Thinking 'I Can Do Better' really can improve performance

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Telling yourself I can do better, can really make you do better at a given task, a study published in Frontiers in Psychology has found.
    Over 44,000 people took part in an experiment to discover what motivational techniques really worked. In conjunction with BBC Lab UK, Professor Andrew Lane and his colleagues tested which physiological skills would help people improve their scores in an online game.
    This complex study examined if one motivational method would be more effective for any specific aspect of a task. The methods tested were self-talk, imagery, and if-then planning. Each of these psychological skills was applied to one of four parts of a competitive task: process, outcome, arousal-control, and instruction.
    People using self-talk, for example telling yourself "I can do better next time" - performed better than the control group in every portion of the task.

http://www.science20.com/news_artic...y_can_improve_performance_study_finds-175725?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wellwisher Banned Banned

Religion has taught the method of faith for centuries; Faith is the belief in things not seen. With faith, one believes in an unseen and unproven future, causing the future to change into the image of the belief.

In this case, the gamers were told to believe in their ability to develop better skills, visualizing this with only imagery that does not have a tangible basis in reality. They plan in abstract space, therefore nothing should happen, since it is not done in tangible space.

Science is way behind in terms of things of the mind. This could be due to the atheist religion having infiltrated science. Atheism is a mirror religion that claims the opposite of religious claims and has made it take until now to see how faith works.

Say we used the atheists assumption, that faith has no value. We run a new set of experiments where the researchers will tell the experimental subjects to visualize, while also telling them that no matter how they visualized, in abstract reality, nothing will happen, since faith is foolishness. This experiment would plant the suggestion of failure so the future comes to fruition in the image of negative visualization.

Liberalism does this too. It suggests irrational things which are forced down everyone's throat through peer pressure, misinformation, manipulation and law. Through faith in the wrong things, the future of culture changes into the image of the irrational. But not everyone is vulnerable to the scam. If you know about faith and how whatever you plant will be sown, then you can pluck out the weeds and maintain a clean garden of the mind with a good harvest in the fall; as you sow, so shall you reap.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Well, it looks like Wellwisher is allowed back in the science section. How sad for us...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

This is not at all surprising, nor is it especially new. I am confident one could find dozens, probably hundreds, of studies that reflect the same effect.

And Wellwisher, positive thinking is quite distinct from faith.

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You could start by pulling the weeds out of your ears.
    Stop talking twaddle in the science section.
    Open something in free thoughts or the cesspool if you want to stand on a soap box.
    Alex

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I appologise to you Wellwisher I get tired of folk having a go at atheists and so I barked at you that was wrong and I say I am sorry.
    Alex

10. The God Valued Senior Member

Qualifier needed.

Positive thinking certainly leads to enhanced confidence and faith in one's ability.
    Yeah, its right it has got nothing to do with faith in God or religion.

There could be empirical evidence of better results with positive thinking, but may not be explained by logic. Similarly there could be empirical evidence (based on experience) of betterment with faith in religion or God, but may not be explained by logic. Moreover in this case problem is who would vouch for such observations, except the one who is pushing God, which may not be sustained and may be seen with doubt or can be refuted by logic.

11. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Except that articles like this point to the opposite: science is way ahead of religion in terms of the mind. Religion has made vague claims, but only science has actually produced results. Science can tell you how to go about improving your life.
    Except that this is not what "faith" is. No faith in the divine was involved here. Nor do atheists claim that people can't sometimes get a benefit from being deceived.
    Given how wrong you are about science and religion, perhaps you are also wrong about "Liberalism"?