The value of having a hobby.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Xelasnave.1947, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

First perhaps share yours.
    I feel we are most of the time doing what we do for others or simply to survive.
    I believe a hobby gives one something in payment for all one goes thru, like turning up for work or putting food on the table.
    I see a hobby as the personal payment one takes for fitting in and tolerating stuff in general.
    Time spent on your hobby is in my view the reward that is there for you for all the stuff one does that really seems to be done just for others.
    Alex

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Telescope building and amateur astronomy.
    Semi-pro multi-instrument musician.
    Wood and metal worker.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Over the course of my life:
    Flying
    Rock climbing
    Skydiving
    Renewable energy
    Mountain biking
    SCUBA diving
    Electronic art

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thank you for contributing.
    You are clearly an adventurous person.
    Renewable energy have you a set up perchance?
    Also are you prepared to display any of your art?
    Alex

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Graphic Art/Illustration/Portraiture
    Scuba Diving
    Sailing
    Photography (Nature)
    Hiking
    Tropical Fish Keeping
    Yardening (Deck/fence-work/wood structures/water features)
    Astronomy
    Fiddling

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Music - composition/performance/recording
    Photography
    Building Stuff
    Brewing Beer

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Help crew a square rigged Barquentine across the Pacific from Panama to Sydney with stops at the Galapagos Islands....

Buddy skydiving....

Flying over Antarctica...

Scuba Diving...

Rock climbing.....

What I would like to do that is still on my bucket list...
    Visit Pitcairn Island...
    Stay at one of the four Australian Antarctic bases Mawson, Davis Casey Macquarie Island.

11. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Past hobbies included:
    Building model kits
    Amateur magic
    Flying
    Backpacking
    Photography (with darkroom set up)
    Electronics
    Reading

Present:
    I still like hiking/camping when I can.
    Reading
    3D model rendering.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

: puts star beside name for possible future reference :

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Try this link for one recent example of electronic art: https://www.flickr.com/photos/187415229@N06/shares/gpN2W7

Yes, get all my power from solar, which runs our house and both of our cars. We have a battery and can run off grid if we need to, but around here we never need to.

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

15. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

3d printing I want to try.
    My daughter tells me that there is now software that means you don't have to be an engineer such that you can construct a 3d render easily and print it out.
    Alex

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I did not list my hobbies which I will now do.
    Starting at childhood...
    Drawing and painting.
    Playing with a micro scope.
    Chemistry set.
    Skin diving.
    Body surfing.
    Moto cross.
    Wood work.
    Metal work.
    Plaster of Paris model making.
    Sculpting in wood
    Designing, building and flying model planes.
    Moto cross racing and trail biking.
    Building my bush house, making my own plumbing systems and electrical system for off grid. Three observatories to date.
    Vegetable gardening.
    Snooker.
    Pub pool.
    Arm wrestling.
    Judo and Jujitsu. A little boxing.
    Trap shooting
    Sckeet shooting
    Rifle target shooting
    Archery
    Square dancing.
    Ball room dancing.
    Girls.
    Kites.
    Sailing.
    Fishing.
    Gold prospecting.
    Gem stones.
    Visual astronomy.
    Astro photography.
    Telescope building.
    Astronomy mount design and build..one more to build if I can get the time.
    Cooking (Chinese and French)
    Wine making.
    Beer making.
    Keeping fish and yabbies.
    Ducks.
    Dogs.
    Cats.
    Rabbits.
    Snakes.
    Guitar, three string slide guitar.
    Brass band.
    Stamp collecting.
    Model boat building.
    Real boat building. Small sailing cruiser.
    The list is a bit all over the place but I just kept remembering things.
    Remember this is a period of 68 years.
    Current hobby astrophotography and soon a decent microscope to do photography...and look forward to 3d printing...

When I was working really hard with my business I built a boat between the hours of 11 pm and 1 am ..it was the only way I could manage the pressure..all that work I needed my time.
    Alex

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I can relate to three in your list that I failed to include in mine....Arm Wrestling[ a bloody champion!!] Dogs [had dogs all my life...German Sheperd, Labrador, two Rottweillers, and now two Miniature Dachsunds] and of course like any red blooded Aussie, Girls!!!

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Man I loved going to the pub wining the pool comp $50 or $100 in the kick and then the arm wrestling...never lost..ever.

I look thin and folk underestimate me but never beaten or in a fist fight..last arm wrestle was when I was about 65 ...go to Drake the story is still told.. but that one is probably why my back went West. It is a mind over matter thing...we only use a small fraction of our strength and I have a system to pull more out of the bag is all...the arms go blue the next day but I always went home with the cash.
    Listing those hobbies really uplifted me today, I have been in a hole, my Dad died, I just have not been able to function. But seeing my list made me realise it was his encouragement from day one that enabled me to do what ever I decided to do. But I know he was so proud of me and all I did. I am lost without him.
    When this virus thing is over you and me have to meet and see who can drink the most...
    Alex

paddoboy likes this.
  19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm 76 so have four years on you and should get four cans start OK?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Actually going on our last couple of old boys school reunions, I'm still able to knock em down, problem is that it takes far longer to recover!

two, three days after the last effort.
    Dogs, as I mentioned have always been a thing with me, not counting the two min Dachy's I have now, my last dog was a Rottweiller that lived to 13.5 years of age. That's the big doggie problem, you barely have time to grow used to them and have them as part and parcel of the family, when their time is up. He was called Rocky and although 62 kgms in weight was a big sook.
    He would love sitting at my feet while I watched the footy, licking out all my toe jam!

The many arm wrestling duels I got into, had me undefeated, except for one occasion when I had a Danish bloke simply outlast me...He was the skipper of the Barquentine I help crew from Panama and his name was Anders Jensen...although most of the arm wrestling ended up as stalemate...for some reason, I always had the strength to hold all comers to at least stalemate. Hard-boned without being brittle? I don't know...played rugby league up to Presidents Cup level and a couple of reserve grade games, and have never had a bone broken...a connection somewhere? Dunno. Only problem I really have at this time is a crook knee that often gives way on me....I did have a medial meniscus taken from it when I was 19 years old and have been told to have a knee reconstruction, but I hate bloody hospital and am putting it off, and off and off..
    Otherwise, I'm a lover [still]

and not a fighter, although in no way do I cop bullying.
    When we moved to our present house in 1983, my young bloke was 3 years old and got playing with another 3 years old boy who had two older brothers. When they were both around 5 years old, the other boy [Andrew] was often egged on by his two older brothers [about 10, 11 years old] to hit my boy. He would come home crying and his Mum would comfort him but always tell him not to fight back....It fucking annoyed me no end. After the 4th or 5th time, I grabbed him before his Mother could, and told him that next time Andrew hit him, to take the best swing he could and hit him back as hard as he could. Sure enough, egged on by his older brothers, it happened again. My young bloke did what I told him and this time he put Andrew [who was smaller then my bloke] on his arse!. It was him that ran into his parents crying. Make a long story short, they are still the best of mates with my boy being best man at Andrew's wedding.

By far the best time of my life was on the Barquentine for 4 months....skills gained, general seamanship, sail making, navigation via a sextant, over coming my previous fear of heights...I was up and out on the top gallant yard arms with the best of them! I was 29 at the time and still single.
    Went to buy some toilet paper today, just the usual, a single 8 pack, and at three stores they were sold out.....People are going absolute crazy! Anyway I settled for the Telegraph, about all its good for these days.
    Take it easy Alex!!

20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Let's make it six...I don't want to be seen as being anything but fair.
    What? I plan drinking for at least three days.
    I lived as a dog for at least five years..We were a pack..four of us...me Alfa dog. A beautiful time like no other.
    I can show you two things that will see you still beat anyone. It's not strength ..anyways you will be blown away...I did over the master of arms of a bike gang... I happened to know some guys there...I was young then forty five.
    Funny that..we moved around a lot so each new school they would want to fight me...I always flogged them with a broken nose most times..simple straight left..some went last that to experience my left cross and right cross..often I would give them a hip throw and just be my fist in their face....a broken nose works well if you are fighting a would be..does not work on a cage fighter or rugby played they just don't stop..for them an arm bar.
    Anyways all these kids I flogged became part of my group.
    That is a wonderful experience...let's buy one and do it.
    You to mate.
    Alex

paddoboy likes this.
  21. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Blender, the program I am presently using quite a bit, will output in file formats that are compatible with 3D printers.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'm going to optimistically assume you mean 'care and feeding of' as the hobby part.
    But there are some other possible farm-animal hobbies I'm trying not to think of.

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thanks for that.
    Is there any advice you can present as to buying a 3d printer.
    Alex