The term 'teabagger' - acceptable or not?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Jul 13, 2011.

?

Should sciforums moderators police the usage by members of the term "teabagger"?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2011.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Okay but these interests have managed to garner average americans for their own use, they've managed to create grass-roots action that cynically works for their own corporate interests, they're not really anti-government, they behave like Tories, this is understood. What I don't understand is why, if liberals throughout the US are aware of this, don't take counter-action? You don't need corporate sponsorship in order to organize and take to the streets. I find the inaction on the part of the left very disturbing to say the least, I believe this inaction to be self-destructive for the very values they say they stand to defend.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Then perhaps you guys need to begin confronting this:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/orwell-rolls-in-his-grave/

If you don't its to your peril.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

When do we let the tea bags fly?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And I would make the distinction, it is one thing to use the term to apply to the political movement that created the term to describe themselves and quite another to use it against individuals - especially if they are not a part of the politcial movement that created the term to describe themselves.

8. Bells Staff Member

Yes..

That one did make me have a good laugh!

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert Title Here)

Thank ye, madam, for the link. I'll watch through it tonight ... I hope. Sometime soon.

Meanwhile, check in on the latest teabagger conspiracy theory.

No, really. I admit, I'm partway puzzled as to why anyone gives them any credibility. Perhaps you could explain what about a con job is so praiseworthy.

Its efficacy, perhaps? Would you suggest that the left wing should engage in similar attempts to swindle the public? Is that the solution, that truth and facts should become anathema in American politics?

Help us understand why you're so enamored with these people.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well do we have a ruling on the Teabagger? Is it an acceptable term for Sciforums?

11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Ok, I'm late to the game but didn't Anderson Cooper coin the term as a slur to describe tea party members?

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The consensus seems to be that moderators should not moderate use of the term "teabagger" on sciforums.

I think we're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.