The true question of religion and god

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by FyreStar, Aug 25, 1999.

1. Plato Registered Senior Member

Fyrestar,

Reluctently I must come to the defence of the catholic church here.

"the reason why there are only a few other books that have lasted so long (and there are others) is because the aforementioned church took it upon itself to destroy uncounted millions of other such books."

This sure is a wee bit exaggerated to say the least ! Don't forget that the medieval abbeys and convents were lightpoints of knowledge in a dark age of illiteracy. They preserved the holy as well as the pagan literature. Our knowlegde of the ancient world would be far less then it is now if it werent for them.
    Of course the pope also put a lot of works on the black list but these were mostly works about matters of faith since all through history the bible was interpreted in various ways, creating various factions amongst the christians who were (mostly violently) opposing each other.
    You know this behavior kind of reminds me of what Boris said about how populations preserve their 'bad' mutations in their gene pool. May be the different sects and profets that 'infested' the world religions are just these things, they are nescessary in order for the religions to cope with different challenges who lie ahead.
    My o my ain't I blasphemous ?

------------------
    "If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants."
    Isaac Newton

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. FyreStar Faithless since 1980 Registered Senior Member

Plato -
    It is not an exaggeration in the slightest. After the crusades, a good deal of the literature in the Spain area were destroyed. Parts of the Library of Alexandria were burned to the ground. Any religious texts that were deemed incorrect were "cleansed" as well as the books sharing the room with them. In some areas of the continent, the concept of zero had to be rediscovered. Also, the "literacy" promoted by the church was conditional. The only reason that they were the only thing keeping knowledge alive and progressing was because they had stomped other means out of existance. And don't forget the editations made to ancient texts, such as Constantine's little "gift".

FyreStar

[This message has been edited by FyreStar (edited September 06, 1999).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mock Registered Member

Fyrestar

Sorry I took so long to get back to this topic. Firstly, my point about the Bible`s Divine message has to do with the Integrity of It`s Message. No amount of tampering from within as well as without the Church, has changed the integrity of It`s basic Message of Redemption. You are missing my point. My argument is not " because the Bible has been around for 1500 years" one must believe in a Deity. It is because no amount of man-made tampering has had any adverse effect on the Message. Not even Constantine. From the first Fragments to the compilation of the Canon (non-Catholic), the Message has not changed. God has not allowed mankind to do this, so that before His return,millions can still find Salvation through His Message in the Bible. Think about the many times the Bible has been copied, translated, typeset, printed and reprinted, think about the many potential areas and times where it could have gone wrong due to human error and other external factors. But It has not. This is because God Himself is preserving His Message of Salvation to mankind via the Bible.

Secondly, one cannot blame the Church (modern Curches included) outright for the destruction of the great historical and philosophical works that were destroyed in the name of Christ during the middle ages and at other periods in history. This has a lot to do with mankind`s perversion of Christianity for his own goddless selfish reasons. To hold on to the Churches political power and wealth. Jesus nowhere in the Bible condones this behaviour. Rather the meek and humble will inherit the earth. Believe in Me and follow My path, and I will give you Everlasting Life. This message is plain to anyone reading the Bible.

Lastly, please can you expand on the " impossibilties and situations that are now regarded as morally wrong by most people" that you stated in response to ISDAMan.
    Maybe I can help clarify some of these points from a Biblical viewpoint.

One last thing, if or when you find Jesus, it will become as clear as daylight that you can have Eternal Life through his Salvation.
    All the above arguments will fall beautifully into place.

In Christ.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xeno Registered Senior Member

I certainly believe in the bible.
    I read it every day and pray to god
    every night.

-------------------------------------------
    I find it rather interesting as to
    how the bible is written in a poetic
    type of way.