The Trump Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Of course you can throw one source of propaganda at another source any time so don't waste your's or my time, but do you agree that Obama's administration first introduced a relaxing of attitude towards Assad well before the Trump administration came into office or not?

Putin was hesitant in getting involved in Syria with the USA being so severe in it's attitude towards regime change. However when the USA Obama Foreign Affairs team** suggested that the USA priority was shifting towards the defeat of Daesh, Putin had an opt in, which he took advantage of. ( that degrading Daesh was a higher priority than regime change)

**I can not recall whether it was Kerry or the UN ambassador or other.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

I'm not aware of such a relaxing attitude. Putin was hesitant in getting involved because such a thing is always very dangerous. The reason to get involved was that the visible alternative would have been a removal of Assad simply because the pro-Assad forces became exhausted, and because the many Russian-speaking jihadists there would be too dangerous in the long term for Russia if they would get Syria as a base.

It was never a question for most of the Russian commentators that the move was, in a large part, anti-American. The reaction of at least the German establishment press (which I think is simply NATO propaganda press) was clearly negative.

I would not exclude that there were considerable variations in the Syrian policy of the US. Such variations, as well as even conflicts between various parts of the Obama government (Kerry vs. Pentagon vs. CIA) have been seen and discussed by Russian observers too. Even Putin himself has, at least implicitly, referred to them: When asked about the elections, part of his answer was that he hopes that it will be possible to make some agreements with the new administration - which was interpreted as a hint that it is impossible to have agreements with the Obama administration because they are sabotaged by other parts. So, there may have been, among the many variations, also some relaxations. But what I seriously doubt is your thesis that such relaxations would have been the base for Putin doing something.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. douwd20 Registered Senior Member

Drip drip drip

The United Arab Emirates arranged a secret meeting in January between Blackwater founder Erik Prince and a Russian close to President Vladimir Putin as part of an apparent effort to establish a back-channel line of communication between Moscow and President-elect Donald Trump, according to U.S., European and Arab officials.

Blackwater founder held secret Seychelles meeting to establish Trump-Putin back channel

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Now with the "supposed" bombing in St Petersburg and conspiracy theories running rampant about red flags and fake news and anti corruption protesters mass arrests etc... Putin may find out what happens when he screws over his own credibility and how his own abuse of information against others can turn against him...

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Who do you think you are fooling comrade? Is your Syrian thread getting a bit dull? Are you tired of spamming your own thread? How are your pro Russian Syrian posts relevant to this thread?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

of course they can strike from any where .... crazy to think other wise... (eg. Russian speaking Jihadists using St Petersburg as a base....)

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Assad has been continually guilty of State terrorism for years now. So Putin's missing at least one.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump's financial sponsors, the Mercer's, are spending millions of dollars to prop up Trump's presidency. That, like everything else with Trump, is unprecedented. It's kinda early to be needing a bailout. But with a job approval rating of 35% the need is undeniable. At this rate Trump is well on his way to bankrupting the Mercers.

12. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Of course, Putin does not use the American way to justify aggression against sovereign states - to use propaganda against the government of that state, and then to attack the "evil" government.
    Of course, but it is one thing to have a whole state, or at least a whole territory controlled by own armed forces, and another one to have to hide completely.
    The point which is relevant for this thread is that Trump has clarified that "Assad must go" is no longer a priority of the US. Which is all what I have discussed in #1056. If you think mentioning Putin here is off-topic, pretenses to Quantum Quack, who has started this in #1058

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So his excuse of combatting terrorism is bs - he's defending one of the primary terrorists in Syria, and in the region as a whole.
    Are you still paying attention to what that guy says?

"Get their oil and trade it in dollars" is still on the leaderboard, though.

Trump's advocating for a large increase in the military budget of the US. We all know what fascists tend to do with extra military capacity, and in this case the US is already deployed into Syria. Also, Trump has financial connections in the area - plus he can be helping Putin out in the great Russian effort against a selection of terrorists, none of them State agents.

14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I thinking is kinda cool that we have our very own fake news Russian.

It makes me feel special....

spidergoat likes this.
  15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I was just correcting what I thought was a relatively minor mistake about your comparisons between the Obama and Trump administrations. Trump has indeed repeated and clarified what the Obama administration had already suggested.
    That "Assad must go" was no longer a major condition to forming an alliance against ISIL thus demonstrating a flexibility not seen very often in USA foreign policy due to the urgent need to tackle the Daesh problem.

16. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Nonsense. What he is combatting is terrorism. That he does not combat all those which you name terrorists does not mean that Daesh, Al Qaida and their friends are not terrorists.

And if you want to talk about state terrorism, Putin is also fighting the main state terrorist of the whole world, which is the US.
    I'm used to pay attention also to unreliable sources. I'm even paying some attention to what you say.
    We will see if this is dangerous or not. Even with the actual budget one can do a lot of horrible things, simply by giving it to the CIA. If one, instead, starts further improvements of F35, the harm is not that big.
    There was no alliance between US and Russia agains Daesh. And there is none yet. And Daesh was not at all a problem for the US.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Seems like he is defending the primary and most powerful source of terrorism in Syria, against not only other rival terrorists but also non-terrorist rebels against Assad's regime.
    Better to have foreseen - it's too late now. We may be able to neutralize or remove him, but the odds are against it - he's probably going to be your problem in a bit. ("Get their oil and trade it in dollars" is still on the leaderboard).
    So the State terrorism of Assad is ok, but the State terrorism of the US is not. Seems a bit tricky - especially with a short-horizon bully Russian-installed as CEO of the US.

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

You really do have a major comprehension/translation problem eh? I wrote that the main condition for the forming of an alliance was relaxed. Where did I write that an alliance had been formed?
    You may think it trivial and nonsense but these small but important differences in your interpretation make a huge difference to what you are in turn stating and therefore what you are understanding.
    Try telling that to the Trump anti Islamic extremist team. If Daesh were not , they certainly are now...

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

English lessons:
    "Trump anti Islamic extremist team" can be interpreted two ways... which one was intended do you think?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Anti-Assad propaganda disposed.
    The question is one of less evil. US state terrorism endangers the whole world and leads to wars in a lot of different countries. The victims of Syrian state terrorism are only Syrians, and only those among them who want to overthrow the government. And, moreover, it is far from clear which part of Syrian state terrorism is reality and which is Western propaganda fake.

The "Russian-installed" Trump is a good joke, the Russians have laughed a little bit, but that's all. It is not even clear if Putin has preferred Trump, several pro-Russian commentators have argued that Clinton would have been less evil for Russia (because this would have been simply more of the same failed anti-Russian strategy). The choice of your elections was about less evil too, and above candidates were obviously evil.

Anyway, it looks like Trump is already rolling back and reviving "Assad must go".
    Sorry for such a misunderstanding. In this case, what was the point of your following remark?
    Whatever, given you admit now that there was nothing like an anti-Daesh alliance between Russia and US, this makes no sense. There was no opt-in for Putin, the whole action was clearly anti-American.
    They already know that Daesh was never a problem for Obama. Trump has made even more radical claims: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...error-army-names-crooked-Hillary-founder.html

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No anti-Assad propaganda present. He's the strongman head of a moderately terrorist State, complete with torture prisons and so forth.
    It's clear that the part involving US outsourcing of "rendition" victims - essentially borrowing Syria's State prisons as a black site - by W&Cheney's administration, involved no special infrastructure or unusual changes in ordinary procedure on the part of the Syrian government. Start there.
    Here's hoping its still a good joke after he gets his military budget,
    and that the years-long Russian efforts to damage his political foes and improve his political fortunes don't kind of - you know - backfire. It's happened before, to Russia, underestimating Western fascists with armies. You don't seem to have much of an idea what a guy like Trump can do, here.
    You fools have put a banana republic fascist in charge of the US military. Do you think his incompetence, corruption, destruction of American political infrastructure and the like, will lessen the abuse of American military power? Will make the bad guys in the CIA and all the rest less of a threat to the world? Apparently you are counting on the rest of the American governing apparatus, plus the decency and stability and self-interest of the American people, to keep things on an even keel here.
    A German proverb for you: "Too clever is dumb".
    An American take: If you give a shotgun to a chimp, the holes in your ceiling are your fault.
    Still living in your dream - the illusion you can filter information from American propaganda, and Trump - along with the rest of his administration, and backed by the Republican Party - is some kind of businessman candidate with politics and an ideology and so forth, a regular politician you can balance off and find to be a lesser evil.

Here's a rule of thumb for handling Trump tweets, speeches, etc: Whatever bad stuff he or his supporting media yak accuses Clinton or Obama or any of the rightwing's designated evils of doing, is something he or his backers have done, are doing, or plan to do.

It's not universally true - but it will improve your forecasting abilities enormously.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  22. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Fine. If you don't have more, I have no problem if you name as US, as Syria terrorist states.
    First, I know very well that as Trump, as Obama, as every president of the US during the last 50 years can destroy most of the world. Then, the "Russian effort" is a democrats fantasy, with no more than some Russian media which have favored Trump based on his election rhetoric as the background. My position was war criminal vs. unknown, and in such a situation unknown looks less evil.
    I have not done anything, because I'm not a US citizen to elect somebody in US elections. I think that "incompetence, corruption, destruction of American political infrastructure and the like" will weaken the US government, and this is good news for the rest of the world, and for most American people too. Of course, the US will remain strong enough to destroy the world.

Cheap polemical nonsense disposed.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump discovered Assad is a bad guy today. Just days after cozying up to Assad, Trump appears to have done another 180. He learned Assad bombs innocent men, women, and children with chemical weapons. What a discovery! The world has known this for years. It hasn't been a secret. This was Obama's whole red line gig.

The education of Trump. How could such an ignorant man get elected? Thank you Electoral College. Now, Baby Bush was pretty damn stupid, but the Trumper, well, he's dumb on steroids. He's a very slow learner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.