The Secular Value and Atheist Rejection of Sacred Texts

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Nom-De-Plume, Jan 14, 2013.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Hence - What is that "on his own"?
    How can a person intuit something "on his own"?

When directly confronted with a question like "Do you believe that you know The Absolute Truth?", few people would reply affirmatively, as this does seem a preposterous question, answering it affirmatively would be nothing less than the declaration of omniscience.

Nevertheless, for all practical intents and purposes, people do believe that their opinions aren't merely opinions, but The Absolute Truth itself; ie. that the way they see things really is "how things really are", and not just a reflection of their subjective preferences.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Then your experience is vastly different than mine.

Although I by no means can say that I have "found God", progressively, my search for God has effectively undone many of the frustrations I have had about God. I have also experienced some beautiful things along the way, things I have never thought possible before.

In that case, the problem may not be in the advice given in the scriptures.
    Scriptures give advice for how to attain a particular goal; not just any goal.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nom-de-Plume,

If such a meme exists, I'm not aware of it. Certainly, the atheist community does not believe that the Bible, the Qu'ran or any other book is "holy" or inspired by any deity. Atheists believe that all such texts were written by human beings.

In my experience, many atheists know the bible better than many Christians. So, they know it isn't a "perfect" book, or even a Good book (in the moral sense). The bible is a mixed bag. That's not to underestimate its huge impact on our civilisation, as you say:

I agree with you.

1) Do you believe sacred texts should be completely ignored, if one is Atheist?​

It would be silly to try to ignore texts of such obvious influence, such as the bible and the Qur'an. Particular if you want to understand religion and religious people.

2) Do you believe sacred texts can have secular value?​

As literary works, poetry, philosophy - certainly. They also embody a particular worldview, or perhaps several worldviews that explain a lot of history.

3) Do you believe that sacred texts are only retrogressive, or that historically, they have at times propagated progressive views and messages?​

It's a mixed bag. For example, some of the laws in the Qur'an were quite progressive at the time they were written, yet the same laws are seen to be wanting in the light of modern political and social ideas.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.