The Trump Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trumper The Great, The First Few Weeks in Office:

1) His manly executive orders have been neutered by the US Constitution through the courts.

2) He has failed to jail his opponent as he promised to do.

3) His central campaign promise to repeal and replace Obamacare didn't happen on day 1 as promised, and it looks like it will ever happen. It seems the Trumper, the great negotiator/deal maker, cannot close the deal with his own party. Only 17% of Americans support Trumpcare.

http://www.businessinsider.com/quin...ent-of-american-support-trumpcare-ahca-2017-3

I think this clearly shows Republicans have lied about Obamacare for the last 8 years. They have demagogued Obamacare for 8 years now. They've tried to repeal it 50 plus times over the years when they knew Democrats would save their butts. But now, when Republicans can actually repeal Obamacare, they in all likelihood will not do it. Because Republican officials know they have been lying about Obamacare for the last 8 years. Republicans meet reality, and it ain't pretty.

4) His wall which would get higher and wider if Mexico refused to pay for it, well, it's more like a fence now, and Mexico isn't paying for it.

5) Trump's tax cuts and infrastructure spending.....? God knows when or if those things will happen. Trump's famed negotiating skills appear to be undeserving of the fame. And his incompetence, scandals, and potential criminal activities may well neuter his ability to pass even these simple bills through Congress where there is bipartisan support for these bills.

6) Trump and his campaign staffers are targets of an FBI investigation, and the White House appears to be in a state of chaos. And he and his campaign staff are the targets of 2 congressional investigations.

7) He has offended all of our allies.

Trump has done all those things in just a few short weeks. I think it is or should be increasingly apparent Trump is a fraud.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Today Republicans are suppose to vote on Trumpcare. In the past, with a Democrat in the White House, Republican legislators could always count on the Democrat to save their collective butts. But with a Republican in the White House, Republicans no longer have that luxury. If Republicans pass Trumpcare, it could well become the end of the party. When Joe Teaparty sees his healthcare coverage soar from 1,700 per year to nearly 15,000 dollar a year with reduced coverage, there will be hell to pay in 2018. Trump has promised better cheaper healthcare. That's not what he is delivering.

I think the best thing Republicans can hope for is failure. It was stupid for Trump to go down this path. It's best for the party to take some egg on the face now than face an electoral disaster in 2018. It's a difficult bind, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oystein Registered Senior Member

They CAN'T produce anything better than the ACA (Obamacare) unless they are willing to do these three things: (1) make it single payer and (2) put some money into it. Yes, even tax money. And (3) mandatory premiums, just like Medicare.

The best solution I've heard recently is to just expand Medicare to cover EVERYONE. Then let the health insurance companies do the Medigap coverages. Yes, this would cost. The solution to cost: pull money out of the severely over-bloated defense budget. Will this ever happen? Not in the near future.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Agreed, but it's against Republican principals to do any of those things.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The question now is who does he blame for his failures? He certainly will not blame himself. Trumper never holds himself accountable. I expect he will blame Democrats. That's a Republican staple. It will be interesting to see if he blames the Tea Party caucus, Ryan, or his staff.

douwd20 likes this.
  10. Oystein Registered Senior Member

I may be wrong but I don't think even one Repub helped the vote when ACA was voted thru. They (the Repubs) can't expect anything more in return.

Alas, the days of compromise and bipartisan-supported bills are over. Shame really.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Never underestimate the capacity of conservatives to vote against their own best interests.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Never under estimate their vulnerability to manipulation by unscrupulous folks.

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Well, the health care bill got cancelled because, Trump, is a pussy.

Besides an asshole and a looser.

14. douwd20 Registered Senior Member

Now HOW did you guess that?

Mr. Trump, in a telephone interview moments after the bill was pulled, blamed Democrats and predicted that they would seek a deal within a year after, he asserted, “Obamacare explodes” because of higher premiums.
    Now why would the democrats want to work with him given his mission to destroy ObamaCare? They cut the power and pointed the nose down. And they want help? Right.

15. Oystein Registered Senior Member

I know Trump is an a-hole but I thought he was tighter, not looser.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Meanwhile, Bannon continues the "deconstruction" (his term) of the Federal Government:
    http://www.healthcareitnews.com/new...-tapped-lead-ocr-spurring-outrage-lgbt-groups

JD from Harvard Law, government job and high-level think tank appointment: a card-carrying member of the pointyheaded elite of the elite, an east coast Washington lawyer complete with degrees in philosophical debate and talk talk talk from Ivy League schools. One of these guys who “authors” position papers.
    More bio: http://www.fed-soc.org/experts/detail/roger-severino
    BA from the U of Southern California, a Masters in “Public Policy” from the bureaucrat factory at Carnegie Mellon. Frequent guest intellectual on the liberal media - CNN, MSNBC, PBS, all of them.

Here he is on C-Span: https://www.c-span.org/video/?326875-1/heritage-foundation-discussion-obergefell-v-hodges-ruling
    His own words written: http://www.cnsnews.com/author/roger-severino The ad at the top of the page, as of today, is a nice touch.
    His think tank cred: http://www.fed-soc.org/experts/detail/roger-severino

Walter Terra provides us with the template (from http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2017/03/un-man-not-get-animals-content-plants)

“This week, President Donald Trump appointed _____ to lead the Department of _____ Office of ______, an office whose work they have actively opposed “
    - - -
    In mulling over the position the Washington lawyer and Carnegie Mellon/Harvard elite member has put himself, or at least his soul, in, I ran across some perspective from a different Roger Severino, one with a Christian and values-centered perspective than can help those who have lost their way in the Washington house of mirrors: http://rogerseverino.com/category/leadership/

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That was an easy guess. Republicans always blame Trump no matter what.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

"So I've watched the politicians. I've dealt with them all my life. If you can't make a good deal with a politician, then there's something wrong with you. You're certainly not very good". - Donald Trump June 2015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-a-presidential-bid/?utm_term=.446737acfec0

Well, by The Donald's own standards he is certainly not very good. He couldn't make a deal, any deal good or bad, within his own party.

19. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I watched the news conference with, Paul Ryan, afterward. He talked about how wonderful the bill would have been, and I'm thinking, 'well, if it was so wonderful, why did you pull it because of lack of support?'

joepistole likes this.
  20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Republicans dodged a poison pill today. If they would have enacted this bill, it would have been disastrous for them next year. When Joe Sixpack saw his healthcare premiums go from 1,700 a year to 15,000 dollars a year under Trumpcare, well, Republicans dodged a bullet today. If they enacted this law, Democrats would have swept the 2018 congressional elections.

21. Oystein Registered Senior Member

Hey, Trump supporters are dying.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/educated-middle-age-us-whites-dying-younger-46316914

I think meth is the drug of choice for red-state rednecks that support Trump.

douwd20 likes this.
  22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

This promise will yet see some intriguing outcomes IMO.
    He hasn't pursued Hillary as he promised to do why? do you think?
    If Hillary was pursue-able Trump would have taken every opportunity he could to see her go to jail. Fact is he hasn't been able to politically capitalize on jailing Hillary.
    The enormous emphasis in his campaign strategy was the "send her to prison" rant. Every rally event included audience participation.
    Nay!.. this promise has yet to be resolved...
    I believe Hillary still has significant leverage. Enough to keep Trump quiet. Leverage that can not be used against any party. (in the national interests) and leverage that may yet have an "outing" (if and when it becomes in the national interest to do so)

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump hasn't had Hillary arrested as promised because he doesn't have the power to do so. He is POTUS, but he doesn't have the power to order people arrested. In order to arrest Hillary, you need evidence of criminal wrong doing on her part and that there is no such evidence. That's why he hasn't even attempted to arrest Hillary. Unfortunately, neither Trump or his devotees seem to understand that very basic fact about American government. This is something they should have learned in grade school. Apparently, Trump and his devotees aren't the brightest bulbs on the shelf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.