The virus...why?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Xelasnave.1947, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

God is in control the theists say so why has he sent us the virus.
    Why does he sit on his hands and let so many innocent people suffer, die, lose their jobs, their savings etc etc.???
    It would seem he does not exist or if he does does not care.
    Alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Free will. He loves us too much to interfere. He made us and the rest is up to us. Praise be to the Lord.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

*puts on religious hat*

It's because we're all sinners. We deserve it. Besides, God didn't send it. Our free will caused it. If Eve hadn't eaten that apple in the Garden of Eden, all of this could have been avoided. It's never God's fault.

It's their own fault. He gave them the Commandments. It's their own free will that causes them to suffer. It's their fault.

He cares so much that he will leave us, with our Free Will, to sort out the problem that's our own fault. If many innocent people die before we find a solution, that's a pity and God will weep, but the die was cast long ago.

*takes off hat*

Did I get it right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I might have known its those damn girls again just there to create sin and casually be the vehicle to follow the command to go forth and multiply.

No wonder domestic violence is such a problem in theist house holds...nothing like a bit of free will so you can give the wife a good flogging, particularly given on attendance at confession forgives you so you can do it all over next week.
    And I think the Bible is probably a little too easy restricting the size of the stick you can beat a wife with to only the size of your finger...such a pity free will could not let you get something decent like a baseball bat.

Why women don't run at full speed from religion beats me...

You would think god would have realised they would be nothing but trouble and not created them..but then he built this nice torture chamber known as hell for punishment so I guess he had to set up to bring in clients.

It's no wonder theists keep them in their place.

I notice that our resident theists are silent when these questions are asked, well of course they must be as they certainly are not there to explain why their god got so many things so very wrong.

Of course they will when the dust settles have many accounts of how their prayers have saved a few no doubt, which I can never understand, why does he just save the odd one occasionally. What a load of bullshit the theists indulge. Looks like they certainly exercise their free will to be absolute ding bats.

Now this free will thing I am starting to doubt that it was a good idea but that's just me, ignorant of the finer detail I am certainly in no position to make a comment.

Alex

8. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

There isn't any explanation yet, for why the novel virus causes death across the age spectrum, but most infections cause mild or no symptoms.
    As if some genetic trait is involved, in say 2% of your average population of humans, as God might say.

I'm hoping that the story from South Korea about recovered patients testing positive again (the testing is part of SK's tracking effort), is about a limitation of current testing. But I suspect it could be the tests are seeing the viral RNA, but no live virus; somehow recovered patients shed viral RNA post recovery, in that case, but aren't infected.
    At least, I hope it's a testing problem . . . there was nothing in any news story that said anything about the condition of the recovered-but-positive patients. And, previously they all returned negative tests, post recovery.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Are you gods press secretary?

Alex

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There was a short verse removed from Genesis because it was so obvious.

God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

Then God said, "Just don't eat the bats."

11. geordief Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the hat James.

Look ," God" doesn't have to be merciful or embody (ironically) what mankind may consider its higher traits.

If God exists (and that is the premise) it is the God of the virus too. Why should humans have a special place in the remit of this God? Because they thought of it first?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Shuffle along ,there is room for everyone. Most of us will have relations and friends whose end was heartless and "unjustifiable"...why expect anything better for ourselves?

Anyone else want to borrow the hat?

12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

He doesn't like to repeat himself. He's tried a flood to get rid of the people he doesn't like - most of us - and the fire went out too soon. If at first you don't succeed...

(and please stop passing that hat around unless you shove it in the autoclave between wearers!)

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I like to think I can fill in occasionally.

arfa

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Why do so many humans let it happen?

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Interesting

In one corner we have puny human Minions

In the other corner we have god

Place your bets as to who has the most power to get rid of the virus

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

But you don’t believe in God, right? So why even ask the question? Humans let a lot of bad things happen - and do a lot of bad things to other humans. When I was an atheist, I didn’t ask “where is God?” I just didn’t care, then.

That’s just me.

Why do some of you who claim to be atheists, care about God? Some of you make more threads about God than theists. lol

For example, I don't believe in the existence of Big Foot, but I wouldn't start threads to make fun of people who do, I mean...why would I do that? But, if I did keep starting threads about Big Foot, maybe it is because I don't entirely disbelieve. Maybe the idea of Big Foot intrigues me, even if I don't believe. We do things for reasons, so just wondering what motivates atheists to start threads (not join threads that are started by theists, that's different) about how much they don't believe in God?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  17. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

A great point...certainly it seems the Christians who rejected the notion of social distancing over Easter could have done much better.... but what I am driving at is why would God intelligently design a virus that can do so much damage? That is the question.

Does it mean that a virus to him deserves a right to exist even though it kills his pets and causes them what would seem in necessary and in deserved hardship.

Maybe he saw that world economic markets needed a bear run or that he needed those who died in heaven to help him rearrange the furniture...I just do not understand how one can maintain there is a God who can answer prayers and in this case sit on his hands and not do something or as I would expect in a God reality not to allowed the thing to exist in the first place.

Alex

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Interesting observation.
    For me I specifically blame Jan

Some things get you going I guess and they should not of course.

Alex

wegs likes this.
  19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

As a believer, I have to say...the Bible sometimes offends me. But, honestly, I sometimes ask the same questions you do. I think that theists who have answers for ''why God does this or that'' might not be entirely truthful, or even aware at how silly they sound. Not meaning to put them down, but if God is much more powerful than humankind, I couldn't possibly know why. You know? I'm not of the opinion, though that God ''created CV19.'' But, it could be asked then, ''why does God allow horrific things to happen?'' I guess the only answer that makes sense to me, is if he stopped in the way of certain things, where would the line be drawn? If we desire to do bad things for example, even though at the time they seem fun, should God intervene and stop our choices?

It's one of those inconvenient rabbit holes that both atheists and theists seem to share. lol

Are we ''his pets?'' lol

How do we know he's not doing anything? We aren't God. I think it's easy for all of us to say, ''if I were God, I'd never let anything bad happen to anyone.'' But, as humans, we hurt each other all the time. We hold grudges, betray one another, and commit heinous acts of greed all under the guise of ''looking out for number one.''

I'm not so sure any of us would make good gods. But, I understand what you're feeling. I feel it too, at times, even as a believer.

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol Poor Jan.

Carry on, I'm just passing through, and just was curious as to what motivates atheists to be inquisitive about something they disbelieve. Not that you owe me an explanation.

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Why change the subject?
    Humans didn't invent viruses, parasites, cancer, diabetes, haemophilia, tuberculosis, polio, bubonic plague or atherosclerosis. It wasn't until the last century or so that we finally figured out how to cure and prevent some of the worst effects. Free will has no role in the damage caused by disease.
    Toss it! No, I mean, it's an interesting read, but it's not the word of any god. It was all written by self-serving men with their own perspectives, biases and agendas. If you believe in a god, it not the god of the ancient Hebrews, or the ancient Romans, or the medieval Catholic church, or Martin Luther and John Calvin. It's your own concept of a universal guiding spirit. Don't let the mean old dead guys mess with that concept!
    That's fairly easy: between what he made and what we made. Okay to be run over by a car; not okay for a child to get leukemia. Okay to shoot and blow each other up in wars; not okay to get elephantiasis from a mosquito bite. A god could figure this out without my help, but if he asks, I'm available for case-by-case consultation. Waive my fee, even.
    We don't, actually. It's all yours!

22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Lets see

You replied to Xelasnave.1947, who I understand does not believe in God. His question could even be rhetorical

However instead of answering the question you respond with a question. Interesting

My question enters the fray to invite answers to who do other posters think is the entity who should be credited with the most power to kill the virus (implied)

Xelasnave.1947 implies god, who should not have unleashed it in the first place

Yourself Wegs whose question

implies us puny Minions bear responsibility. Which is correct due to unhygienic practices

On a slightly larger view

You noted as a atheists you did not ask where is a god, you did not care. That's you. However many atheists do so, during various crisis, because the event does not fit with the message about god, coming from religion. Never has, never will

Religion more than willing to claim responsibility for good news

Earthquake hundreds of homes damaged, it's a miracle no-one killed or injured

Infectious disease, thousands die, where's religion, Nothing to do with us. What god made the virus? Yes for bats, god didn't tell you to eat bats. That's on you

As to the sub text "let it happen" (Which is correct due to unhygienic practices) lets take the next step

Who is trying to stop it? Puny human Minions or god?

Place your bets, the book is still open

Rant over. Need coffee

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Yabbut, really, most of the people who are dying of it now, right this very minute, have never so much as entertained the ghost of a notion of eating a bat, ever. Religious dogma is really, really good at punishing the innocent.