Thiaoouba Prophecy?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by exsto_human, Nov 2, 2003.

?

What's your opinion?

1. Don't Believe

44 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Believe

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Know

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I can remember the all-round disappointment when "Lobsang Rampa" was exposed as a plumber's son from Plympton. He'd been "required reading" for anyone that wanted to be "cool" at my school.

Yup, fiction published and pushed as fact. But nothing in the book other than the story itself. I had hoped for an addendum that "explained" how he could validate his experiences, but nope. Other than the sentence stating he'd thought he was dreaming and realised he was awake the whole thing might as well have been a dream.
    Waste of time.
    And harder to refute categorically since he leaves his claims unsupported. You can't argue effectively against "it happened this way and all I'm going to give as *evidence* is the story itself".
    Annoying...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

A plumber's son from Plympton.
    Of no value then.
    A tradesman's son.

How could the son of a plumber, or of a carpenter, say, ever change the world?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Very cute.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

However, are you implying that this book (the one in the OP) is as worthy of a good read as biblical texts? From any vantage point whatsoever? For real?

Could you give me an example of a passage you consider noteworthy?
    (Seriously, as I have not read the book, only excerpts found in the first few pages of this thread.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ho ho. Nice catch.

Have you read the books?
    They were, supposedly, the autobiography of a Buddhist monk and detailed many "paranormal experiences".
    The disappointment therefore was that the books were exposed as a complete fantasy, written by a guy who'd never been anywhere near Tibet.

8. liv4ever Registered Member

You are asking for something that you cannot understand. so whats the point?

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

In other words, as usual, you can't provide anything at all.
    You'd rather stick with blind, uncritical belief. And here you are, telling me to think for myself...

And I'm NOT asking for something I can't understand: I'm asking you to point out something in the book that is true but wasn't known before the book was published. E.g. something that the book has revealed to be actually true.
    It's a simple request.
    Well, it would be if there really were any validity to the book.

10. liv4ever Registered Member

SIMPLE
    Most of what is written in the book is already known. Information is not a competition. And why did you say the book is invalid in fact from your statement it seems valid. Have you miss your own point??

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Or a fantasy.
    "Most"? So what's in the book that isn't "already known"?

If the book provides nothing that isn't already known then what is it in the book that gives it any credibility as a "revelation"?

My own point? Please show me exactly where I have said, or even implied, that the book is at all valid.
    I'm interested in seeing where you failed to read correctly.

12. liv4ever Registered Member

The whole content is valid. it is so simple. Now can you point out those claims that seems so invalid.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And another hand-waving claim while ignoring my questions:

So what's in the book that isn't "already known"?
    My own point? Please show me exactly where I have said, or even implied, that the book is at all valid.

Which part of "fantasy", "lies", "contradicts known facts" did you not understand?
    I've stated this enough times by now, I would have thought.

14. liv4ever Registered Member

Ok this is based from your post [418] http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2752939&postcount=418.

At this instant, time has stopped for you, and you could remain here
    twenty or fifty of your Earthly years and then return as if you hadn’t left. Your
    physical body would remain absolutely unchanged.

something wrong with this? I told you, you wont understand this.

15. liv4ever Registered Member

All my post are my opinion. Is it hard to understand?

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Of course there's something wrong with it. Did you bother to read the entire post where I pointed out how ridiculous the claim was?
    If time was stopped how did anything happen?

You did. But on the other hand you also haven't actually explained what there is to understand.

That quote is pure bullshit. It is insupportable from any point of view other than an unthinking, uninformed and totally gullible one. It makes no sense whatsoever.
    If you think otherwise go ahead and explain it. Or simply just explain how you think it works.

And, because you obviously didn't see these the two previous times I posted them:

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And mine aren't. Is that hard to understand?

18. liv4ever Registered Member

Why are you so bothered by beliefs or ideas that you dont understand? why not learn those things that are meant for you level of understanding?

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And you're assuming again.

:roflmao:
    You really are funny, you know that?
    You keep claiming that I don't understand yet you consistently fail to do anything other than say "I believe it". You can't explain what it means, even to yourself, let alone what it actually means.
    This is the hallmark of the classic woo woo. You believe it because you want to believe it.
    And as soon as anyone asks rational questions you resort to "Well you aren't clever enough to understand".

So, one more time:
    Or simply just explain how you think it works. (The quoted claim).

And, for the 4th time:

20. liv4ever Registered Member

Your repeated inanities are interresting. please read my post http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2753534&postcount=431

Relax yourself, focus only to those belief or ideas that are meant for your understanding

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

As is the fact that you have made a claim you can't substantiate. (Which would lead me to the opinion that you can't read very well). Maybe that explains your belief in this ridiculous book.
    And the constant hand-waving instead of answering questions.

With regard to the linked post, I have asked for your explanation. And this, too, seems to be beyond your capabilities.

Another woo woo avoidance.

22. liv4ever Registered Member

The truth and answers are all within us. It is not written on something or proved by something. Is this to difficult for you to understand? And I already have so much reply about this and still you dont get it dont you? I am on this thread to share that the book is valid. thats all. Im not forcing anybody or YOU to believe it.

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Pure supposition.

So why defend the book?

Because it's not true.

Yes, you have replied. Unfortunately your replies have been bland assertions, devoid of content AND meaning.

Yet the book, as has been shown, is not at all valid.

And I note that, once again, you have failed to provide any explanation. Bearing in mind Feynman's quote "If you can't explain something to a first year student, then you haven't really understood it" I am led to believe that your "understanding" of this book is nothing more than a "gut feeling" (i.e. unsupported/ unsubstantiated belief) as opposed to understanding.

In other words you're promoting something that you yourself don't understand, you just happen to "think it's true".