The word "Paki" debate...

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Muslim, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

As a Pakistani, I've called myself a "Paki" when I've been around friends, to project some kind of a "gangster" image. But generally we consider anyone using the word Paki to be immature or uneducated. But in some contexts when your goofing around its cool, for example when I used to work, I had a black manger he used to call me a "Paki" I used to call him "nigger" it was totally cool, but that was an understanding between me and him, I wouldn't go around throwing that word to someone I was no familiar with.

The word Paki has generally been used in a derogatory term in England by white nationalists.

What's everyone else's take on this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've never had an issue with it. I call my cousins Pakis

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

I call my Pakistani people, Pakistani people.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

What is wrong with Paki? It sure ain't sand nigger, hodgie, snake charmer, towelhead or camel jockey. Seems respectful to me but at the same time I would figure pretty much anyone would rather just be called their name.

8. draqon Banned Banned

paki sounds disrespectful to me.

its like calling Americans, Americs...retarted.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

no, it is like calling Americans, Amis, I don't have a problems with either. It is a simple and logical shortened form of the too long word...

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I try to know what peoples names are so that I can call them by their names not slang.

11. draqon Banned Banned

yes cosmictraveler, not long avatar name

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

From Draq to Cosm

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just call me COZ for short.

13. electrafixtion Registered Senior Member

Honestly Dragon, if we were friends that hung out and that term offended you, I would make it a habit to cease using it. That's just called basic human respect.

But I would remind you that Czechoslovakian people are called Czechs, Polish people are Poles, Norwegian are Norse, Swedish are Sweds, etc.

Pakis could be a less than respectful term if someone were to say "hey, look at that stinking bunch of dirty pakis"

but if it was used for instance in the Olympics and a commentator states that the Pakis are really getting a great deal of medals this time, that's another story.

Point is, it seems kind of gray rather than being out and outright derogatory.

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Because Pakistan has such a bad reputation, I think Paki will mostly be seen as derogatory. I know Japanese that call themselves Japs, but, mainly just imitating what someone from AU or Americas would say, so they think this must be disrespectful. I suppose because Japan is Nippon they also think Jap shows even more ignorance than normal - so they can call the last laugh there. I've been called Yank and Sepo, Yank is fine, but Sepo is a slander.

etc...

15. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

The 'Paki' word is distasteful, derogatory and offensive. It is gutter language, just like the words ‘nigger’ and ‘chink’. From what I know, ‘paki’ is not considered offensive in the US. In the UK it is regularly used by racists, it is used in reference to all people from the Indian subcontinent and sometimes against those that follow the Islamic faith. Calling some Pakistani matey a ‘paki’ is akin to calling black person a ‘nigger’.

Yeh right, just because you hate (and are obsessed with) Pakistan and its people doesn't mean everyone else hates them.

Anyway, tell us about America? what are the two things most associated with Americans? I'll tell you, obesity and stupidity.

16. John99 Banned Banned

Nice finish there. After he lectures everyone about derogatory and offensive words.

Paki word is virtually unknown in U.S.

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Most people in the western "civilized" world, see Pakistan negatively. One could say it's our fault, but, really, come on. India mind you, is fine, only Pakistan is seen negatively. So, of course, to refer to a person as a Paki would be an Insult.

Hell remember that Sinfield episode where the guy misses his letter and ends up deported and "stuck" in Pakistan and he repeats over on over "I kill you". God that was funny.

Two things associated with America? Right now?
    1) Obama POTUS
    2) Housing crisis/Economic collapse

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Paki was the English shorthand for many years. When immigration occurred(to the west) from India and Pakistan in the 70s-80-today, non-immigrants managed to make the "Paki" sound a lot like nigger.

In about 10 years you are going to be able to lose your job for calling someone an immigrant.

I love it, I love being able to destroy people just using words. Please outlaw MORE words. Wimps.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It's pretty ridiculous to consider "Paki" an insult. As has been pointed out, it's no different than Swede, Pole, Yank, Czech, Norse, etc. Who wants to say Pakistani when they could say Paki?

Fortunately, in the US there's not much call to use either word so the issue is strictly academic to us.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

i would introduce you as "someone from pakistan" or a "pakistani" or some other term that you agreed with.

i don't consider "paki" as being derogatory.

21. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

India is fine? Where they beat women and do witch hunts?

http://www.desiloaded.com/file/299-supposed-indian-witch-tied-and-beaten.html

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Of course you don't really have Pakistani people..

23. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Again, just because you hate Pakistan and its people with a passion (something continuously demonstrated by your posts in this forum) doesn't mean everyone else does. And that bit about India being fine is laughable, the average yank could not distinguish between a Pakistani and an Indian, they can't distinguish between anyone with brown skin, another thing, there is a lot of overlap between Pakistan and India (language, dress, religion, culture, architecture etc.), your understanding of the situation (as usual) is nonsensical. Pakistan was actually India a while back.

Really? Those in their teens and twenties have grown up watching the stupid blood-crazed Bush administration presiding over the US and effing up the rest of the World - the last 8 years will not be forgotten, particularly by the young.