Those who are against fur or eating meat for "moral" reasons are simpering turds

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by You Killed Jesus, Sep 18, 2002.

1. sinecure71 Registered Senior Member

Not all vegetarians give up meat for moral reasons. I've been a vegetarian for a long time, just didn't care much for the taste of meat so gave it up all together. I have no problems with others eating meat - we are by nature meat eaters. If anything it is the vegetarians who are acting bizzare (myself included)!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kristen Registered Member

I think that the difference between us and other animals is that humans are more self-aware and mentally complex. We can contemplate the morality of our actions, and thus have the responsibility to do so.
    Furthermore, not all animals are carnivores. Humans have more physiological commonalities with herbivores than with carnivores, which supports the idea that it is not natural for humans to eat meat.
    I have read that the origin of our meat-eating days came at a time when there was a shortage of edible vegetation like during an ice age for instance. Due to necessity animals became food for us, but that time has long passed.
    Now, producing meat for food uses more than 50% of our water. In addition, 1/3 of ALL of the resources that we use in this nation goes to producing meat! Our taste for steak is ruining our environment and killing us. The U.S. Surgeon General says that 69% of all deaths in the U.S. can be attributed to diet.
    We should see meat-eating for what it is....an addiction.

The first step is admitting it....

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We have canine teeth. We have incisors. We have sharp vision, and are adept at detecting motion. Our bodies have a need of dietary protein that many vegetarian diets cannot provide. In what sense do our bodies have more physiological commonalities to herbivores?

- Warren

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i dont understand people who think that not eating meat means we dont kill things

u DO know what happens to a letuce when u pick it?
    u cut out the "heart" which is actully the whole plant less the roots

betroot u kill

celery

brocally

need i go on

all veg are like that

if u take into acound the plants "children" then thats all the fruits gone too

so whats left?

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Steak is tasty. It's that simple. If humans were tasty, I'd eat them. Why shouldn't I eat cows?

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

heheheh

i think i could make humans tasty if u give me a volenter xev

its all about the herbs:m:

10. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

You look pretty tasty from here.

- Warren

11. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

I take the middle road. I like fish best. Anyway ...

Is it "morally wrong" to kill something that was only alive in the first place so that it could be killed?

12. kristen Registered Member

I am refering mostly to information taken from the book: Food for the Spirit, Vegetarianism in the World Religions

"For example, carnivores do not sweat through their skin; body heat is controlled by rapid breathing and extrusion of the tongue. Vegetarian animals, on the other hand, have sweat pores for heat control and the elimination of impurities.

The saliva of carnivores contains no ptyalin and cannot predigest starches; that of vegetarian animals contains ptyalin for the predigestion of starches.

Flesh-eating animals secrete large quantities of hydrochloric acid to help dissolve bones; vegetarian animals secrete little hydrochloric acid.

The jaws of carnivores only open in an up and down motion; those of vegetarian animals also move sideways for additional kinds of chewing."

Do you think that we evolved for hunting and eating meat out of necessity?
    As far as the protein thing goes, I think it just depends on which side you believe. I have always eaten a lot of protein to build muscle, as I like to work out at the gym. However, I have read that it is the position of The American Dietetic Association (ADA) "that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases." Some people say that meat-eaters actually get too much protein. I guess that protein effects our ability to absorb calcium, and too much of it contributes to problems with osteoporosis. Anyway, I think avoiding heart disease, (the #1 killer), is probably more of a problem than not eating enough protein. Not eating meat reduces your risk by 90%.

Also, about killing plants...
    is that really your argument? every time I see this argument I wonder who would actually make it...
    there are obvious differences with taking the life of an animal, who has known emotions and the ability to suffer, than with taking the life of a plant, who has no known abilities. Maybe its just the lesser of two evils, to kill plants instead of an animal, but you must admit that your argument is more incendiary than substantive.

13. kristen Registered Member

"It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings"

Kurt Cobain

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

that is the stupidest think i have ever herd

we have eyes that face forward like a preditor rather than sideways like prey

and its all about that people

preditor or prey

ur one or the other or both

law of the jungle

and havent ANY of u herd of OMNIVORS????????????????

that means u r designed to eat BOTH, MENT to eat both

us, dogs, monkeys are all omivors

15. hazy Registered Member

Take carnivores. They have claws and a short digestive tract. Humans on the other hand, have flat flexible nails. Compared to other carnivores, our canine teeth are pretty small, even smaller than herbivores like gorillas. Also we have a long digestive tract and flat molars that are better suited for a fruit, vegetable, and grain diet.

:m:

16. kristen Registered Member

Asguard:
    I think you are just mad...
    I meant no disrespect, I was just adding to the conversation.

I think it is interesting that you think we can be predator, prey, or both, but not neither. Can't a highly evolved species who has no known predators make a conscious choice not to prey on other beings?

17. hazy Registered Member

I think animals should have rights... rights such as not having unnecessary pain inflicted upon them. Humans can decide to not inflict unnecessary pain onto them. The world we created so far offers a variety of food, many alternatives to meat. Because of that, humans have a responsibility of not harming animals. Animals don't have the ability to understand this moral question so saying that animals eat meat doesn't make that we should too. Their environment is usually different from ours too, whatever is available is food.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no actully

we like to think we r highly evolved but we r locusts

we use up everything in an area and then run

see preditors r good, they help control populations of there prey they work with nature

humans DONT

we change everything and use it up

19. kristen Registered Member

humans could be considered highly evolved if compared to say, an amoeba...I wasn't necessarily talking about humans though, I was just wondering whether your world allows for the possibility of being neither predator nor prey....
    would have to agree that "we use it all up"
    but I also agree with Sartre...I think that we define our own existence.
    starting with your own actions: if you don't like it, change it....that's what I try to do.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i gave up on that cause the only way i could see to change it was mass murder on a global scale

21. kristen Registered Member

Are you suggesting that cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, lambs, etc. exist only because we use them for food.

I know what you are saying, but come on...they were here before we started breeding them for food production.

Maybe it could be considered even worse morally that we breed them for the sole purpose of making them suffer.

what kind of animals are we?

22. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

hungry... where do you live Bebelina, and Xev?

23. MacZ Caroline Registered Senior Member

I totally agree. Veal, goose livers, etc., are up at the worst end of it.

But there's lots of other stuff too, like testing products on animals, and human suffering as well. How picky do the moral vegiies get on these fronts?