The Will

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Prince_James, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Mosheh Thezion:

Whereas you are right that there exists no other creature on this planet that makes suicide an art such as we human beings, many animals exhibit behaviour which sacrifices their individual lives, which is as suicidal in its end result as anything else, is it not? Mother's sacrificing themselves for their children, soldiers for the queen, et cetera, et cetera. Moreover, elephants have been known to also feel such potent grief as to refuse food and to essentially kill themselves.

And oh, I have no intent on killing myself. At least not until I can match Nero's, "What an artist this world loses in me!"

That, my good man, was a death for the ages.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

both the mother and the solider... would prefer to kill.. rather than die.

suicidal people... dont kill themselves in defense against possible death.

-MT

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Mosheh Thezion:

But oftentimes that struggle comes at the acceptance of a greater likelyhood of death which would not befall them should they abandon their aims. For instance, if the mother cougaress left her cubs to be devouered by a hungry bear, rather than fought it until it was torn apart, the chance of life would almost be assured. Does not this willingness, then, to accept such a high possibility of death, demonstrate that life cannot propel truly be so engrained as an object of all our wills?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.