.

ajanta likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Or the impenetrable and impervious space between some people's ears.

If I googled "David Elkins", it would no doubt turn up another alumnus of the Encyclopedia of American Loons, an author who has no doubt dozens of New Age self-help books published and available for purchase on Amazon.

And this is not the first time any of us here have seen this routine. It gives their work higher search engine visibility, which is an obvious substitute for what passes as fame in the 21st century.

FYI, I didn't come here to generate fame. But it appears to be an undesired side effect. BillyT is one legitimate author here who exploits that effect. If there was an easy way to eliminate the effect without altering what discussion goes on here. I would support that. Sciforums was never an element of a business model for me.

It no doubt helps their model to have long discussions about their nonsense too, so please don't feed the lunatics.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. danshawen Valued Senior Member

And here we are:

http://www.amazon.com/David-N.-Elkins/e/B001KI2RGG

http://www.hakomiinstitute.com/Forum/Issue16-17/7_Why_I_Left_Psy.pdf

"
    A Story: Why I Left (Almost<left clinical psychology>). . .

Awhile back I had reached the end of my rope with psychology. I was angry as hell and I wasn’t going to take it any more. I hated HMOs, clerks with B.S. degrees telling me how and when I could treat my clients, APA formulating treatment guidelines to tell me how to practice, short-term therapies being taught to our graduate students so they can get jobs in the insane marketplace, psychologists seeking prescription privileges as though we don’t have enough pill- pushers in this country as it is, and colleagues all around me using models of therapy that would work better with robots and pigeons than with human beings. I’ll admit it: I was one cynical S.O.B. ...

The truth is, I found the Bible pretty dull, especially those Old Testament passages about who begat whom and those stories about how God commanded his people to wipe out whole towns including the women and children. I found that hard to swallow. Also, I sometimes found it hard to pray for the sick, especially those who were obviously dying. … I think that’s when I decided to leave the ministry. … Anything we do that diminishes our clients’ or our students’ humanity is unethical."

http://hakomiinstitute.com/resources/ron-kurtz

God forbid.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    ajanta likes this.
  8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

r d laing:
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Sonuvagun. I've learned something new today. Thanks DS.

danshawen likes this.
  10. davidelkins Registered Senior Member

I must note that I an not David N. Elkins. My name is David Wayne Elkins. So if danshawen is asserting that I am David N Elkins by his introduction of writings from David N. Elkins, then please let it be corrected. Danshawen's virulence to me is astonishing. All I did was mention the 1 centimeter thick layer of space around the human body and say there was vast imaginative possibility there. I didn't declare that space aliens inhabit my shoes. Good God. Sometimes respondents get over-excited without rhyme or reason. What is he objecting to precisely?

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

But, on the other hand, your opening post is - at face value at least - rather silly. Perhaps he found it irritating? There does not appear to be a "vast, imaginative possibility" in the region immediately surrounding human skin, any more than there is in a tub of lard. Unless you can explain why this particular location inspires your creativity, we are entitled to think you are just another nutcase - of which we get a lot on this forum.

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Is that a deliberate slur on Roy Hattersley?

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Well he's vast, at least, if not much of an imaginative possibility.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I was thinking rather of Paul Merton on Have I Got News for You.

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I am sure that the human body radiates at least heat (infra-red), so the claim that our bodies are enveloped by a secondary *shell* is true in that respect. Similar perhaps to a large body having a sphere of gravity surrounding it, a secondary effect on the formation of spacetime itself.
    But it remains to be seen if radiating infra red has any *special* effects on spacetime surrounding a living organism.
    I recall the excitement caused by the Kirlian experiments, which showed persistent coronas of recently torn leaves. Any further news on that?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  15. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Lets see, blatantly obvious raving idiocy as opening theme. Having no plausible connection with 'General Science & Technology'. One passably positive post that actually gives some level of credibility to "1cm...". And an admin that takes no action in 5 days as of this post, despite what must have been a very early appeal as per last part of post #2.
    An 'interesting' but not particularly unusual example giving one more insight into standards here at SF.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  16. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

That 's what I meant, as the tub of lard substituted for Hattersley. This is a much more interesting a discussion that the one centimetre aura surrounding the Elkins clan!

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Durrh - I had actually forgotten that bit, the tub of lard gag ran for so long....

18. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Ok. In the context of your OP I hope this doesn't sound silly.
    Since 'your' names are similar, can we believe you are a denizen of a city within this ' 1 centimeter layer of space' around Mr Elkin. And that you have found a way to communicate 'off body' so to speak? By the way, I think your going to fit in real good on the science sections. Me, I'm only here for the piss taking.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
    Ophiolite likes this.
  19. davidelkins Registered Senior Member

What I meant when I said that there is a vast imaginative possibility in the one centimeter layer of space surrounding the human body was that we look through that space and imagine things through it. Also, that space is not an aura. This is science, not spiritual claims. DE

20. Bells Staff Member

Mod Note

Bleh..

Moved to Fringe section.

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes, that sums it up pretty well.

Bells likes this.
  22. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Whatever it may be, it is not science. We do not imagine things "through" a 1cm layer of space surrounding our bodies. We imagine things inside our minds, i.e. by the operation of our brains. Your statement therefore seems to be false.

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And do you think this one centimetre layer, through which we look and imagine things, is more or less important than the two centimetre space through which we look and imagine things?