The varying speed of light is constant to relative time…

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by g.owen, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g.owen horseman with a banner Registered Senior Member

What in the world does that title mean? Nothing…I made it up out of frustration. Once a passion of mine, science has now become a source of disappointment. It seems that science is in chaos. It is always changing /updating. Even so called “laws” of science that are suppose to be constant are changed. I full well understand that discoveries change our understanding of the universe around us. But it has become such that science offers more confusion than enlightenment. It has become ridiculous!

It still has value. It still should march on. But I am tired of the scientists that make discoveries about our planet and the universe; then they proceed to tell us how it is and was. They say it is theory, but frame it up as though it were truth. We buy it. A few years later, it changes – speed of light constant; no, wait, it is variable; the universe is slowing down; no, wait, it speeding up; dark energy; relative time… I could go on and on. I am still fascinated by the universe and try to research things. But when I research something, I most often learn that there are multiple theories that contradict each other.

I guess it is just the way it is. We need another great genius to step forward and bring some sanity to it all. There are some great minds out there, but the problem is that there are other great minds that disagree with them.

Can someone out there tell me something that will help me with my negative perspective about science?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sure!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There are THOUSANDS of scientific principles that have stood the test of time and have not wavered. Very, very solid stuff. The things that are bothering you are on the very fringe of theoretical science (please note the emphasis) and are subject to change at any time due to recent discoveries.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. g.owen horseman with a banner Registered Senior Member

You are right. I look for science to explain the unknown (which is at the "fridge of theoretical science" - or the frontier). There is where my interests are.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Using cold, hard logic?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

You're not a scientist, are you?

9. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I would suggest that it is mainly your miss-understanding that makes it seem that way. For example, when physicists say that the speed of light is constant, they mean that the speed of light in a standard vacuum is constant.

It doesn't help that the mainstream media, which is already pretty much clueless about science to begin with, likes to over-exaggerate discoveries, explain them badly, or try to draw conclusions that aren't valid. "New breakthrough theory developed!" is a much more interesting headline than "Scientists propose slight tweak to 80-year-old theory." You see this all the time, especially with things like "Researchers send a signal faster than light!" and other such headlines.

I'd also like to quote the illustrious Isaac Asimov, who addressed the issue of science correcting itself and "changing its mind":

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.