The radical-left's darling, Che Guevara

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cazzo, May 18, 2008.

?

Do you think Che was :

1. A good guy ?

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. A bad guy ?

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. No opinion

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No doubt that's why you consider universities to be "leftist". Even talking about what actually happened seems suspect to you, Mr. McCarthy. Are you arguing that Che didn't want freedom from what he considered the tyranny of capitalism? Are you arguing that no one should have objected to the corrupt capitalists and mobsters controlling the business of Cuba?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

Nope, I was talking about this :

You know it's true.

The only reason Communists find capitalism "opressive" is because they're jealous of it, and want all the power to themselves, rather than power to the people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They didn't know how the revolution would turn out until it actually happened. Capitalism can suck as bad as Communism, ask those poor coal miners in England during the industrial revolution. Che was idealistic, and I think people admire that. Our free market capitalism seems to be leaking away all our production to China, and it's leaving us with crappy Wal-Mart service jobs with no future. People flee Cuba because they want to eat and make money. We will see if our brand of capitalism will even provide that in the years to come.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

oh yeah...sure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

LOL
    I guess you can call it "idealistic" if you want to take all the power and wealth from the people and give it to 1 entity (the Communist government). And then everyone lives like peasants in fear of their dictating government.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Buying a Che t-shirt is a triumph of capitalism over communism. Ever think of that?

10. John99 Banned Banned

Hey, you want the truth or you want to write books and win elections?

11. Kadark Banned Banned

I love Che Guevara (not in a gay way, but instead for the things he accomplished).

That being said, I hate the current wave of teenagers who wear t-shirts with Che's renowned picture because it's the popular thing to do. The same people usually don't know the first thing about Che, and proudly wear his shirt thinking that he fought for their ideals and ambitions. Idiots. You usually go up to these type of people and ask them simple, rookie-level questions about Che, just to test the waters and gauge their intelligence. "Hey, that's a cool t-shirt of Fidel Castro you're wearing! Where did you get it?" At this point, your oblivious subject has his hands akimbo, and his chin held comically high because he truly believes your compliment is genuine. "I got it online. So, you really like it?" Unfortunately, your worst suspicions are confirmed at this predictable point. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't conform for the sake of conforming, which unfortunately has tarnished Che's image as of late. He has become a profitable gimmick instead of a historical figure and educational embodiment.

For shame.

12. John99 Banned Banned

I cannot see how you would know much about him. Did you know him personally?

13. DubStyle I may be wrong, but I doubt it Registered Senior Member

Yeah, its not like you see Conservatives running around in Pinochet shirts.

14. Kadark Banned Banned

How else would I know anything about him? I learned about him from reading books.

I'm still working on the time machine.

15. countezero Registered Senior Member

I love how whenever an American on this site deigns to criticize someone in history, the Indian issue, tried and true, is toted out to prove how evil America is. So far as this topic is concerned, let me know when college kids start wearing Andrew Jackson T-shirts and reading books about his revolutionary deeds. Che was a thug, and I'm glad the US ended his life.

16. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I have this revolutionary T-shirt

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When your land is taken away from you by the government, your rights are eliminated, you have no education and there's poverty everywhere I'd think that you as well as anyone else would rise up the overthrow a regime that oppresses people, wouldn't you?

18. John99 Banned Banned

True about Indians. Of course it was Christopher Columbus who wrongly called them Indians. And TBH they are all over S.A....they are the same people:shrug:

I also find it interesting that so-called revolutionaries from S.A often times were not native South Americans or at the very least have European heritage. Che Guevara did Arbenz did too, as a matter of fact bothe of their fathers were European - perhaps someone should check on that but i am fairly certain i am correct. It is doubtful these people had the best interest of the average South American in mind and both were in fact killed by the local governments.

As for myself, i stopped believing in "heroes" (standing up for the poor) when i discovered they were all full of shit.

19. John99 Banned Banned

Oh, well if you are content being lied to and manipulated by story tellers and fairy tales then more power to you.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Che was neither good nor evil, he was simply a crazy militant idealist bent on bring equality and prosperity to some of the poor people of the world, and using what ever means to achieve that, even if it meant causing revolts and revolutions that could have killed thousands. Many today in south american look at Che as a man waaaaay ahead of his time, some of the changes Che fought for have come to be and the man is generally idealized by south americans people and goverments today, strange.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Except he wasn't crazy.

22. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Luke Skywalker was a rebel who stood up against the large oppressive imperial empire, an empire which contained many people apparently enjoying the better life they had and not caring about anyone they took advantage of or who was considered lesser than the empire.
    Basically whether or not you are a hero or villain depends entirely on who's side of the fence you sit.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I would say his idealism made him make decision that were not sane.