The Tea Party Revealed!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Apr 16, 2010.

1. 786 Searching for Truth Valued Senior Member

Well obviously the 'original' was the Boston Tea Party but the 'modern' one seems to be Dr. Paul's fundraiser... I'm not familiar with any others that happened before this- although it could be that they weren't popular enough but the movement by Dr. Paul was and is popular.

Peace be unto you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I gave you numbers, just because you don't like them does not mean they are wrong. And Tiassa followed up with a more detailed analysis of those numbers. I think the facts speak for themselves.

I find it funny that these Tea Partiers are now claiming inflitration by "liberals". I think I would add paranoia to the description of these Tea Party people if they are seriously claiming infiltration. Where is the proof? There is none because it is just Tea Party propaganda. Instead of maning up, they choose to invent excuses for their bad behavior.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Tea stands for trouble as unity goes to pot
    ANNE SUMMERS
    April 17, 2010 (Link - The Age).

In considering the state of the union, one might think that the passage of reforms to healthcare and the student loans system, a presidential directive to cut both fuel consumption and emissions from cars over the next four years, and the economic green shoots finally appearing, might be embraced by a grateful nation. Instead, the country has probably never been more divided.

Take the Tea Party movement, established on April 15, 2009 (the day Americans have to file their tax returns). What was initially a ragtag group, comprising - among others - swine-flu sceptics, 9/11 "truthers", evangelicals, Atlas Shruggers and "birthers" (those who are convinced that Obama is a Muslim double agent born in Kenya), the Tea ("taxed enough already") baggers - as they are known - are already more popular than the Republican Party.

They talk about "the second American revolution", where the weapons are the constitution, the internet and talk-radio, but their language is drawn from an earlier, violent revolution. "Kill the bill", they chanted outside Congress while healthcare was being voted on.

Their pin-up is Sarah Palin, who headlined the first Tea Party convention in February and who marked tax day this week with a fiery speech denouncing all government spending: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should", she said, to huge applause.

The Tea Party is founded on mistrust of all politicians, resentment of all taxes, a hatred of the bailout of Wall Street and the car industry, total opposition to the healthcare bill and, especially, a loathing of Obama.

This week the Rasmussen polling organisation reported that 24 per cent of voters now consider themselves part of the Tea Party, a rise of 8 per cent in a month. A further 10 per have a close friend or family member who is a tea-bagger. This is a movement that is 80 per cent white; 89 per cent of whose members disapprove of Obama and want him impeached and 96 per cent of whom believe America is on the wrong track.

At the heart of all Obama's proposed reforms are changes to the tax system. He sees his healthcare bill as attacking economic inequality, shifting the tax burden to high-income earners, starting to reverse the decades-long reliance on trickle-down, in favour of bottom-up, economic growth.

You would think this would be popular with average Americans, whose real household income has risen by just 15 per cent since 1980 while the rich have seen their real incomes double. Instead, hysterical tea-baggers denounce all taxation as evil while California teeters into insolvency and another 10 states are so debt-laden they are deferring public works and slashing public payrolls.

But the chance seems long gone of rational national debate on how to deal with the deficit, the iniquities of the financial system, failing national infrastructure (remember Katrina) and how to repair the education system.

Instead of simple dreams there is ugly division and abuse, much of it racial in tone: "The Zoo has an African Lion and the White House has a Lyin' African," read a sign at the 9/12 march.

We need to talk about America.​

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Indeed, the world needs to talk about American...this too can be brought to a neighborhood near you courtesy of Rupert Murdoch.

8. Bells Staff Member

And how is that going so far? Which college do you think this guy went to? I mean, did do you think he is in the 3/4 of the educated of the Tea Party activists? Do you think an educated man would do that to someone who is ill?

What about the racial slurs uttered by the crowd?

Here is the thing. You have a group within the Tea Party activists who will use the Tea Party protests as a platform to further their own ultra-right wing, racist agenda. Unless the Republicans and real activists distance themselves from such individuals and ban them from the rallies or shout them down when they do act like racist twats, then saying that 3/4 of the activists have a college education will just mean nothing really. It will just bring to mind questions about the state of education in the US. This educated individual, for example, is not doing the movement any favours.

This kind of stuff, will just bring down the movement and turn it into something else.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I just surprised that give the hate, anger, and fear in the tea movement and republican incitement of such the fact that we haven't seen deaths because of these people is amazing.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I've seen no sign of that stuff in any doings or sayings of the Tea Party.

The Tea Party is funded by petrochemical industry and led by Fox News "ideology" as established by corporate think tanks, more or less directly. Sarah Palin has been campaigning for John McCain, not the likes of Ron Paul.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is actually NOT true. You forgot to count for NETWORK news which is still reaching way more people than cable news.

So MOST people are getting their news from networks I would say probably 80%.

What you could have said, most CABLE watchers getting their news from FOX.

See how republicans get so easily confused???

12. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I would like to address all the Tea Party bashers on this thread. How do you know that what you're saying about them is 100% true? Did you hear it from actual Tea Party members? Ofcourse not. You get your information from mainstream media. And 9 times out of 10 these media stations are doing nothing more than acting as a rumor-mill.

Most media stations that you are getting your information from are probably just spreading Propaganda. They don't like the Tea Party (or the Party they lean towards doesn't like the Tea Party) and begin to spread lies so that the party loses momentum. Most of the places where you get your "facts" from, are more than likely false.

13. John99 Banned Banned

That is the scary part about this. How can someone call themselves a liberal and not support free speech? *not that i ever considered these people to be liberal

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That was in response to a response to a quote from me - is it supposed to have something to do with the quote from me?

Because if so, you appear to have confused attributions - such as that I oppose free speech - from very unreliable sources - the sort of people who call me a "liberal" - with my own posting.

It's fairly common around here for posters from a particular political stance to confuse what they themselves have claimed, typed, and then read on their screen, with what other people have posted or claimed or accepted as reality. The conversion seems to take about a week or so, and once transmuted the "reality" appears very difficult to root out - better avoided, one would assume.
    I get a lot of my information about the Tea Party from its defenders here on this forum.

15. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

That's not really any better. Are they registered members of the Tea Party? If they were than that would be acceptable. However if they are merely defending it, then how do you know that they know anything about the Tea Party's positions?

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If the Tea Party's positions are unknown to its supporters, its attackers, Fox News, its representatives on mainstream network news, its own web sites, and the people who analyze its financing and political base in various fora, then how do you know there is any such thing as a "Tea Party"?

17. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

It would be known to it's supporters(obviously), but my question was whether or not a third party(not against and not with) would honestly know the Tea Party's positions. You failed to answer that question.

They are a ligitament party, as they have people who are registered as Tea Party members.

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Well then there's nothing wrong with my getting my information about the Tea Party from its supporters, here on this forum or on TV interviews or in essays here and there or on the various official Tea Party websites, and so forth.

Sound OK?

With Republicans and Democrats I also get lots of information from their enemies, their critics, various analysis and investigation sources, comparison of claim with event, and so forth. How about if I use sources like those, as well?

19. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

The thing is that if you're not getting it from REGISTERED Tea Party Members, than who's to say it's 100% the truth. I have nothing against you getting it from actual members, but to get it from people who aren't really with the Tea Party is not the best idea.

See above.

That can be misleading. I could say my opponent voted for abortion when in actuality he was against. The thing is how can you believe what Democrats say about the Tea Party, with the knowledge that they are against the Tea Party? Knowing that they would willingly spread Propoganda to derail the Tea Party?

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That doesn't work for anything else, like the Democrats or Republicans or Boy Scouts or Chicago fire department.

Why is the Tea Party so different from everything else? btw: How do you know it even exists, on your criteria?

Why would I believe stuff that is contradicted by evidence? I can look up voting records on abortion, I can compare what Tea Party representatives say with what Democrats say they say, like anything else.

21. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Relevant how?

The Tea Party exists. As I stated before, there are registered members of the party. Therefore it's a real party.

And if the Democrats falsify evidence to make you believe one way?

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Who cares if it is true? Since when Fox news watcher/ tea partiers care about the truth?

I think the best penalty is if we don't care about the truth and give them the same treatment what they give to the truth. So I take their stupidity at facevalue....

Oh, the irony!!!!

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

On the other hand stupid shits or not, I welcome the Tea Party as a grassroot movement and as a popular try at real democracy. It is just a shame that it has to be a fringy mindless rightwing movement.