This teleportation thingie...

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Jez, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Jez Optimist Registered Senior Member

Can someone tell me more about how teleportation works?

I know it has something to do with "connecting" two particles to eachoter and then by manipulating one of them the other one will also be manipulated, dispite the distance between them... but what I didn't remember was how this third particle worked, the one which is used as a transporter (if i remember correctly)... and why it had to be destroyed after it had been used... could someone refresh me on this? I would appreciate it!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Search on "Quantum Entanglement".

Also, seek out a publication entitled "The Physics of Star Trek" for an explanation of the forseeable technological improbability of teleportation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. JoeBlow Registered Member

I didn't know that teleportation had hit the consumers market yet. Please tell me where I can subscribe to get one. I'm sure everybody is itching to get there hands on one and the backlist must be miles long.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jez Optimist Registered Senior Member

Im afraid that the only thing that scientist yet has been able to teleport is photons (spelled correct?). We are a long way from teleporting for instance a human because it requires a computer that can read every single atom in the human body and then rebuild a perfect copy somewhere else... u see the problem here I guess

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums Jez.

I was under the impression that quantum entanglement referred not to particles being teleported, but to the observation that when you affect one particle of two particles which have been associated, you can observe a similar effect or response in the other.

9. Jez Optimist Registered Senior Member

Im under the same impression. =) Quantum Entanglement has to do with Teleportation though... but of course it is not the same thing...

10. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Einstein once called it "spooky action at a distance" I believe.

The teleportation used in Star Trek is horribly inaccurate though. For example, when beaming down to the surface of a planet there would be no device to reassemble the atoms and rematerialize you. Even the slightest, tinyest movement while the computer is scanning the locations of the atoms inside your body and the scan must be done all over again, unless you want your ribs to be rematerialized inside your heart. The computer power would be absolutly immense, many many terabytes worth (if not a few petabytes), and that's just for one person. But what the hey, it was nice and sparkly looking =P

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

12. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Does this mean I got something right?