The ten most important events in the 20th century?

Discussion in 'History' started by Undecided, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

either comparing what we had then and what we have now...gives our society more leeway to do things.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Undecided Banned Banned

Yes, but the premise of this thread was for things that were made, or major events in the 20th century.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

well ok then was health care back then?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

In which sense? If you mean doctors helping the poopulation, yes. Was it good medicine? No, but nevertheless, it did exist.

8. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

stuff like OHIP...health care coverage.

9. Undecided Banned Banned

You live in Ontario? Universal Healtcare you mean? Well I am not sure if it is a 20th century innovation. You should find out...

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Thank you for your open mind in this matter.

11. Undecided Banned Banned

spuriousmonkey

Why are you acting as if this is something that is we can have a opinionated debate, The fact is that the vaccinations are not unique to the 20th century. Do you deny this? I don't need a "open mind", if I were to use my fantasy then I would agree with you, but since reality dictates...

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

remember this?

13. Undecided Banned Banned

That is not indictating anything but mass inoculations, it does not say anything about the vaccine being a purely 20th century deal. If you said the Small Pox vaccine I would accept it because it altered mankind, and it was in the 20th century. But to claim the vaccince as being 20th century deal is misrepresentation of the facts. This is not my opinion, it's merely a fact.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Good for you that you have facts. History doesn't work like that.

15. Undecided Banned Banned

So then tell me, wtf are you even trying to say? You aren't making any sense.

16. Redrover Registered Senior Member

I would of though somebody would have given this one already:

Man landing on the moon.

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is not worth my effort if you don't understand by now.

18. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

I think the invention of the sixties was one of the most important events in the twentieth century. Of course, it took them until 1983 to invent them...

19. Undecided Banned Banned

It is not worth my effort if you don't understand by now.

Loving the cognitive surrender pal, what you were calling was mass inoculations and you know it. What you were telling me before was vaccinations themselves, so insist on the surrender I will insist on laughing.

The 60's

Was a interesting time to say the least, it seemed to have the nexus of a relatively peaceful social revolution. By the looks of it the US by the 1960's was a state that had some key events take place. I think the election of Kennedy being a catholic symbolized change, and renewal of the US, the WASP monopoly had been broken in the US. Racial movements found their voice in leaders like MLK, and Malcolm X, with progressive leaders who interpreted the constitution and the bill of rights as they should be read, for all men. The era is known as the "American enlightenment" with aspects of individuality, exercising that freedom, a huge middle class, a society which was deeply idealistic, and a society that was trying to really reform what is the US. The movement of youth in that period of history brought fresh new ideas. The 60's also had its bad side; hedonistic values overrode the people of the US, the spread and influence of drugs, and sex. The period of the 60's was obviously a movement against war, especially in Vietnam. The period was one of a gradual Soviet-US detente after the atomic testing treaty, and stability in the USSR under Brezhnev. It reached the fever pitch at the convention in Chicago 1968, and the election of Nixon in the same year. The 60's really ended in the early 70's after the spirit of the 60's burned out in 1972, and the American enlightenment ended around the rise of Disco.

20. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

And of course this is how MTV remembers the sixties today. Or no, actually that part of history has been totally revised in the popular consciousness to be entirely unlike the events you just mentioned.

Martin Luther King is a soundbite
    Kennedy is a sack of meat in the back of a car
    Nixon is a library
    Vietnam is a series of movies
    Drugs were invented in the sixties

No one remembers. Talk to a high school student... they probably don't remember Reagan. The reinvention of the sixties is an important event in the twentieth century, even if it happened a little late.

21. Undecided Banned Banned

I can tell you that ppl don't care about the past, it is the perfect example of willed ignorance. The 60’s were a time of real change; I think the verdict is still out on whether or not it was a good thing or bad thing for the US. I mean obviously the Black movement, and Feminism has made the US better, but has the rest? Have things gone too far? Is America really the America that your founding fathers wanted?

22. Redrover Registered Senior Member

Why should America (or Canada or Great-Britain or anything else, for that matter) be what our founding fathers wanted? Shouldn't it be what we want?

23. Undecided Banned Banned

Why should America (or Canada or Great-Britain or anything else, for that matter) be what our founding fathers wanted? Shouldn't it be what we want?

My answer is no, because if we use that logic constitutions and the like mean nothing. The cornerstone of our societies is the respect of enlightenment ideals, and egalitarianism, and Utilitarianism as the foundations of our societies. But to have the period of time control itself would be like a teen without a parent, it would go wild. For instance it may be popular to kill x ppl for no reason, but it is populist and thus we are getting what we want. That is obviously not right, if society did what it wanted it is possible blacks would still be segregated today. We as a society need a guide, and to ignore the founding fathers of nations would be to ignore the nation itself.