The Wise and God

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by martillo, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Tralay Registered Member

why is it that you think that human concepts have no construct in the universe? do you think humans work outside of the universe?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Definition of concept. 1 : something conceived in the mind : thought, notion. 2 : an abstract or generic idea generalized from particular instances the basic concepts of psychology theconcept of gravity.

Google

noun
    ˈkɒnstrʌkt/
    1. 1.
      an idea or theory containing various conceptual elements, typically one considered to be subjective and not based on empirical evidence.
      "history is largely an ideological construct"
    Google

Human thoughts are thought within the Universe yes

Nobody I am aware of works outside of the Universe

What exactly are you questioning?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tralay Registered Member

because this was your statement and I wanted to see if you would expand on that for me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

OK I see your point

All human thoughts (ie electrical and chemical impulses) do not have substance

They do not have a construct (in the other meaning of the word)

While a EEG can produce squiggles on graph paper to indicate the brain is working and brain scans can indicate various sectors of the brain deal with various concepts

No machine reads the brain and provides a voice translation oh any thought

And no disection or operation on the brain has removed a thought for examination

Thoughts as entities do not exist

8. Tralay Registered Member

maybe you should refresh your perspective on the subject.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2012/01/31/scientists-decode-brain-waves-to-eavesdrop-on-what-we-hear/

9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Interesting research

I note about 6 years old

I also noted that there was no mention of any similarity between various patients brains and the squiggles produced for any particular word

Which to me indicates that any "mind / audio translating reader" would require individual calibration

Even at that level a brain activity, which receives sound and translates said sound into words which the patient understands represents something, still does not consist of substance

While it might be possible to process the brain waves back into the sounds which produced the wave in the first place and after calibration spit out a sentence

you still have not produced a PHYSICAL object

I guess at a stretch you could say that sound waves are a physical manifestation of the thought

As it's 6:30 am here
    I haven't had breakfast yet
    and your link has provided
    food for thought I plead for
    a little more thinking time

Tralay likes this.
  10. Tralay Registered Member

Hahaha, it is a bit mind bending and kind of a stretch of the understanding but essentially, the very inrush of electrons which cause the pulsing frequency on our ewey gooey gelatinous matter to cause it to decode into some sort of seemingly etherial visions, actually have a mass, now it is a subatomic mass, but a mass ne'ertheless. So, therefore on a subatomic level it is a physical event. An interesting side note that just hit me, would we be aware of ourselves if we had zero sensory detections from our surroundings ever? Would we have any thoughts at all? Of course, that takes me to the idea that possibly our memories are much like the PHYSICAL reaction that happens on kodak paper when it is being implemented with an exposure to a scenery.