This made me f%$#^& so mad!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by paddoboy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-sumatran-elephant-leg-severed-rope.html

Sumatran elephant found with leg almost severed by rope
    February 19, 2016

Warning: Some viewers may find the following photograph disturbing. Photograph shows the injured elephant.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

An injured Sumatran elephant calf pictured after its leg became entangled at the Balairaja wildlife sanctuary in Bengkalis, in the Riau province of Indonesia's Sumatra island, on February 18, 2016
    A Sumatran elephant calf lies stricken in the jungle in Indonesia as conservationists fight to remove a rope tightly wound around its leg that almost caused the critically endangered animal to lose a limb.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-02-sumatran-elephant-leg-severed-rope.html#jCp

I have been criticised in the past elsewhere by the bleeding heart brigade, that those arseholes caught poaching Rhino horns, Elephant tusks, Tigers and such, need to be stood up against a wall and shot.
    I know we need to get to the top echelon, but the eternal ever lasting damage these low life are doing is ghastly to put it mildly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Please could you modify the thread title to warn about the upsetting image?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yep, OK Daecon.....
    We cannot change or add to the heading, sorry about that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Ah, well thanks for trying anyway. Some wildlife "sanctuary".

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The problem will not go away by catching the poachers. More will follow as long as there's money. (Let's not forget, much of the world is poverty-stricken).

The problem will not go away until the people with the money stop paying for it.

Concentrate your efforts on the citizens who pretend they're not the problem.

Edont Knoff likes this.
  9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I recognise that problem, and understand the difficulty in getting to the top, as I have mentioned in my OP, but what do we do in the meantime?
    A sorry state of affairs when our children may see a world without Rhinos, Elephants and Tigers in the wild.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That is what you do. You'll have to recognize that it won't be fixed in your lifetime. But start now and you can leave a legacy.

Pfft. Captain Kirk, Spock and Scotty fixed that problem. Just slingshot around the sun!

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid my sympathies do not really extend to the poachers to any great degree, as many are no more then plain murderers of the human kind.
    How many Park Rangers have been killed in doing their duty?
    I don't know what the solution is...perhaps its a combination of many solutions, including standard death penalty for any poacher caught.

And yes, as I noted to someone in another thread using the same poverty and hunger argument as an excuse to halt or limit space exploration, I most certainly do do my litle bit by sponsoring a child.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Who was suggesting anything about sympathy? I am simply suggesting that concentrating on the supply is a losing game. The solution is to concentrate on the demand.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Agreed......Except perhaps concentrating on all aspects would be more appropriate

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I have edited the opening post. It's ok to report these kinds of things, as moderators can edit the posts if necessary.

paddoboy and Daecon like this.
  15. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Thanks for that James. That image breaks my heart.

I'd completely forgotten that there was a spoiler code.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Rest assured Daecon, it also broke my heart and made me cringe that such things are still happening.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member