Thermodynamic Breakdown of a Fan

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Layman, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

No, an air conditioner has a radiator outside, so it pumps heat out of your house into the (hotter) air outside. It is a heat engine running backwards, with a mechanical work input, and transferring heat from a lower temperature heat source to a higher temperature heat sink.

I do not understand your point about hot air being less dense and rising. It's true of course, but what is its significance in this context?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

I was answering Motor Daddy's question. A bunch of hot air would take up a lot more room than cold air.

Last time I checked, the AC blew air into the house. Mine must have been installed backwards...

A refrigerator is air tight, and when you plug it into the wall it adds energy to it as well. It seems to be a scam as well.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Both the ac and refrigerator work on the same principle, they absorb the interior heat in the evaporator coil which is cold due to low pressure refrigerant circulating inside, and the refrigerant absorbs the heat and transfers it to the outside condenser coil, where that coil absorbs the heat from the refrigerant and is cooled by the cooler outside air, where the outside air absorbs the heat, and the cycle continues...

They are both exchanging heat from interior to exterior, and that requires energy to do that, as evidence by your high energy bill, in units of kilowatt-hours, which is a unit of energy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You are a lost ball in high weeds!

The air conditioner blows cold air inside the house the hot air is expelled into the outside. Go to the outside portion of the air conditioner and feel the hot air coming out of the air conditioner and be amazed. With your confusion about air conditioners, I can only hope that you don't have your sitting on your coffee table humming away!

Look at the back of the refrigerator you will find a radiator; the radiator is were the waste heat is being directed. It is not being directed back into your refrigerator!

8. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Now you know exactly how lost you all sound. Anyways, I will still enjoy having a cooler room by using a fan, and I won't have to be bothered by the annoyance of it going right on me. I won't have to break a sweat for it to work either, and I live in an area with almost 0% humidity. Cold glass of lemonade sounds good too. Too bad you guys won't ever be able to enjoy it.

9. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

If you keep paying your electric bill you'll be fine. Just keep paying and they'll do the work for you. You wanna play you gotta pay!

10. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

There are several types, but all the vast majority of household air conditioners are air source, rejecting the heat to the air outside (exceptions are water or ground source). All of those have a fan in that outside coil thingie (called a "condensing unit"). If you have a window unit, it may not be completely evident, because both the inside fan (evaporator fan) and outside fan (condenser fan) are run on the same motor and shaft.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Wow, must be Arrogant Ignorance Night. For your sake, I hope you are trolling. Because otherwise, this is some of the dumber analysis and more stubborn ignorance I've seen here.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Mostly, it's the other way around. Water is an unusual substance in that it expands on freezing. Most substances contract when they freeze.

12. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Then it still seems that you failed to realize that this swamp cooler diagram shows the air being blown inside of the house instead of outside. If you have ever seen one it would be completely obvious that it is blowing air inside not outside!

13. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

So, trolling it is, I guess. That's all wrong:
    1. That's an air conditioner, not a swamp cooler.
    2. It clearly shows two fans (one labeled a "blower") and two separate airstreams, one inside and one outside.

Sometimes playing along with the person trolling an playing dumb can be fun, so...

Here's a picture of the other type of typical home air conditioning condensing unit (on a "split system" because it comes in an inside part and an outside part):

Can you see the fan?

14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I hope he is trolling and not really that confused, but I wouldn't put money on that based on his track record!

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The inside air is being circulated from the air intake in the house, blown across a cool evaporator which is colder than the warm air, so the heat from the air heats the evaporator, which means the air is colder because it lost heat to the evaporator. The air is then blown back into the room. The interior air is having the heat removed from it and blown back into the room.

The outside air blows across the condenser, which is hotter than the outside air from all the heat that the refrigerant picked up from the evaporator. Since the condenser is hotter, blowing outside air across it cools it.

The outside air remains outside at all times. The inside air remains inside at all times.

16. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Yikes, no kidding!

17. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

When you sweat you are getting less dense, and you are being cooled.

You just stated that evaporation...

In order to evaporate the volume must increase. The mass is the same, but at a greater volume it is less dense. Less dense water freezes faster than more dense water. Right?

18. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Oh please, the first pic you posted was a swamp cooler, so you say "no it wasn't" and post up an AC unit? You changing to a different pic doesn't change the fact that the first one was something different. Did you see the cut out of the wall in half a window? By the way, yes I know AC units have fans on them, but they still don't suck air out of your house like you mentioned earlier. Swamp coolers have gone obsolete as it is anyways. Then even though they may not blow the same air from outside as into inside, they still require energy to do that.

Have you ever notice that a personal heater has heating coils and a cooling fan doesn't require a radiator? According to the laws of thermodynamics it should be the other way around. Personal heaters would not require anything other than the fan, and cooling fans would require a cooling system. Then that is not the case.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The funny thing is everyone here EXCEPT YOU understands what's going on. The first picture is NOT a swamp cooler. Many things in the picture give that away INCLUDING the omission of a water pipe bringing in water. That is a key ESSENTIAL element in ANY swamp cooler.

And your note about personal heaters is just plain nuts also!

20. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

A small fan motor will get warm, but won't produce enough heat to warm a 10'x10'x8' room from 30 degrees to 80 degrees in 1 minute. You get the picture?

Want to heat the room faster? Then build a fire put a heating element in front of the fan. Power the heating element and watch it glow red! That red is hot, careful, don't touch it!

Blow air across the hot element and since the air is colder than the element, the heat from the element will heat the air, and the air will warm up to 80 degrees in the room pretty darn quick if you know what you're doing and build a nice heater. If no, then not so much.

Now, about that radiator deal...

So in a car, a radiator has coolant circulating through it because the water pump if forcing coolant to flow through the engine, hoses, radiator, and even the heater core (for interior heat). The engine is producing heat, and the coolant is cooler than the engine, so the coolant picks up the heat from the engine (which means the engine lost heat to the coolant, and is therefor cooler) and is circulated to the radiator. Air flows across the radiator, and since the radiator is hot from all the engine heat that the coolant removed from the engine, the radiator heats the air that flows across the radiator, which means heat is lost to the atmosphere!! So indirectly, the engine heat is being removed by the cooling system and being dumped in the cooler atmosphere.

Sound familiar? Starting to get the picture?

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You must be a troll. Nobody could be genuinely that thick.

22. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Wow.

23. Layman Totally Internally Reflected Valued Senior Member

Amazing, it doesn't take long to remember why I stopped talking to you people. The picture is clearly marked inside and outside with a barrier (wall) going through the whole diagram. You really need a pair of glasses. Also a swamp cooler that goes into a window does not require an outside source of water going into it. It is like, "What planet do you come from?"

The thing is that, from my experience of using fans, it has become clear that using them actually makes the room colder. Having a scientific point of view on things, that forces me to conclude that a normal fan does not make it hotter. The experiment overrides scrupulous reasoning. No matter how much you argue that it heats up the room, I will never go for it, because the whole time I will be reading it in a room that I have to use a fan to get it cooler. End of story!

Edit: Jesus Christ, it even had a brown window seal in the diagram as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.