Theta

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Traverse, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Traverse Registered Member

Driving in Greece back in 1996 I mouthed-out the Greek-alphabetised road sign for Thessaloniki, and was surprised to realise that the symbol for Theta (at the start of the signposting word) resembles a round mouth with the tongue horizontally across (& between the teeth) as one's making the "th" sound. Is this actually the origin for the Theta symbol?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I looked up the Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Greek_alphabet which says theta derives from the Phoenician teth, which is a circle with a diagonal cross inscribed in it. So that doesn't seem to fit your theory, unfortunately.

I was curious to see that the Phoenician alphabet only specified consonants, and the comments that this is more suited to Semitic languages. I recall from my time in Dubai that modern Arabic is like that too - only the consonants are written, I think, the vowels sounds being interpolated from the context. But I wonder if our forum member @wegs may know more about this - though she is of Persian rather than Arab extraction.

Traverse likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.