The two state solution fate

Discussion in 'World Events' started by iceaura, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

This is AFAIK unique in US mass media: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4752349n

It's a 60 Minutes segment on the illegal Israeli settlements in the West Bank, from an unsympathetic pov. It's a little light on the facts, push on the human drama, but there it is - 13 minutes of stuff that has been almost impossible to find for many years in this context. And people here like videos for some reason.

Maybe there's hope for US TV after all.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

And hope for us all- as it steadily becomes more universally clear, that segregationism is untenable, and belongs in history's dustbin.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A surprising video. Really surprising, for US media.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Knock knock! Why the crickets here?

8. John99 Banned Banned

judging from this site?

Americans are WELL informed.

9. superstring01 Moderator

I saw it the other day and was stunned to actually see it on TV! While I'm not shocked at what the Israelis do (anybody who has ears and eyes can find out what's really going on), I'm stunned that 60 minutes did such a thorough job of digging it up and then showed it on the air.

~String

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm still stunned. Cannot believe it. But I note there has been no discussion of it. Not on any channel. So it's not that much of a change

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Is there any place I can acess the whole program?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Tzipi Livni is right. The religious nutcases need to be forced out by the police.

12. disease Banned Banned

The Israeli government is fully aware of the illegal settlements being built on Palestinian land - that is, land owned legally by Palestinians. A newspaper (an Israeli one) got hold of an official list (provided by an Israeli human-rights group) that indicates many of them are built without legal permits.

The Israeli courts, being "the most professional and fair-minded in the world", will sort it out "if information is brought to the government's attention", according to some MP dude who Al-Jazeera interviews regularly. He must mean the courts who find no cause for complaint when Palestinians are evicted by the military so an Israeli can take over their home. He must also mean the official list, which was written by the same government, mustn't he?

So he must be being deliberately obtuse and indifferent, if he already knows it's happening, mustn't he, along with all the other MPs?

P.S. Amnesty International claims it has evidence that the IDF committed war crimes in the three week "war" on Gaza. (tsk, tsk)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's not that difficult to gather evidence if you have a Satellite watching events from above. It's just identifying who is who. Obviously Israeli's are easier to tag in uniforms over those that aren't.

14. disease Banned Banned

Gathering evidence is certainly easier if the government leaves incriminating documents lying around, that reach the public domain; or a big mess that leaves incriminating military evidence lying around, with "US ARMY" tags on it. You know - tank rounds and missiles inside houses and stuff.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Pretty unlikely however in regards to the subject at hand. Not their war, any outside intervention would have to be United Nations where it honestly won't do to allow any munitions to fall into the hands of either side.

16. disease Banned Banned

Not sure I understand this. Do you mean it's unlikely that Amnesty International will find incriminating evidence, or that there is any as they already claim?

What about the list of settlements the government is well aware of, and turns a blind eye to? They even collated a list of all the ones which have no legal status. Their status is "Israeli occupied", which apparently is all the government needs to know.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I was referring to blame falling on the US, I didn't consider however how armaments from the US used by Israeli's could point at them etc. However even then there is enough munitions floating around the world with US markers to easily get planted too.

Perhaps someone should just fence off a nice big strip down the middle, Stick a nice big toxic dump in the middle with signs up saying "Keep out". I doubt anyone would be fighting for a land grab over something made into a toxic wasteland. Unfortunately though, it's not exactly a way to fix the problem.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're assuming they stay in uniform. There was an article in the Haaretz during the war that got pulled after barely a few hours. It was only by chance that I saw it.

the url was replaced with this story, but if you read the first few comments in the talkback you can tell they belong to the previous article:

Especially this one:

The author, Amira Hass is a daughter of Holocaust survivors who lives in Gaza and reports from there/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  19. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

can fit here - nothing ever changes

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

S.A.M.,
    That doesn't necessarily mean they are running around playing the opposition to shoot at themselves, they could of been trying to pull off some sort of raid.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but it might explain why half the IDF casualties were friendly fire.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Fair enough.

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.