The speed of flying saucers and blinking out phenomenon

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, Dec 7, 2013.

1. river

In my book , THE FLYING SAUCERS ARE REAL ,by Donald Keyhoe , 1950

He talks about the speed of these saucers at 18,000mph

Thats 300miles per minute

And per second

That 5miles , per second

Its no wonder that they seem to , " blink out "

Your eye could simply not keep up

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

the iss travels at 14,000- 17.1 mph, and at times when over my area i can watch it fly over for at lease 3 minutes.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How did he measure the speed?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Stars are moving much faster, but speeds you observer are angular, not linear speeds so their angular rate is effectively zero and they appear "as fixed points" in the heavens.

This is also why it is easier to "see" a black hole pass in front of a star if it I not too close to earth. I used this fact in my book Dark visitor to explain why the postulated approaching black hole (which of course can't be seen in "reflected" sun light) can not be seen by its effect on distant star images either. - I.e. it is already too close to Earth, and has been detected only via very slight still perturbations of Pluto's orbit, which are hard to distinguish from ort cloud object perturbations.

8. river

With a theodolite , a surveyor's instrument ( the speed was fifteen thousand mph. Not 18000mph , still in one minute it would travel , 250miles , in one second , 4.17miles )

Here's a brief excerpt from the book I mentioned , pg.97

First by Redell

" Wait a minute, here's an even better test . I happen to know about this case personally. Marvin Miles-he's an aviation writer in Los-Angeles- was down at White Sands Proving Ground some time ago. He talked with a Navy rocket expert who was in charge of naval guided-missile projects. This Navy man-he's a commander in the regular service-told Miles they'd seen four saucers down in that area. "

" Your sure he wasn't kidding Miles? " I said ( I being Donald Keyhoe ) . Then I remembered Purdy's tip about White Sands case .

" I told you I checked on this myself , " Redell said, a little annoyed. " After Miles told me about it , I asked an engineer who'd been down there if it was true. He gave me the same story , figures and all. The first saucer was tracked by White Sands observers with a theodolite. The they worked out its performance with ballistics formulas."

Redell looked at me grimly.

" The thing was about fifty miles up . And it was making over fifteen thousand miles an hour !"

9. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Matter is almost non existent. What we perceive as solid is just matter moving at high speeds. A spider web could cut through lead like butter if we move it fast enough.

Is it not possible that a spacecraft is shifting dimensions slightly. Knocking themselves out of phase/resonance with us?

That is if such aircraft existed.

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

The nearest known solar system that might have life living in it is over 16 light years away. If a being wanted to fly a saucer that is about the size of a small jet or some have been "seen" as big as a large jet then how can that being ever reach Earth when it would take over 1000 years to get here at 18,000 MPH? How about food? What about a break down with the propulsion system?

11. Trapped Banned Banned

According to a source I have just finished reading, UFO's speeds have been measured using radar devices. The Military got so used to unidentified objects in the sky, that the ones which moved at incredible speeds where dubbed ''fast walkers'' as opposed to the slow walkers ''satellites'' which orbit our Earth. Some of these objects have been reported to move at many machs.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

So the same speed and altitude as a deorbiting satellite.

13. Trapped Banned Banned

Though I think you need to understand, military officials are not naturally concerned with fast moving objects. There are plenty meteorites with large kinetic energies that often can be picked up coming into our atmosphere. It's objects with unusual flight paths which often cause concern.

14. Trapped Banned Banned

Plus more importantly, we have all satellites and space debris mapped out, it's the job of space programs working for the Military to know where these objects are in space. It's a safety issue.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Military officials are PAID to be concerned about fast moving objects!

And there are plenty of meteorites with odd trajectories that are mistaken for satellites (at least initially.)

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I would think not as radar gives range too. If far away, not likely to be a not yet it track satellite even if speed is like a satellite's.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Exactly. And thus a meteor at 50 miles altitude looks a lot like a satellite. (And it hasn't really begun to see serious friction heating yet, so it doesn't _look_ like a meteor yet.)

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

krash661, what does "14,000- 17.1 mph" signify? Sorry, but it is not an immediately understandable notation of speed/velocity to me.

19. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

14,000 miles per hour to 17,100 miles per hour,it's speed ranges.
    this is what is called speed/velocity ,
    miles per hour means,
    how many miles is traveled in an hour due to speed
    in other words,
    in one hour the iss travels at lease 14,000 miles in one hour.

if i remember correctly, this is taught in elementary school,
    but i'm not sure.

20. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

krash661, thanks for the clarification of your stated speed/velocity of the ISS.

As for your...little primer...re-education...elementary school re-hash...on what MPH is and how MPH relates to speed/velocity...well...

krash661, though I am not sure where, when or if - and indeed, what level of schooling you completed, there is also a subject known as Elementary Writing Composition Skills.
    Some people learned to re-check/re-read/edit any composition prior to submitting/publishing/posting said composition. Oddly enough - and I do remember correctly - I learned it in Elementary School.

krash661, although a simple "my bad, I meant to type : the iss travels at between 14,000 mph and 17,100 mph" would have sufficed, it is nice for you to remind the readers of SciForum of our limited learning in relation to the Truly Superior/Elite thinkers that, evidently, also occupy our current reality.

krash661, again, thanks for the clarification, and may you and yours have a Happy Holiday Season!

21. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

if you actually understand english writing, then my writing should not be a problem.
    i understand if you do not have a grasp on english writing and reading comprehension,
    you would not be able to understand.
    which a high school student of english would be able to.

my writing is fine,
    many individuals in this world understand my writing just fine.

well here's your problem,
    what i wrote is notation of speed/velocity, it's that you did not know this.
    in english writing,
    the - mark represents " range" as in,
    "3. category defined by limits: a category defined by an upper and a lower limit
    the age range from 25 to 45 "

the 17.1 mph is the notation of 17,100 miles per hour only because of the conjunction of 14,000 that was clearly stated.
    and conjunction means,
    " 1. grammar connecting word: a word that is used to link sentences, clauses, phrases, or words, e.g. "and," "but," or "
    " combining of several things: the act of joining or combining two or more things "

so maybe you do not understand english writing?

everyone is at different stages of consciousness.
    there is a certain stage you reach where your intent is to only speak your truth,
    not to convince others of it.
    you begin to realize that everyone has their own path.
    in other words, you cannot convince a baby they should be walking
    when they are at the stage of crawling.
    to convince them of that truth, is irrelevant.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

It's very hard to decipher. It is full of spelling and grammatical errors. For example:

"the iss travels at 14,000- 17.1 mph"
    Does this mean it travels at (14,000 - 17.1)=13982.9 mph? Between 14,000 and 17mph? (literally true if you factor in speeds before launch, although off by about 100mph on the top end) Adding some missing numbers and changing a few things, between 14,000 and 17,000 MPH? Perhaps but incorrect, since it is in a nearly circular orbit and its speed does not change that much.

(I could continue but I think you see the point.)

One of the problems with on-line communications is that all communications is through the written word. When talking, people can often get away with mangled grammar, incorrect word usage and poor construction because they can also hear the emphasis in your voice. When writing, those audible cues are not present, so it's important to use reasonably good spelling and grammar when you post on line if you want to be understood.

A "high school level of english" might help you get your points across better.

23. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...t-phenomenon&p=3143759&viewfull=1#post3143759

so maybe you do not understand english writing either ?

many individuals that do not have a low level mentality in this world, understands my writing just fine.
    there's nothing to decipher,
    i'm not talking in code,
    i clearly stated what i meant.
    first,
    i do not see spelling error,
    second the only grammar error i see , is i did not capitalize certain letters,
    which should have not made a difference in what i stated due to the context of the conversation.
    maybe try to actually use your brain instead of running on auto pilot and not think things through,
    just a thought tho.

and also, maybe learn something about the iss and it's orbit, before you state what is or is not correct about it.

this site will help you understand the iss orbit and it's changes in speed and altitude,
    it only takes observation of this in time
    http://iss.astroviewer.net/index.p