The U.S. Economy: Stand by for more worse news

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Brian Foley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not the French Revolution reaction yet but the very rich are skating on increasingly thinner ice:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The real unemployment number may soon "stand up" (via riots?)
    Title of Bloomberg article is: "1.3 Million People Lost Unemployment Benefits. It Could Get Ugly!"
    PS: Just to help kill a false stereo-type, note there is only one or two (or possible three?) blacks in this demonstration photo above.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

here that "hog wash" is direct from the Germany's Central bank's original announcement:
    Here it is in the origial German:
    “Auf einer Pressekonferenz am 16. Januar 2013 stellte die Bundesbank ihr neues Konzept zur Lagerung der deutschen Goldbestände vor. Ab 2020 soll die Hälfte des Goldes in Tresoren im Inland, die andere Hälfte bei Partnernotenbanken in New York und London lagern. Im Anschluss hatten die rund 70 anwesenden Journalisten erstmalig die Möglichkeit, bei einer Prüfung von Goldbarren dabei zu sein.
    „Die beiden wichtigsten Funktionen der Goldreserven sind die Vertrauensbildung im Inland und die Möglichkeit, binnen kürzester Zeit Gold an Goldhandelsplätzen im Ausland in Fremdwährungen umtauschen zu können“, erklärte Vorstandsmitglied Carl-Ludwig Thiele. Die beabsichtigte künftige Verteilung der Goldbestände – die eine Hälfte im Inland, die andere Hälfte an den wichtigsten Goldhandelsplätzen im Ausland – trage diesen Funktionen Rechnung. Bis 2020 werden dazu schrittweise 300*Tonnen Gold von New York nach Frankfurt und 374*Tonnen von Paris nach Frankfurt verlagert.”

Germany is to get all its 300 tonnes back only by 2020. It does not get more official than the 16January 2012 press release by Germny's central bank to an assembly of 70 journalists but no doubt you will still claim my statement is "hog wash" instead of appoligize for your frequently repeated BS and you continue to refuse to give the link the Bloomberg you claimed to be quoting from.

Summary you are a well demonstrated / proven to be a bull shitter and LIER.

BTW, I can note for about the 8th time, that I only quoted (and gave links to) two different sources say Germany would not get all the gold it wanted back until 2020. I NEVER SAID THE WORDS YOU STUFFED IN MY MOUTH (a very common habit you have) about me claiming "the Federal Reserve told Germany it couldn't have its gold back right away and would need to wait 7 years"

I did demonstrate in a series of very fact filled posts that all 300 tonnes could be delivered to Frankfurt in less than 12 hours by only 4 of the US's 224 C-17 heavy lift cargo planes and asked you why you thought the Gemans had to wait 7 years to get that gold back. I (and many others) speculated that one reason might be that the US has encumbered the gold via leases to others. That speculation is strengthened by fact no independent audit has been allowed for SIX DECADES! Congressman Ron Paul tried hard for years to get a new independent audit done but was "stonewalled" by the administration. That does make one wonder what they must hide.

BTW there is at the quote's source a link to an 8:46 minute video of the German fault in Frankfurt, which is waiting for the gold. This is a direct link to that video:
    http://www.bundesbank.de/Redaktion/DE/Videos/gold_im_tresor.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Awesome, with one small little problem, the issue was never wither Germany wants to repatriate its gold over a period of time. The issue is and has always been your claim that The Federal Reserve told Germany it couldn’t have its gold deposits back immediately and would need to wait 5 to 7 years (depending on your post) in order to withdraw its gold deposits. You went on to speculate that the reason the Fed refused to immediately repatriate Germany’s gold was because the Fed didn’t have it, that the Fed had loaned out the gold. And you went on to say that the Fed hadn’t completed a gold audit in nearly a half century. When in fact there is no evidence that The Federal Reserve told Germany it couldn’t withdraw all of its gold deposits immediately and there is no evidence that The Federal Reserve loaned out Germany’s gold deposits and didn’t have Germany’s gold. And The Federal Reserve in fact just completed a gold audit in 2012.

I have repeatedly challenged you to produce a single credible source for your claims regarding the Federal Reserve. You have obfuscated, you have cited a number of conspiracy web sites, you have set up straw man arguments and engage in in host of ad hominem. You have stalked me in Sciforms, and you have abused your power as a moderator.

My challenge remains unanswered, one credible source that backs up your claim The Federal Reserve doesn’t have Germany’s gold and that the Fed told Germany it would have to wait 5-7 years in order to get its gold deposits back from The Federal Reserve.

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

More lies and words placed in my mouth for you to then refute. Quote me saying that and of course give link to the post as you have often invented me saying things.

As I said in last post, one reason why the Gold has not been all returned in less than a day (via four less than 12 hour trips by C-17) is that their gold MAY BE ECOMBERED (Leased out to others). I have also asked you why you think it was not returned promptly. The vault in Frankfurt is waiting and only about 1/3 full. see it in video at: http://www.bundesbank.de/Redaktion/DE/Videos/gold_im_tresor.html

Even when the 300 tonnes in US and the 374 tonnes in Paris are returned so Germany has half its gold reserve on ts own soil, the vault will be less than half full. I.e. lack of secure storage space it not why it is going to take 7 years to give Germany its gold back, but waiting for lease terms to expire COULD be.

I don't think you have English understanding problem, but just in case: "could be," "may be" & "might be" are NOT verbs of declarative assertions. I. e. AGAIN, I never said what you FALSELY claim I did.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

For starters there is no need to go back and endlessly reposts something you continue to post. You have not proven that Germany requested its gold back immediately. You have not offered credible proof that The Federal Reserve refused to deliver Germany’s gold. You have no credible evidence The Federal Reserve is not returning Germany’s gold in a timely manner.

Your referenced video shows gold in a Bundesbank vault. There is no indication that vault is or is intended to be used to warehouse Germany’s foreign gold deposits.

“Gold in the vault

The video shows gold bars in a vault of the Deutsche Bundesbank. The footage material (in HD resolution) can be requested via the Press Office of the Deutsche Bundesbank for media purposes.” – your reference

What you have done is take stuff from specious and spurious websites and offer that as proof of your conspiratorial machinations. So again Billy T. where is the credible evidence that supports your contention that The Federal Reserve is unable or unwilling to return Germany’s gold deposits in a timely manner? The bottom line is you have none and that is why you have gone on with all the obfuscation, the name calling, the straw man arguments, the bold fonts, etc.

You cannot have any degree of credibility when you use specious and spurious sources as the basis for your machinations. The bottom line here Billy T is that you have very little knowledge of economics and business coupled with a lot of misinformation which is deeply rooted in conspiratorial fantasies.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Wrong question! Where is the post where I said that? You need to stop putting words in my mouth !!!!

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Read your posts.

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I know what I wrote. It is NOT what you invented and stuffed in my mouth. Proof that false by actual quote of me (with link given) rather than more repeats of your lies.

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Applicants hoping for a summer job at Kentucky Kingdom fun park.

1 of every 4 US jobs EXISTING NOW is a part time job and all most all at the minimum wage (or less if maid etc. and BLS does not know about job, etc.) AND that fraction is increasing as more than 2/3 of ALL NEW JOBS are a part-time "Big-Mac" jobs! (But don't worry - unemployment rate dropped to 6.7% with BLS's distorting calculations.)

Don't even ask the typical college grad, living in his dad's basement if it is easy to get a jobs and start paying down on his ~$25,000 college loan or start a new family. Finding a non-BigMac full time jobs is tough in part because the old with good jobs won't give them up and retire in the tough times.

There are three ways to be dishonest: Fib / exaggerate, etc., tell "Dam lies" or use statistics.

The US's BLS, which tells us that unemployment is falling is very expert in the third way:
    For example makes no distinction between good full time and part time fill-in job at Big-Mac or some bar's rush hour. So part time "employed" Mary, whose low and declining purchasing power salary no longer lets her wash with Dove soap as she did and liked. Now she buy cheaper ivory or dish washing soap as shampoo. The BLS uses these type of facts to report the cost of personal hygiene is declining.

Buy a new car for 50% more than the old one cost? Well BLS notes that the new one has GPS, air bags, etc. and is twice the value, so cost of cars has fallen by 50%! etc. Wonderful (but strange) how the CPI is going down yet Joe Amercan can't seem to make ends meet any more, except by buying franks instead of steak. Recall the "franks & beans" lady's comments to Obama in a crowd a few years go to the effect that if things did not improve soon, she would not even be able to buy franks and beans.
    I have not heard from her recently but for typical Joe American things are growing worse still - the middle class is shrinking - a new "first for the USA."

The distorted BLS unemployment rate is starting to cause problems for the Fed who said they would stop suppressing interest rates when unemployment fell significantly below 6.5%. I.e. that may happen before the economy is strong enough to with stand normal interest rates (more than twice the current ones). If it does become a problem, I suggest the BLS claim Chinese hackers distorted their data and after correcting for that, the unemployment rate has stopped falling.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014
  14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The US Economy as seen through Federal Reserve's 6 years of "quantitative easing" and trillion dollars worth of unknownable debt. Given there's no end in sight, if you drink yourself stupid for 10 years - does that count as being an alcoholic? I just want to known what to call this mess when 2018 rolls around and "the economy" is addicted to QE 10 (or whatever new name Ole' Yeller makes up for her version of QE......maybe she'll name it Methodological Easing, otherwise known as the Fed's new Meth program?)

15. elte Valued Senior Member

Maybe they can get a job at the proposed true-to-scale Noah's Ark that Answers in Genesis wants to blow limited Earth resources on.

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Student loan debt went above 1 trillion dollars in 3Q13. That was the focus of the NY Fed's briefing. (an hour and 18 minutes) at: http://www.bloomberg.com/video/fed-...-u-s-economy-jobs-T8UNwfUxTDCkLYoBrxsUBw.html Or read: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...n-focus-recognizes-threat-to-u-s-economy.html Here is a quote from there:
    "The share of 25-year-old Americans with student debt increased to 43 percent in 2012 from 25 percent in 2003, and the average loan balance rose 91 percent, to $20,326 from $10,649, New York Fed data shows. "

Is US in "Recovery mode" or "lost generation" mode ?? Note also that the older American job participation rate is slightly increasing - all the drop to decades low is in the youth lacking jobs, even just part time / Big Mac jobs so BLS could claim they were in the work force. See dramatic graph of this here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...e-worse-news&p=3151835&viewfull=1#post3151835 (the last graph in post 670, this thread there.)

Among the many reasons for concern is that the default rate is rising (How to pay with no job or only a Big Mac job?) and the wider impact on the economy as they live at parents home - don't marry and form new families buying homes with all the applances in it, etc. Now 11.8% are 90 days behind on payments - much worse than credit card debt with its smaller total debt.

Productivity is declining in advanced economies and rapidly slowing in the emergent ones. (Lack of domestic demand means low utilization of factories etc. and certainly no need to build new ones or expand.) "... The Conference Board said: “This stalling appears to be the result of slowing demand in recent years, ..." Read their recent report at: http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/c0ea2a82-7d18-11e3-a579-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2qHFUSO95 which begins with:

" A productivity crisis is stalking the global economy with most countries failing last year to improve their overall efficiency for the first time in decades. ..." and or see my extract from it and discussion at: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...g-because-of&p=3153137&viewfull=1#post3153137

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

This one is easy, do what Australia has done and simply replace the population with people born overseas. In AU, 26% of Australians are born overseas. My guess it'll be upwards to 40-50+ % over the next 25-35 years. Then you sell off as much land and houses to the Chinese as they will buy. This is good because those Chinese can buy the appliances and the homes and your kids can rent share-houses together with their mates. Working two jobs at a Cafe' and fast-food will give you your share-rent for your share-room. Many young Aussie's didn't want to have a family anyway. Done and Done. Now all those goodies you wanted for free - well, they're not for free, but you still get to have them. Obesity and Cardiovascular surgery for all!

Peacefully replacing the indigenous population is one of those little side-effects of having a Central Bank.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not much logic here. If anything immigrants work for less and accelerate the reduction in purchasing power of Salaries - making just keeping roof overhead and food on the table tougher for many. (Even harder, not easier as you suggest, to move out of Dad's basement!) That increase of immigration does not redistribute wealth, but concentrates it as the rich now can produce in their factories with lower labor cost, even without spending for automation! "Income disparity" is already a problem and growing worse, except in countries like China (double digit real increase in salaries, as they have a labor shortage.) and in Scandinavia, where high AND PROGRESSIVE taxes provide nearly free education and health care, FOR ALL.

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not really red, with Chinese flag painted on it {yet?}, but this NYC office building with US's largest private gold vault, JPMorgans, in basement has been recently sold to the Chinese. Synopsis of new book The Big Reset on this etc.:
    * A new advisory job for Argentina's Husband and then wife presidents? They have lot of experience about how to take a nation into defaulting on it bonds - done that twice and just this past week-end devalued the currency again. US, thus far has done that devaluation, slowly but steadily. That will change soon and how to do overnight devaluation with least damage politically to the government they can help with.

BTW: Most of the real (not paper) gold available in the market has moved to Asia now from US's ETF vaults. (>80% of the deliveralble gold held at the start of 2012 by the largest gold ETF, GLD, left the vault during 2013 - see documentation in the "gold goes pop" thread. It mainly went first to refiners in Switzerland to be re-casted, then the blanks minted by coin press with mint's ID etc. into smaller than 1Kg bars** - say only 400 to 100gram bars that are more affordable for upper middle class Chinese to buy.

Thus JP Morgan was smart to sell their vault as many US vaults (perhaps even Fort Knox?) are nearly empty of US owned gold. All most all, if not all, in the Fed's NYC vault, they admit is owned by others. If you were thinking of buying some, while price was depressed, its a little late - that boat has already sailed. Price of real gold is up 5.48% in just the first three weeks of 2014. I have been actively warning you for several years, that paper gold traders would lose control of the price to the Law of Supply and Demand, soon. Looks like that is now in progress now as the small graph below shows:

** Smaller bars, like these:

After final packing, many of these blue boxes full of the smaller bars in demand go to Hong Kong by air each day. Demand for real gold has increased so much that refiners now work 24/7 and still can not meet the demand, so buyers pay 20 + or - 5% for quick delivery (Small graph shows in last 30 days price has gone up more than 2% per day. - Thus 10 days sooner delivery cancels the premium!).

Joepistole:
    Don't you have some more words to put in my mouth? Or at least say what I post is right wing conspiracy, BS with faked photos and data? As you did in post 657, 666. et. al.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Thank the GODS Helicopter Ben over at the "Federal" Reserve bailed out the richest 0.01% by shoveling generational debt onto the poorest while pulling the rug out from under anyone who may have stood a chance of creating a meaningful business and providing gainful employment.

Welcome to the New Economy.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what counting employed people as unemployed can do for your unemployment rate.

It's amazing what you can claim when you just make up numbers in order to support your ideology.

In the real world, we don't make up numbers. We don't invent fiction and call it nonfiction.

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I beg to differ about that as ShadowStats only use the BLS's own definitions and computations of about 15 years ago, before the BLS decided most of the potential labor force* could be ignored. So who really has been "inventing fiction" ?

For example, reason why BLS defined "unemployment" dropped to 6.5% even with drastic reduction in new jobs (<half what was predicted) is because more potential workers ceased to look for a job (or retired now at >10,000 per day)** than workers who found one (and 2/3 of those new jobs were part-time and / or "Big Mac" jobs, counted by BLS as if they were the same as good-pay, full-time jobs for the publicly announced "unemployment rate, even though BLS does have the data to do it their old way still - like ShadowStats still does.).

Lincoln said it well:
    (1) Can fool all of the people some of the time" (like Joe, I'll add)
    (2) Can fool some of the people all of the time" (like Joe, I'll add)
    (3) But you cannot fool all of the people, all of the time." (That's because the reality of decreasing purchasing power and falling labor participation rate is felt by the people.)

* Defined by having good health, not being in army or jail and with age between 18 and 65 as I recall by BOTH SadowStats and the pre-2000 BLS - but not by BLS's new definitions - I. e. by actively looking for work in last 30 days or with and job, even just parking cars part time for night club.

** If all but 100 workers retired, or ceased to look for a job, then the unemployment rate would 0.00 according to the BLS even with 50 million not employed and needing work! The BLS foresaw automated factories and robots coming when few would be qualified or needed as workers. This artificially low "unemployment rate" is starting to be a problem for Janet Yelin - stocks are lower now than last November with just a hint of tappen - none actually done yet. She maus invent new "rules" for continuing to pump out at least 50 billion more thin-air money each month.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well ShadowStats does more than that. They count employed people as unemployed and the Bureau of Labor Statistics has never done that. We have been down this road umpteen times before. ShadowStats is one of those fringe websites which caters to the conspiracy and right wing lunatic fringes in order to justify their ideological positions. It’s not used by investment and business professionals.

That doesn’t even make sense.

And the greatest fool of all is the fool who fools himself…something about the Emperor’s clothes seems appropriate here.