The power of the name jesus

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by arauca, Jan 29, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

’s house what happened, they’ll tell you it’s simple: Jesus scared a would be thief out of the Florida woman’s home.

At first, those gathered at Hagler’s house for a jewelry party thought the intruder was simply part of an elaborate gag, using a “water gun” to tease the Florida women.

"It's only a water gun," one attendee reportedly said, while brushing away the firearm allegedly brandished by Derick Lee, who entered the home wearing a ski mask and bandana across his face.

Witnesses say Lee then held the gun to the woman’s head and announced, "I'm not joking, I'm going to shoot someone, give me your money." He even showed the women some of the bullets loaded into his gun before they could be convinced the robbery attempt was real.

But what Lee didn’t know was that he was outgunned by the jewelry party attendees – at least spiritually speaking.

"When I realized what was going on, I stood up and said, 'In the name of Jesus, get out of my house now,'” Hagler told WJXT-TV. And he said, 'I'm going to shoot someone.' And I said it again, real boldly," Hagler continued. "Everybody started chanting, 'Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,' and he did a quick scan of the room, and ran out the door as fast as he could go."

Lee, 24, was arrested Friday night at his home and identified by several of the jewelry party attendees during a police photo lineup. He’s currently being held on a $200,000 bond.

I believe he saw angels,” Hagler said in a separate interview with the Christian Post. “I think he saw who was on our side, and he just turned around. The look on his face was just, like, astonishment. He was totally captivated by whatever he saw. He just turned around and ran out the door.”

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

I've heard the saying "Jesus is Magic," but never "Jesus is Witchcraft."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

We won't hear of the unsuccessful versions of these, of course. God doesn't like all football teams that pray for a touchdown, just the ones that get them.

He works in convenient...er, mysterious ways.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

I have to laugh whenever I hear athletes thanking Jesus, as if God cares who wins a football game. Ray Lewis is especially guilty of this solipsistic nonsense, citing his team's unlikely trip to the Super Bowl as being "God's plan."

8. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

Good for Jebus.

9. arauca Banned Banned

What does that have to do with witchcraft ? Your mind does not allow you to be impartial .

10. Balerion Banned Banned

People compelling another into action by chanting a word? That's witchcraft.

What you really mean by "impartial" is "believe in Jesus." No, I don't believe in Jesus, and I don't believe there's anything supernatural about a criminal getting cold feet.

11. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Guy realized he was dealing with whackos and ran. Is that so surprising?

12. arauca Banned Banned

You don't have to believe . Perhaps the fellow was raised in a church family and went astray , but the invocation of the name Jesus made him reflect . But is the guy would be an atheist he would not run, but use his gun because the guy would be like you , which are people with no remorse

13. arauca Banned Banned

Probably if the guy would be of your mentality he would not run but use its gun

14. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I don't own guns, but thanks for showing how willing you are to jump to judgements - asshole.

15. arauca Banned Banned

Have you changed your name to " asshole " ? no more gmilam ?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Exactly, you don't fuck with a room full of crazy bitches.

17. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

He left because he was one person, they were a group showing solidarity. Sure he could have tried to take a few down, but the rest might have jumped him, and maybe he was the kind that used the gun for show, but didn't have the conviction to carry out an actual murder. Fortunately for them, we don't know. They could have been chanting anything, it just happened to be religious.

18. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

It's the Power of a lot of people yelling.

It wouldn't matter what they yelled, the guy would take off.

19. Balerion Banned Banned

Or maybe the defiance in his would-be victims made him panic. It works on bullies.

Lot of conclusions jumped to here. Can't find a basis for any of them.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What's the difference?

I suppose magic can happen spuriously, without a magician making it happen, whereas witchcraft is always the work of a witch? So when people say "Jesus is magic," they could mean that Jesus's supernatural powers (walking on water and returning from death are the first ones to pop into my head) happened without anyone making them happen. But since we have already been told that God choreographed Jesus's birth, life, death and rebirth, that would be an erroneous statement, at least in the land of woo-woo.

But he could still be magic if he were created by God, which is the right answer. Collect your prize and go to Heaven.

Whereas to say "Jesus is witchcraft" accepts the premise that he was built by some conscious actor, but identifies that actor as a witch, which in Christianity is an evil person. That answer is wrong too. Jesus is 100% good so he could not be created by an evil person--at least not if the supernatural universe is logical--and oh shit, by definition it's NOT! It defies logic, reason and science. So I don't know how to analyze that sentence. Perhaps a witch cast a spell but it didn't work right, so she ended up creating the kindest, most forgiving human being ever to walk the earth.

That answer sounds so perfectly Biblical, I'm tempted to choose it!

21. elte Valued Senior Member

This is my guess about what happened. The gunman was likely raised by religious parents and the show of faith by the party attendees triggered fear in the gunman. Religion generally is a relatively big aspect in some sub-cultures. It was solely a psychological response that the gunman had, in my opinion. I've pulled the religion card to protect myself once and I definitely felt a bit phony afterward, but I was afraid of an imminent mugging. I was hoping at the time that the person before me had the religious indoctrination.

It doesn't work on a person without a strong religious upbringing. I tried it on another fella that I know now didn't have a religious type of upbringing, and he blew it off. Fortunately that was just a neighbor and there wasn't a serious threat.

There was a case of a nun trying it in South America a few years ago. She held up her Bible and said something like was said at the incident described in this thread and the gunman shot her right through the book. That gunman hadn't had the special upbringing, or he had already consciously worked through the process of deprogramming his mind enough to attenuate a psychological reaction.

22. Balerion Banned Banned

Don't you hate when you have to explain the joke to people?

Sigh. Okay, "Jesus is Magic" is a phrase that refers to his ability to perform miracles. I'm not sure of its origins (I know it's the title of a Sarah Silverman stand-up act, but there are other instances of it) but "Jesus is Witchcraft" is just a riff on that. The difference would be the invocation of Jesus' name as a warding spell, as opposed to Jesus himself walking on water. It may be superficial, but it wasn't meant to be picked apart, either.